painfully slow install - cdrom?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prolix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: painfully slow install - cdrom? Reply with quote

i'm having some major speed issues with booting off the cd.

it boots fine, but takes forever to get to the prompt where i can login and install. in my quest to narrow down problems i've also tried redhat and slackware, same (if not worse) issues with those distros. same deal, booting off the cd. the redhat install barely even moves, slackware is super slow.

i've been thinking its my cdrom, but i've swapped it and i still get hte same problems. right now its ide, and i put in a scsi, so the system was all scsi and i got the same problems.

here is my setup:

dual ppro 180's
intel providence pr440fx system board
608 megs of ram (2 256's, 1 64, 1 32)
adaptec on board 7880 ultra wide controller
dual ibm ultra wide drives
ide 56x cdrom drive (running on primary ide controller as master)
intel on board nic, etc etc

the scsi stuff is all setup right, the drives are SE/LVD and i'm using the correct cables and have an active terminator on the end so i'm about 95% sure thats correct. i've got win2k on one of the drives and it runs fine, zero problems. no errors in teh logs, cdrom works fast no problems at all.

the minute i stick a linux boot cd in it all goes to hell, its so unbelivably slow. i have to put in the gentoo cd and leave the room for a while until it boots. no errors though. just slow. with redhat it would hang at /sbin/loader for a good 20 mins. slackware goes ok until i get into setup and then the screens take minutes to redraw.

i've read there are some dma problems with the newer linux kernals if your hardware doesn't support it or something, but wouldn't i get the same problems in windows?

this post rambles a bit but i would appreciate anyones ideas or suggestions on this.

Last edited by prolix on Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:01 am; edited 2 times in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try taking out the weird little memory sticks?
prolix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, memory didn't even cross my mind. i've taken the damn drives apart and reconfigured everythting on this box EXCEPT the memory.

i did what you suggested, took out the 64 and 32 meg chips and it works great now. left the 2 256 meg chips in. this board takes goofy memory and i had the 64 and a couple 32's around so i tossed them in. seemed to run ok so i didn't even think about it. i should have known to check the memory...

thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: