None of the above -- keep the existing look and feel
3%
 3%  [ 118 ]
Total Votes : 3147

scharlach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So You're going to vote for graphical installer, too? What about some "leading" flash trailer? Sorry, don't get me wrong. No "old" gentoo advocacy. But do You really think all those "cinematic" designs with > 3 "navigation areas" (ads ignored) are superior i.e. "ergonomic"?
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scharlach wrote:
So You're going to vote for graphical installer, too?

What do youy mean with a graphical installer of a webpage? If you are not talking about a webpage I fail to see the relevance in this thread, start a new one.

Quote:

But do You really think all those "cinematic" designs with > 3 "navigation areas" (ads ignored) are superior i.e. "ergonomic"?

Yes, I think clearly grouping things that "belong" together with each other including using images (added using CSS for full accessibility) to quickly create visual recognition is immensly superiour to the mess we have on the old site.
volkris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Ranked voting? Reply with quote

I wonder what would have happened had people been able to use ranked voting on this...
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice design, Thank you.
A smile of joy since I was born.
emily bronte
maninthebox1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 gentech
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting ended a long time ago, and the winner was chosen.
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but what has happened since?
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aridhol wrote:

i guess they are trying to build a homepage with the new design. it´ll take some time! just be patient. 8)
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
aridhol wrote:

i guess they are trying to build a homepage with the new design. it´ll take some time! just be patient. 8)

A bit of progressinformation would be nice. It has been two months.

Are they having trouble with something?
Lack of time for the project?
Almost done?
Never really got off the ground?
Etc, etc.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes a long time to build a website, esepcial one of this size. Every page asto be compeltely re-written, all the docs, everything.

There is no since to release a partial website, once everything is down, I imagine they will release it then.
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought the whole reason the Gentoo site is written in XML was to be able to change layout and design without having to change each and ever page.

At least that is how I understood it when the contest were announced...
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched around through the mailing lists and can't find anything about the new design going live.When is it planned?

/me is off to #gentoo to ask rac or ian!
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aridhol wrote:

A bit of progressinformation would be nice. It has been two months.

Are they having trouble with something?
Lack of time for the project?
Almost done?
Never really got off the ground?
Etc, etc.

let me quote an admin fom a thread you seem to know! Gentoo Webdesign Contest. Locked, and other moved to dups

klieber wrote:
The vote is now posted in Gentoo Chat. Please remember that Gentoo is made up of volunteers and so things often take a bit longer than you might like. It also means that we aren't always able to communicate as much as you might like as well.

Those are simply two of the less-appealing things about volunteer-run organizations. You can either live with that, do something about it (like, volunteer *your* time to improve the lines of communication) or purchase a license from one of the commercial linux vendors.

--kurt
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:

let me quote an admin fom a thread you seem to know! Gentoo Webdesign Contest. Locked, and other moved to dups

Yes, I also recall responding to that, but never got a reply. You'd see that if you bother to read the whole thread.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aridhol wrote:
loki99 wrote:

Yes, I also recall responding to that, but never got a reply. You'd see that if you bother to read the whole thread.

first of all, i don´t think, that it is kliebers or anyone elses job, to find something you could contribute to. that is not the way this whole thing works.

and since you do not seem to be using gentoo at the moment, i can understand, that it will be hard for you to contribute.

i didn´t read all of those "contest-threads", so i don´t have an opinion about admins closing some of those. all i´m saying is: gentoo is given to us for free and a lot of people sacrifice their spare time to make this happen! we all know they are working on the web-design project. why not just wait until they are finished?
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one that wants to know the status of the project, so don't go into my specifics.

2nd, you missed the relevant parts of the posts:

aridhol wrote:

Saw this on the Contest page:
Quote:
Also, our sincere and abject apologies for the delays in announcing the finalists. Two senior developers both managed to drop the ball, and we apologize to all of the people who have been waiting and wondering about their entries.

It would also have been a nice explanation to have had when we first started asking about this. A lot better than simply closing threads and turn it all into hush hush. We do apreciate your work. And we do understand delays and people dropping the ball. All that we can live with. But closing threads to aviod the subject isn't exacly in line with the apology that you gave on the contestpage, now is it? We waited. We wondered. And we got the "If you don't like it do it yourself" thrown in our faces.

If we should just sit back and wait, why apologuize for delays? They had no real deadline then either.

What I read into your answer is:

1. Because I am no longer actively using Gentoo I shouldn't care about how it goes.
2. Because I don't contribute I don't have any right to set demands or requests for information.
3. Because this is a project done by voluntaries, we can not ask for a project plan, time plan or even a statusmessage.

Response:
1. I like Gentoo, and would like to run it but cannot at the moment. I will be back and so I keep an eye on Gentoo during my actual hands on leave. So I do care how Gentoo moves on, and I am interested in this project, and I'm not alone, so wether or not I actually use Gentoo is irrelevant.
2. When I did use Gentoo I spent a lot of time in the forums answering questions. And in doing so, I contributed to Gentoo. What I responded to in the aforementioned thread was deeper contribution to specific projects. I didn't mention the forums since I though everyone knew you could contribute here. I guess I was wrong.
3. I'm not asking for a corporate timeplan with subprojectdates and a day to day scheduale along with a detailed plan of the participants and a dayly changelog. I'm asking for a status update after waiting two months, and after already knowing the ball has been dropped earlier in this project.

I do not think it is too much to ask that someone who knows something about this subject to post a short message in the likes of:

"Work is progressing slowly but surely. We estimate we will be done sometime after christmas" or something along the lines of that is the least I think they could post when someone asks. Instead we get bitching that we should shut up and keep our heads down.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez!
aridhol wrote:
I'm not the only one that wants to know the status of the project, so don't go into my specifics.

you were the one who mentioned your response to klieber in the first place
Quote:
2nd, you missed the relevant parts of the posts:

i didn´t miss your point. i simply don´t see it that way!
Quote:
What I read into your answer is:
1. Because I am no longer actively using Gentoo I shouldn't care about how it goes.
2. Because I don't contribute I don't have any right
to set demands or requests for information.
3. Because this is a project done by voluntaries, we can not ask for a project plan, time plan or even a statusmessage.

ad 1. you totally misunderstood me on this one.

ad 2. you do have rights, but IMO your manner is somehow inappropiet.

ad 3. you can ask for one. but just don´t get pissed when the people working on the project don´t have time to read the forums.

Quote:
I do not think it is too much to ask that someone who knows something about this subject to post a short message in the likes of:

"Work is progressing slowly but surely. We estimate we will be done sometime after christmas" or something along the lines of that is the least I think they could post when someone asks. Instead we get bitching that we should shut up and keep our heads down.

the only one i see bitching is you! no one ever told you to shut up! please stick to the facts. the way you are complaining will not get you anywhere. why don´t you cool down?
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off: I was extreamly cranky yesterday.
I read your reply yesterday and decided I was a shithead and went to bed instead of replying.
Please take total sillyness with a grain of salt. 1.5 hours of sleep and I'm now at work waiting for some students to finish a task. I'm still cranky, but I hope I'm not a total ass like yesterday. Just slap me with a limp biskit if I missbehave ;)

I think this is about the place I got the better of me, so I'll start over there.

loki99 wrote:
aridhol wrote:
loki99 wrote:

first of all, i don´t think, that it is kliebers or anyone elses job, to find something you could contribute to. that is not the way this whole thing works.

and since you do not seem to be using gentoo at the moment, i can understand, that it will be hard for you to contribute.

i didn´t read all of those "contest-threads", so i don´t have an opinion about admins closing some of those. all i´m saying is: gentoo is given to us for free and a lot of people sacrifice their spare time to make this happen! we all know they are working on the web-design project. why not just wait until they are finished?

No, it may not be their job, and I agree, but when I get "You can either live with that, do something about it (like, volunteer *your* time to improve the lines of communication) or purchase a license from one of the commercial linux vendors." I read it as either I should just refrain from holding any kind of expectations about Gentoo or make sure I'm in on the development, in which case I still can't have any expectations, or I can ditch Gentoo and buy somthing else with a commersial license.

About this being run by volunteers. I understand that, and I do not make the same expectations I would from a company. If I worked at a company I would like a lot more information. All I'm asking for here is a statusreport after two months. If I were that lax as a boss, I'd get fired.

Guess what, if I have limited time and offer it, but the Gentoo team does not have the resources to use multiple small amounts of time, then I can't really do something about it, can I? Other than the forum, which in my opinion is where people short on time should do their contributing. And no, I don't want Red Hat, I want Gentoo, so I'm not gonna change distro because of a petty thing like a small statusreport on a project.

I feel I'm getting crancy again, so take this with a grain of salt :P
Also, Rereading my reply I feel I just answered to kliebers quote and not your comment. Silly me. Why not just wait? Because we don't know if anything at all is happening. We know the ball got dropped earlier, has it again? We don't even know that...

And thank you for understanding I can't exacly contribute. I totally missread that yesterday for no reason at all.

Also that thread was made to deal with the handling of the contestproblem (Namely that you couldn't get any progressinformation about it and all relevant threads were locked. New threads were locked and moved to dups) What klieber responded to was the progressinformation, and not the handling of the problem, which was what the thread was about.

loki99 wrote:
ad 3. you can ask for one. but just don´t get pissed when the people working on the project don´t have time to read the forums.

Sorry about getting pissed. Should not have happened.
About him not reading the forum though, how is someone supposed to find out how it goes if he were interested in knowing? There is no project page, no contact information and no thread about the progress. Since I know how a new thread about the progress was handeled last time, I post here asking how it goes.

In my understanding you should only need to change the xls schema and create the new grafics for the main site, the docs, project pages and so on. I do not, however know if the same can be said about portage.gentoo.org.
I am fully aware that my understanding here might be totally wrong. I just want to know how it goes, and being told to be patient, it will come eventually isn't really answering my question.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aridhol wrote:
I just want to know how it goes, and being told to be patient, it will come eventually isn't really answering my question.

true! :wink:

i have to admit i´m curious about it too! as i understand it, the problem is, that all the devs are quite busy working on different projects and there seems to be no one, who is in charge to gather information about the projects and to communicate them to the community.

wouldn´t it be cool to have someone like a "info-admin", that we could nag about all those progress info? someone who has a good relationship to the devs, that could find out what is going on without giving them the feeling, that everyone is just sitting there complaining while they are working their butts off.

i bet it would be a lot more agreeable to the devs, if there is one person in charge to whom they report to once in a while. i think that would help getting rid of some misunderstandings.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
I searched around through the mailing lists and can't find anything about the new design going live.When is it planned?

please let us know if and what you found out, curtis119! will,ya? :)
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:

i bet it would be a lot more agreeable to the devs, if there is one person in charge to whom they report to once in a while. i think that would help getting rid of some misunderstandings.

There already is. It's called Developer Relations.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/index.xml
Giangi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Aaron Shi's design.

Very nice ..... :wink:
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
curtis119 wrote:

I've talked to 3 devs and a forum admin and the unofficial word is "it's being worked on - no idea of when it will be ready but sooner rather than later". That's all I could get out of them. Sorry.
aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
loki99 wrote:
curtis119 wrote:

I've talked to 3 devs and a forum admin and the unofficial word is "it's being worked on - no idea of when it will be ready but sooner rather than later". That's all I could get out of them. Sorry.

Thanks, better than nothing :)
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
loki99 wrote:

There already is. It's called Developer Relations.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/index.xml

thanks for the link! there is still a lot about gentoo that i don´t know. sascha schwabbauer seems to be the man for stuff like this. and this seems to be the email adress.
Quote:
5. Contact User Relations

Do you have questions about the Gentoo development community? Do you have a suggestion to improve Gentoo? Then we'd love to here them. Send an email to feedback@gentoo.org.

i just droped them a short mail. lets see if anything happens!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: