View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Wine completely freezes X Reply with quote

This one is for all you smart people out there, because after hours of struggling Im at the end of the road :-( A little background info first:

Have been running a dual AMD system for months with Gentoo 1.4rc1 and latest gentoo sources, without any problems at all. The last couple of days Ive been playing with wine - and I must say its shaping up quite nicely - but wine doesnt like GRSecurity, so I recompiled my kernel without GRSecurity enabled and started my wine experience with Crossover Office. I think I had about 7 complete lockups before I managed to install MS Office 2000. So I concluded that crossover office doesnt like gcc3.2 or something like that. So I tried the normal wine package from portage, and I pointed the c:\ option in .wine/config to the crossover office fake_windows directory, and tried installing MS ActiveSync (This is the only MS app I really need btw) And what do you know...It hangs again! Nothing works, not even remote login. And Im doing all this as normal user. Now, I know what you are thinking. "This guy got a hardware problem" Well, I cant exactly rule it out - but if I stay away from wine related stuff, and no matter how great a load, it doesnt lock up.

Any suggestions at all where I can begin to nest? Id appreciate all feedback, cheers and thank you.
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, you're not having a good time at the moment and I would have thought crossover office would have done the job nicely...

Okay, MS ActiveSync is a PDA tool I presume.. can't you use your PDA in Linux? Just a little more information please?

-/Craigo/-
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me slaps myself. So much for speaking before thinking... Well, after some more inquiries, it turns out that all load makes the computer hang :-) So blaming wine was a little far-fetched hehe. But these lock-ups started after I removed GRSecurity patch from my kernel. The second thing I did was set jiffies (?) to 100 instead of 1000. What is this jiffy thingy anyway? :-/

So the next logical step now is to undo the changes and see if that helps at all. If it still locks up, I really have to start tearing down my hardware and try to find the problem.
Just as a test to try and rule out hardware failure, Ive got Hot cpu test running in windows right now. And its been going on for nearly 10 minutes now, much longer than it takes to crash it in linux. So im crossing my thumbs its not a hardware problem :-) Ive also been trying to tail logs and dmesg, but nothing is displayed when it hangs. In any case, I think its safe to presume this is either a kernel-bug/misconfigured kernel or a hardware problem.

Edit: Ive got a Compaq with WinCE, and Id like to continue using WinCE on it. But the problem is I cant upload anything to the ipaq from linux (this is what I use activesync for). So Ive been trying to run activesync through wine and see if that can help me.
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know a few people running linux on the ipaq but then I can't actually help you out here. The last resort would be to use VMWare? I did get my spix blink camera working in there since there wasn't any linux drivers for it a while ago.

Give it a go, it should work just fine.

-/Craigo/-
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ive used it in VMWare before, but its just too bloated just to sync / upload some little file to my ipaq. Ive seen a new project appearing on sourceforge now, which seems to aim at syncing wince based handhelds with linux. Maybe worth a look...
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, it may be shakey but at least you could help out to get rid of bugs etc.

-/Craigo/-
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using computers for nearly 15 years now has taught me that strange things do happen sometime, and this certainly is one such strange thing. I cant say Ive solved my instability, although it is gone (!) I can tell you what I think caused it, and what I did ultimately to solve it. I tried updating my bios a couple of days ago (when I think about it it was after this happened, I exsperienced strange behaviour) But I lacked a win98 startup disk, so I gave this fancy windows flashprogram from Gigabyte a run. This software followed the mainboard, and is supposed to solve the need for booting from floppy.

So I pointed the windows-flash program to the new bios file, and the program worked its magic and started programming. After 100% complete, it prompted it needed to restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect. Fair enough - reboot. But upon post I saw that the version number for the bios hadnt changed at all! It was still the old bios. Trying the windows flasher again at least 4 times didnt change things. So I went to my brothers and got a win98 boot floppy and did it the hard way yesterday. And then the bios number changed, and ever since everything has been working like a charm - even crossover office and wine. One of those problems which cant be explained, just a "computer with an attitude" I guess :P
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that feeling too well.. How about this...

I spent all day trying to resolve a situation which is a monster task and then the next day, it just somehow sits in front of you which is the solution to the situation.

Why didn't the damn solution appeared in the first place?! A whole day gone and I could have done something bloody useful in that time!

That's computing for you.

-/Craigo/-
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: