Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wireless configuration and startup - The Gentoo way (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using wpa_supplicant with ndiswrapper to connect to my wireless lan at home (802.11g linksys/cisco AP using WPA/PKI)... if i boot up my machine from home it logs right on to the wireless lan, however if i go anywhere else I have to wait for wpa_supplicant to time out and manually run dhcpcd wlan0 in order to gain network connectivity.. is there a way to automate this or a fix i am oblivious to?

here is my wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1

network={
        ssid="nyneX"
        psk=bunchofreallycoolencryptedstuffgoeshere
}

and here is my /etc/conf.d/net

Code:

iface_eth0="dhcp"

#wlan0
modules=("!iwconfig")
modules=("wpa_supplicant")
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dndiswrapper"
wpa_timeout_wlan0=30

any help would be greatly appreciated!
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik the problem is that you need a "default AP with no encryption" which wpa_supplicant doesn't support.

However, the iwconfig does allow this - but you can only use no encryption or WEP - nothing else.
nyne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm

so my best bet would be start editing init scripts to attempt to grab an ip address via dhcpcd if wpa_supplicant fails? or create a different runlevel that only uses iwconfig and pass some sort of grub parameter?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I don't know - you're talking about different network profiles.

quickswitch supports this and it's in portage - but I've never tried it.
kevlinsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd like to thank UberLord for the HOWTO article. Unfortunately, I have a problem:
I do not have the wireless.example file. I remerged wireless-tools, figuring maybe it got deleted, but still nothing. I'd rather use iwconfig to manipulate my wireless than using wpa-supplicant.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevlinsky wrote:
First, I'd like to thank UberLord for the HOWTO article. Unfortunately, I have a problem:
I do not have the wireless.example file

It's included in baselayout
Code:
emerge -pv baselayout

You need baselayout-1.11.10-r4 or better
epohs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
LOL
That modules line says "don't use iwconfig". The only other mech we support for wireless is wpa_supplicant - which doesn't look like it's installed.

Try removing that line

DOH! I should've definately noticed that.

Anyhow, I commented that line out, and added RC_VERBOSE="yes" to /etc/conf.d/rc. and it didn't seem to make much of a difference

Code:
 * Starting ath0
 *    Loading networking modules for ath0
 *       modules: iptunnel ifconfig dhcpcd apipa
 *          ifconfig provides interface
 *          dhcpcd provides dhcp
 *    Bringing up ath0
 *       Configuration not set for ath0 - assuming dhcp
 *       dhcp
 *          Running dhcpcd ...                                            [ !! ]

..however, I did notice this in dmesg:
Code:
ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
ath_hal: 0.9.14.9 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413)
wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)
wlan: mac acl policy registered
ath_rate_amrr: 0.1
ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
ath_pci: 0.9.4.12 (EXPERIMENTAL)
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
ath0: 802.11 address: 00:11:95:90:ee:b4
ath0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BE traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BK traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
ath0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xdb000000, irq=10
ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 2 (2417Mhz): 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)
ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 2 (2417Mhz): 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)
ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 4 (2427Mhz): 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)

could this be a sign that MadWifi isn't installed correctly? or maybe that my kernel isn't cofigured properly?

i used genkernel to compile my kernel.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleve the problem is that you havnt installed dhcpd............................................................................. 8O

i thought i covered that allready
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: STANDARD WIRELESS INSTALL FOR GENTOO? Reply with quote

Listen all, I don't want to be flamed here, nor am I trying to flame our hard-working Gentoo developers - But SOMEBODY really ought to post an "OFFICIAL GENTOO WIRELESS HOW-TO".

After reading through hundreds - if not more - posts on this topic, I STILL haven't decided if there is a right way to install my wireless card.

Just when I think I have it, the next post says "but that is now discontinued..." or "this is now included in the xxxx package".

It's great that we can all emerge and then unmerge and then monkey around and then pray... but I like to use Gentoo and still have a stable environment (which is largely why I left Micro$oft in the first place). As someone just jumping into the Gentoo-wireless fray, I have to say it appears extremely frightening. 100 different ways to do it, THIS thread calls itself the "OFFICIAL GENTOO" thread, but it isn't really - a point strongly pointed out by uberlord to the LAST guy who asked this question.

WHERE do I go to find the STANDARD WIRELESS INSTALL FOR GENTOO?

I know it's wordy, but I have read a few others get flamed for posing this same question - a VALID question - a question that really deserves a straight answer.

If I knew HOW to install my wireless card on Gentoo, I would offer to write the HOW-TO. But since I have absolutely NO IDEA where to begin due to the conflicting threads and 100% lack of documentation on the Gentoo.org site, I cannot.

Surely wireless networking isn't THAT cutting edge?

OK, my asbestos suit is on... I await a reply (but I'm still using my cat-5 to do it!) :twisted:
BaXi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Having wierd scanning AP problem. Reply with quote

I've just setup baselayout 1.11.xx without any troubles at all. My cable network is setup and ready to go but my wireless doesn't seem to find any AP's but iwlist eth1 scanning spits out quite a few. I've tried the "any any any" method in /etc/conf.d/wireless but this is my current setup.
/etc/conf.d/wireless
Code:
essid_eth0="RU-wireless"
mode_eth0="master"
key_ESSID="xxxx-xxxx-xx enc open"
config_ESSID=( "dhcp" )
dhcpcd_ESSID="-D"
preferred_aps=( "RU-wireless")
associate_order="any"

This is what my iwlist eth1 scanning spits out
Code:
iwlist eth1 scanning
eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:02:2D:82:47:BD
                    ESSID:"RU-wireless"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.447 GHz (Channel 8)
                    Signal level:-70 dBm  Noise level:-92 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:02:2D:B1:AA:BB
                    Frequency:2.422 GHz (Channel 3)
                    Signal level:-75 dBm  Noise level:-88 dBm
          Cell 03 - Address: 00:20:A6:4F:08:97
                    Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
                    Signal level:-83 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm
          Cell 04 - Address: 00:20:A6:4F:08:97
                    Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
                    Signal level:-84 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm
          Cell 05 - Address: 00:02:2D:B1:AA:D6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Signal level:-87 dBm  Noise level:-90 dBm

and finally what my net.eth1 init script spits out
Code:
mars init.d # /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
 * Starting eth1
 *    Configuring wireless network for eth1
 *    Couldn't associate with any access points on eth1
 *    Failed to configure wireless for eth1
My wireless card is a orinoco gold pcmcia card with drivers installed and working. Use to setup my wireless under <=baselayout-1.11.xx with these 3 commands:
Code:
iwconfig ESSID RU-wireless
iwconfig key xxxxxxxxxx
dhcpcd eth1
I know there is a great chance this problem has been solved somwhere in the +70 pages these 2 wireless topics are becoming and i don't have the time nor the patience to go through it all:wink:

Thx
Andri Mar Jónsson
epohs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
i beleve the problem is that you havnt installed dhcpd............................................................................. 8O

i thought i covered that allready

I'm quite sure that I have ran the dhcpd command on this install in the past. in fact, i'm positive i have. but, that was when i was unsuccessfully trying to get a LinkSys card to work with ndiswrapper.

I suppose in the process of unmerging ndiswrapper I could've broken dhcpd too?

According to portage, I have version 1.3.22_p4-r5 of net-misc/dhcpcd installed.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epohs wrote:
I don't see anything that stands out in /var/log/

Code:
bash: dhcpd: command not found

hmm..

that i beleive means dhcpd is broken if you ran it as root i think dhcpd is supposed to be in your path so it should have ran from a root command prompt

try a
Code:
locate dhcpd
or a
Code:
whereis dhcpd

if nothing shows up thats the binary maybe try re-emerging it
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epohs wrote:

Anyhow, I commented that line out, and added RC_VERBOSE="yes" to /etc/conf.d/rc. and it didn't seem to make much of a difference

Code:
 * Starting ath0
 *    Loading networking modules for ath0
 *       modules: iptunnel ifconfig dhcpcd apipa
 *    Bringing up ath0
 *       Configuration not set for ath0 - assuming dhcp
 *       dhcp
 *          Running dhcpcd ...                                            [ !! ]

You need to emerge wireless-tools

Quote:

..however, I did notice this in dmesg:
Code:
ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
ath_hal: 0.9.14.9 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413)
wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)
wlan: mac acl policy registered
ath_rate_amrr: 0.1
ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
ath_pci: 0.9.4.12 (EXPERIMENTAL)
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
ath0: 802.11 address: 00:11:95:90:ee:b4
ath0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BE traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BK traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
ath0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xdb000000, irq=10
ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset channel 4 (2427Mhz): 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)

could this be a sign that MadWifi isn't installed correctly? or maybe that my kernel isn't cofigured properly?

i used genkernel to compile my kernel.

That's not good.
I would use the madwifi email lists for help with that.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: STANDARD WIRELESS INSTALL FOR GENTOO? Reply with quote

frozenJim wrote:
Listen all, I don't want to be flamed here, nor am I trying to flame our hard-working Gentoo developers - But SOMEBODY really ought to post an "OFFICIAL GENTOO WIRELESS HOW-TO".

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup

Quote:

After reading through hundreds - if not more - posts on this topic, I STILL haven't decided if there is a right way to install my wireless card.

Technically, there is no "right way". For example I can setup my wireless at home using either WEP or WPA security - both require different configurations.

Quote:
Just when I think I have it, the next post says "but that is now discontinued..." or "this is now included in the xxxx package".

Yeah. My fault really. Guess I should not have gotten my work included in Gentoo :roll:

Quote:
WHERE do I go to find the STANDARD WIRELESS INSTALL FOR GENTOO?

At present there isn't any official documentation - bar what's in the install guide.
However, I'll let you have a sneek peak at semi-official documentation I'm working on
http://dev.gentoo.org/~uberlord/net-book/
Please note, that it's not wireless specific, but just a nice guide about configuring networks under Gentoo

Quote:

If I knew HOW to install my wireless card on Gentoo, I would offer to write the HOW-TO. But since I have absolutely NO IDEA where to begin due to the conflicting threads and 100% lack of documentation on the Gentoo.org site, I cannot.

Tell you what, follow my guide and then email me (uberlord@gentoo.org) about any recommendations you would make to it!

Last edited by UberLord on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Having wierd scanning AP problem. Reply with quote

BaXi wrote:
I've just setup baselayout 1.11.xx without any troubles at all. My cable network is setup and ready to go but my wireless doesn't seem to find any AP's but iwlist eth1 scanning spits out quite a few. I've tried the "any any any" method in /etc/conf.d/wireless but this is my current setup.

Try removing the mode="master" line, set RC_VERBOSE=yes in /etc/conf.d/rc and try again
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber- you are the UBEREST!

I was just getting back to EDIT my post - I found your wiki entry (easy once I realized that 'readline' wasn't emerging so I searched google for 'readline AND baselayout' - bingo - your wiki page!).

Thanks for the perfectly painless reply, and for exactly the answer that I - and many, many others - needed.

If we can just get a link to your wiki page listed in www.gentoo.org/docs/en then I suspect that a whole PILE of frustrated folk with no network connectivity will love you.

Anywho, thx. My emerge is plodding along now just fine.
mope
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that aren't covered in that howto that I desperately need are trouble-shooting FAQ.

For example, I've been trying to handle a problem with either /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start coming back as no ath0 found or no response at all. Neither case is wireless working, though.

On my main box, I have the same kernel, same .config, and afaik, same packages emerged but no wireless on two and wireless on the main one. I can't figure this out and it's really pissing me off since I've been wasting my time for over 6 months now.

I used to have wireless-tools setup, but now I just changed over to wpa_supplicant.
On one computer this worked fine and the same two that have always given me problems, I have no idea. On one, it's a laptop with a card and one is a desktop.

Both are using d-link cards: dwl-g650 on the lappy and dwl-g520 on the two desktops.

All of them are the newest revision and use madwifi-drivers.
I don't even know where to begin because there are so many instructions floating around. But when I first started trying (and eventually got my main desktop to work) I used this thread.
groover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: essid_eth1="any" with ipw2100 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I did not really read this whole thread, but it seemed to me that this question was not asked, so it was not answered.

I have an ipw2100 driven wireless interface eth1.
I used to fire my network interface up using a python script of my own.
There are 5 wireless networks I frequently use, and as I decided to let Gentoo control my wireless connections, there was some problem after configuring /etc/conf.d/wireless.

eth1 itself works, wireless connection to my wrt54gs (Linksys router/ap) works fine, I use WEP encryption and don't broadbast my ESSID.

/etc/init.d/net.eth1 (symlinked to net.lo) works fine, in case I use essid_eth1="Streik", but not anymore if I set up essid_eth1="any". This is really annoying!

Perhaps some problems with my configuration files (don't think so),

my /etc/conf.d/net: // this works fine within my little network
Code:
config_eth0=("dhcp")
dhcpcd_eth0="-t 5 -D"

my /etc/conf.d/wireless:
Code:
essid_eth1="any"
mode_eth1="auto"

#sleep_scan_eth1="0"
sleep_associate_eth1="5"

key_Streik="<my WEP key>" // no other options set
config_Streik=("dhcp")
dhcpcd_Streik="-d -t 5 -B -D"
fallback_Streik=("10.10.10.4/24 brd 10.10.10.255")
fallback_route_Streik=("default via 10.10.10.23") // <- is this possible?

<some other network configurations>

my output not using RC_VERBOSE just said * Failed to configure wireless for eth1 [ !! ], with RC_VERBOSE it looks like this:
Code:
bomile.root( /etc/conf.d ): /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start                                                                                     18:01:45
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Starting eth1
 *    Loading networking modules for eth1
 *       modules: iwconfig essidnet iptunnel ifconfig dhcpcd apipa
 *          iwconfig provides wireless
 *    Configuring wireless network for eth1
 *    Connecting to "any" (WEP Disabled) ...                                                                                                          [ !! ]
 *    Failed to configure wireless for eth1                                                                                                                [ !! ]

If I use essid_eth1="Streik" everything works fine.
I wonder why the script prints out WEP would be disabled?

In general, would be nice to see any suggestions and tips about wireless configuration using the Gentoo-way and about exactly this problem.
Are there any experiences about this using the ipw2100 drivers, is it possible with them to use essid_$iface="any"?

Oh, ah, some words to my currently installed software
(emerge eix !):
Code:
bomile.root( /etc/conf.d ): eix -s -I ipw -c                                                                                                      18:38:40
[ I] net-wireless/ipw2100 (1.1.0): Driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 3B miniPCI adapter
[ I] net-wireless/ipw2100-firmware (1.3): Firmware for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 3B miniPCI adapter

bomile.root( /etc/conf.d ): eix -s -I wireless -c                                                                                              18:38:43
[ I] net-wireless/wireless-tools (28_pre6): A collection of tools to configure wireless LAN cards

bomile.root( /etc/conf.d ): eix -s -I baselayout -c                                                                                        18:39:27
[ I] sys-apps/baselayout (1.11.10-r6): Base layout for Gentoo Linux (incl. initscripts and sysvinit)

I think this should be everything, thanks in advance,

kraM
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: essid_eth1="any" with ipw2100 Reply with quote

groover wrote:

I did not really read this whole thread, but it seemed to me that this question was not asked, so it was not answered.

Actually, this question has been asked in many forms many times.

essid_eth1 is used for setting the ESSID name. That is it. If you set it, it will not scan. Therefore it will only try to connect to one AP.
The except is the ESSID "any". That's a special ESSID which tells the driver to pick any ESSID it can. That is not scanning - you have no control over the AP the driver selects.

This is thoroughly described in wireless.example - there's even line in the essid_eth0 description stating "I would only set this as a last resort - use the preferred_aps setting". How can I be any clearer?

What you need is as follows

Code:

preferred_aps=( "Streik" )
associate_order="forcepreferred" # This tells us that we want to try to connect to AP's that are not broadcasting ESSID

key_Streik="<my WEP key>"
config_Streik=("dhcp")
dhcpcd_Streik="-d -t 5 -B -D"
fallback_Streik=("10.10.10.4/24 brd 10.10.10.255")
fallback_route_Streik=("default via 10.10.10.23") # yes, this is possible
groover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, okay, as I said, and as I said sorry, again, but...

Quote:
This is thoroughly described in wireless.example - there's even line in the essid_eth0 description stating "I would only set this as a last resort - use the preferred_aps setting". How can I be any clearer?

Yes, how can it be, you're right. My question was if there is any possibility that I do not have to set my last resort!

Your suggestion for firering my wireless interface up is exactly what I do not want! It would be much easier to use my script instead of opening and editing /etc/conf.d/wireless, if I'd like to connect to another AP than this I've written above.

But I'd like to have it "fully automated", and after your reply I think that this is currently not possible with my wireless interface? Remember, there are 5 networks configured in my /etc/conf.d/wireless that I quite often use.

Quote:
# "forceany" does the same as forcepreferred + connects to any other available AP

I thaught, this could be exactly what I want: First, try all configured APs, and if none of them was found try almost any other AP found by scanning.

But again, thanks for your reply,

kraM
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groover wrote:
Um, okay, as I said, and as I said sorry, again, but...

Quote:

Yes, how can it be, you're right. My question was if there is any possibility that I do not have to set my last resort!

OK - let me put it another way.
essid_eth0="FOO" will only try to connect to FOO - which is not what you want.
I've also explained that "any" won't work either for you.
You then go onto say that you doubt that your config files don't have any problems and yet it's a clear problem?

I give up!

Quote:

Your suggestion for firering my wireless interface up is exactly what I do not want! It would be much easier to use my script instead of opening and editing /etc/conf.d/wireless, if I'd like to connect to another AP than this I've written above.

But I'd like to have it "fully automated", and after your reply I think that this is currently not possible with my wireless interface? Remember, there are 5 networks configured in my /etc/conf.d/wireless that I quite often use.

Code:

preferred_aps=( "ESSID1" "ESSID2" "ESSID3" "ESSID4" "ESSID5")
associate_order="forcepreferred"
key_ESSID1="s:foo"
key_ESSID2="s:foo"
key_ESSID3="s:foo"
key_ESSID4="s:foo"
key_ESSID5="s:foo"

There you go - that works (or should) for your stated requirement.
With that config - and nothing else - it will try ESSID1, then 2, through 5. The AP's don't have to broadcast their ESSID either.
groover
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, now I got it,

thanks a lot.

I think my failure was, that I only tried to comment out essid_eth1="any" (or an ESSID name) once, and this was as there were'nt configured any preferred_aps.

Sorry for my stupidity, or so,

and again thanks a lot,

kraM
jhboricua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: weird startup issue. Reply with quote

I followed the Wireless wiki how to and after some monkeying around got my wireless card to come up. But I'm running into a problem. First, here's my configs:

/etc/conf.d/net
Code:

# Prefer iproute2 over ifconfig
modules=( "iproute2" )

# You can also specify other modules for an interface
# In this case we prefer udhcpc over dhcpcd
#modules_eth0=( "udhcpc" )

# You can also specify which modules not to use - for example you may be
# using a supplicant or linux-wlan-ng to control wireless configuration but
# you still want to configure network settings per ESSID associated with.
modules=( "!iwconfig" )

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# WIRELESS (802.11 support)

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_eth0="-Dipw"
wpa_timeout_eth0=60

# config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
# dhcpcd_eth0="-t 15"

/etcwpa_supplicant.conf
Code:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1

# EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 configuration for RADIUS servers that use the new peaplabel
# (e.g., Radiator)
network={
   ssid="Zerochill"
   key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
   eap=PEAP
   identity="myuser"
   password="mypassword"
   ca_cert="/etc/cert/zerochill.pem"
   phase1="peaplabel=0"
   phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
   priority=10
}

Now, when I do
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
from console I get the following output:
Code:
* Starting eth0
 *    Starting wpa_supplicant on eth0 ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *       eth0 connected to "Zerochill" at 00:30:BD:9A:11:E3
 *    Bringing up eth0
 *       dhcp
 *          Running dhcpcd ...                                                                                            [ ok ]
 *          eth0 received address 192.168.4.246
So far so good. I add the net.eth0 to the default runlevel, and reboot my machine, and this is what happens:
Code:
* Starting eth0
 *    Stopping wpa_supplicant on eth0 ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *    Starting wpa_supplicant on eth0 ...                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *       eth0 connected to "Zerochill" at 00:30:BD:9A:11:E3
 *    Bringing up eth0
 *       dhcp
 *          Running dhcpcd ...
 *          dhcpcd is already running on eth0                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Mounting network filesystems ...     
So the first thing that bugs me is that it says "Stopping wpa...." FIRST!!! Why?? Then it starts it again, 'connects' and runs dhcpcd, which complains it is already running on eth0. To make matters worse, it doesn't pull an IP so I end up with no connectivity. However, if I log as root and do
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
I get the first output I posted above which shows the interface pulling an IP and NONE of the complaints about DHCP already running. Can someone shed some light on this? Why is the interface able to startup fine when I run the script from console but not when the PC reboots and goes thru the startup scripts??? Its my understanding that it is using the same init.d script to bring the interface up, right?
golgo13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thuroughly confused. Am I supposed to be using /etc/conf.d/net or /etc/conf.d/wireless with ndiswrapper? Looking back in this thread it looks as though I am supposed to use /etc/conf.d/wireless however Uberlord's networking-in-progress handbook http://dev.gentoo.org/~uberlord/net-book/hb_part1_chap4.html only uses /etc/conf.d/net . Right now in /etc/conf.d/net I have:
Code:

modules=( "iwconfig" )
iwconfig_wlan0="dhcp"
iwconfig_wlan0="power period 3"
dhcpcd_wlan0="-HD"
dhcpcd_wlan0="-N"

and in /etc/conf.d/wireless I have:
Code:

iwconfig_wlan0="dhcp"
iwconfig_wlan0="power period 3"
dhcpcd_wlan0="-HD"
dhcpcd_wlan0="-N"
associate_order_wlan0=( "coachbuilder" "linksys" "ball" "dlink" "rccd" "any" )
mac_essid_000C853E2200="rccd"

Any help as to which file I'm supposed to use and where things go would be appreciated.

Another question:
When I start my computer neither file seems to help with anything. When I /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart I get the output:
Code:

* WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
 * Stopping wlan0
 *    Loading networking modules for wlan0
 *    Bringing down wlan0
 *       Shutting down wlan0 ...                                                                [ ok ]
 * Starting wlan0
 *    Loading networking modules for wlan0
 *          iwconfig provides wireless
 *    Configuring wireless network for wlan0
 *    Scanning for access points
 *       Found "Hough" at 00:0D:3A:26:CB:4D (WEP required)
 *       Found "coachbuilder" at 00:06:25:C5:29:5B
 *    Couldn't associate with any access points on wlan0
 *    Failed to configure wireless for wlan0

Next, if I
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
and
Code:
dhcpcd -n wlan0
Everything works. What is going on!!
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: weird startup issue. Reply with quote

jhboricua wrote:
So the first thing that bugs me is that it says "Stopping wpa...." FIRST!!! Why?? Then it starts it again, 'connects' and runs dhcpcd, which complains it is already running on eth0. To make matters worse, it doesn't pull an IP so I end up with no connectivity. However, if I log as root and do
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
I get the first output I posted above which shows the interface pulling an IP and NONE of the complaints about DHCP already running. Can someone shed some light on this? Why is the interface able to startup fine when I run the script from console but not when the PC reboots and goes thru the startup scripts??? Its my understanding that it is using the same init.d script to bring the interface up, right?

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78495
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: