two smbd instances
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinkhole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: two smbd instances Reply with quote

Is there some reason why two smbd processes would be started by default? I've uninstalled and reinstalled samba 3.0.7 and it always starts two smbd processes. Is this for performance or is this an error?
sinkhole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: ok, more than one OK Reply with quote

Never fails... I post then find some useful info. Found at http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html that an smbd process will be running for each user and guessing it starts two by default, although it doesn't state that.
sinkhole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: if it ain't broke... third process Reply with quote

Got samba working again (things were broken after upgrading the Win98se system to WinXP PRo and making some smb.conf foul-ups).

With a connection to the samba share from WinXP I get a third smbd process. Really not sure what the other two are doing at that point, but it's working!
nobspangle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always two spare, starting samba starts two listening daemons. When a client connects to one, another is automatically spawned to give extra capacity.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: