Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wireless configuration and startup - The Gentoo way (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I'm not getting the correct baselayout...

Quote:

# emerge -av sys-apps/baselayout

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r3 -bootstrap -build -debug -livecd -(selinux) -static -(uclibc) 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

I have done emerge sync twice today (once after a fresh install, and a second time after the wrong option was offered here). I'm afraid to do it a third time as it warns about netiquette...

I tried with both masking options, but get the same results, currently my package.keywords read:
Quote:

# cat /etc/portage/package.unmask
=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.0

The only thing I can think of is that while I did the emerge sync I probably had ~x86 added to that... Could it make a differance, and will I get a ban from the server if I sync again?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Little improvement Reply with quote

kikidonk_raf wrote:

I don't need to force connection to my preferred AP's because their ESSID is not hidden. So when i'm somewhere where there are no APs, it tries to connect to my preferred APs, and it takes time..

So I introduced a new preferred_only argument "noforce", that will only connect to preferred APs if found in the scan, but not force the connection if it fails.

Thanks for the patch :)

I think I'll make the "noforce" option default though.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewbarr wrote:
I just upgraded my baselayout to 1.11.0, and it seems that /etc/conf.d/wireless no longer has the preauth_ESSID config variable. What happened to it? One of the networks I connect to requires Xsupplicant 1.0.1, and I thought that would be the perfect hook to get it to run on.

It was removed for the time-being. It may come back at somepoint, but not how it was.

If you need to run a supplicant, you can put it into preup
tam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

UberLord wrote:
The ebuild is discontinued as wireless-config is now in portage, so there should be no need.

Code:
emerge -s wireless
Searching...
[ Results for search key : wireless ]
[ Applications found : 3 ]

*  net-wireless/wireless-tools
      Latest version available: 26-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 116 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
      Description: A collection of tools to configure wireless lan cards
      License:     GPL-2

*  x11-plugins/desklet-wireless [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.2
      Size of downloaded files: 6 kB
      Homepage:    http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/categories.php?func=gd_show_app&gd_app_id=69
      Description: The wireless monitoring sensor and display for gDesklets
      License:     as-is

*  x11-plugins/gkrellmwireless
      Latest version available: 2.0.3
      Size of downloaded files: 9 kB
      Homepage:    http://gkrellm.luon.net/
      Description: A plugin for GKrellM that monitors your wireless network card
      License:     GPL-2

Hmm, I cannot find it.
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood that wireless-config is the discontinued one, as being replaced by the new baselayout scripts. Am I correct so far, UberLord?

I don't feel very well having to unmask one package (baselayout) and "~x86" two packages (baselayout and sysvinit) to get some way of not having to iwconfig my WEP key after every bootup (or hacking ~/.profile).

No offense intended, but "the Gentoo way" should be available in x86, not ~x86, and unmasked...

That being said, is the posting #1 on thread #1 still up-to-date? Since I will *not* sift through 60 pages of postings...

(/me slightly disappointed, as WLAN can't be *that* uncommon...)
Maxwell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: ipw2100, baselayout 1.11 and ifplugd Reply with quote

Hi!

I've followed the instructions on setting "wirelless the gentoo way", but, don't know why, my wireless ipw2100 works just for (and precisely) 40 seconds. It has static ip, no dhcp is working but it just works for that specific time and then it goes down. With ifplugd stopped, it starts ok, but after 40 seconds it stops.

I also noticed that the "Invalid misc" field in iwconfig eth1 is always being incremented.

Drivers are up-to-date. This happens with a wep connection, i don't have an open one! :cry:

What could this be?
Thanks in advance
HeraldMage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamina wrote:
For some reason I'm not getting the correct baselayout...

Code:

[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r3  -bootstrap -build -debug -livecd -(selinux) -static -(uclibc)  0 kB

I have done emerge sync twice today (once after a fresh install, and a second time after the wrong option was offered here). I'm afraid to do it a third time as it warns about netiquette...

I tried with both masking options, but get the same results, currently my package.keywords read:
Code:

=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.0

The only thing I can think of is that while I did the emerge sync I probably had ~x86 added to that... Could it make a differance, and will I get a ban from the server if I sync again?

I had the same thing, and discovered that today they updated baselayout to 1.11.1. If you want it, you need to change the numbers in your package.unmask. But a WARNING: It contains a new rc-scripts (1.6.1) which unfortunately does NOT exist on the mirrors yet, so emerge fails and now i'm stuck with a system I dare not shut down as I hope the baselayout/rc-scripts issue gets fixed in the early AM. I guess I can try emerging back to 1.10.4, which is the next newest ebuild I still have on my system. And here I was, trying to do the proper gentoo updates...
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very sorry state of affairs, and not really good advertising for Gentoo. It cannot be that you are forced deep into hack & beta country in order to set up your WLAN "the Gentoo way".

I urge the maintainers to come up with a solution soon that doesn't require unmasking or setting ~x86. Some people (like me) want to use Gentoo because of its ease, not because of its hack / geek value.

In the very least, give an updated how-to. Referring to a months-old posting in a closed megathread doesn't feel trustworthy, and from what I read here, I'm not in a mind to try around and potentially wreck my startup scripts...

:(
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevSolar wrote:
I urge the maintainers to come up with a solution soon that doesn't require unmasking or setting ~x86. Some people (like me) want to use Gentoo because of its ease, not because of its hack / geek value.

Networking is very much a core part of Gentoo (or any OS) - and incase you haven't noticed the network script has just undergone a total rewrite so we can support network plugin modules - for example wireless.

As it's such a core part, it's been marked "experimental" as it probably has a few major bugs still - even though it's been working fine for me and a few others for a while now.

Just incase you hadn't noticed - other packages go the same route. Gnome 2.6 is a good example as it was "released" for a few weeks before it hit ~x86 and even longer before it hit x86.
2.8 has also been released and it's not even ~x86 yet

We cannot make a special exception.

Besides, the old wireless-config ebuild is still available if you don't like it.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam wrote:
Hmm, I cannot find it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear

The wireless-config script has been incorporated into the latest baselayout (currently 1.11.1 which is package masked)
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
Just incase you hadn't noticed - other packages go the same route. Gnome 2.6 is a good example as it was "released" for a few weeks before it hit ~x86 and even longer before it hit x86.

No arguing there, and I don't criticize the ~x86 mechanism in general - to the contrary, I think it's nice thought-out.

But I want to configure my wireless, so I look on gentoo.org for help, and this very thread shows up very prominently telling me "the Gentoo way" is still deep in beta.

Quote:

Besides, the old wireless-config ebuild is still available if you don't like it.

As was pointed out previously - it is not. My portage tree doesn't offer it, either.

So, what is the non-beta Gentoo way of configuring your WLAN? I don't want to sound offensive, but it strikes me as odd that this isn't handled.
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:

The wireless-config script has been incorporated into the latest baselayout (currently 1.11.1 which is package masked)

So if I don't like to go masked / ~x86 I shall use wireless-config, which has been incorporated into the (masked / ~x86) baselayout-1.11.1?

We're going in circles here...
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevSolar wrote:
No arguing there, and I don't criticize the ~x86 mechanism in general - to the contrary, I think it's nice thought-out.

But I want to configure my wireless, so I look on gentoo.org for help, and this very thread shows up very prominently telling me "the Gentoo way" is still deep in beta.

Thats fair enough - but the forums are the Gentoo community, not Gentoo itself.

Quote:

Quote:

As was pointed out previously - it is not. My portage tree doesn't offer it, either.

wireless-config ebuild was NEVER in portage - it's a downloadable ebuild which I provided instructions for.
The wireless-config script that the ebuild installed is NOW incorporated into baselayout-1.11.1 which IS in portage.

Hopefully thats the last time I have to say that.

Quote:
So, what is the non-beta Gentoo way of configuring your WLAN? I don't want to sound offensive, but it strikes me as odd that this isn't handled.

There are many ways of configuring your wireless.

Don't want beta? Then go with waproamd which has been in portage for months. I have problems running it though - and it doesn't support many features as my script. There's a few others in portage as well - wpa-supplicant may work for you.

I don't want to sound offensive either, but there have and are many different ways of configuring wireless that have been either in portage or forum in the forums for some time.

What you have found here, started off as a very simple wireless script that has now turned into something much much bigger that has only just made it into portage. It went into portage around Sept 15th in the baselayout package. People were clamoring for it it be in portage around Feburary.

Sorry it took so long, but I AM NOT a Gentoo developer.
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we had a couple of misunderstandings here. Sorry.

UberLord wrote:

Thats fair enough - but the forums are the Gentoo community, not Gentoo itself.

When the Gentoo docs don't help, the forums are the next point people look for; and with the title of this thread and stuff in baselayout it is rather easy to get the impression you actually are in some kind of "official" function.

Quote:

wireless-config ebuild was NEVER in portage - it's a downloadable ebuild which I provided instructions for.

At least two of us fell for that trap. ;)
Quote:

Quote:

Don't want beta? Then go with waproamd which has been in portage for months. I have problems running it though - and it doesn't support many features as my script. There's a few others in portage as well - wpa-supplicant may work for you.

Thanks, that was very helpful! Now, point me in the direction of the person I have to bugger to have them mentioned in the docs... :D

Quote:

What you have found here, started off as a very simple wireless script that has now turned into something much much bigger that has only just made it into portage. It went into portage around Sept 15th in the baselayout package. People were clamoring for it it be in portage around Feburary.

And thanks for your work, I'll check it out the moment gets out of ~x86.

Quote:
Sorry it took so long, but I AM NOT a Gentoo developer.

Consider it a compliment that I took you for one. ;)
kamina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the same problem...

Quote:

=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.1

Quote:

[ebuild R ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r3 -bootstrap -build -debug -livecd -(selinux) -static -(uclibc) 0 kB

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] No

Quitting.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamina wrote:
I still have the same problem...

Quote:

=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.1

Quote:

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] No

Quitting.

Can you see baselayout-1.11.1.ebuild in /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout? If not, try emerge sycning - or is there a newer version?
kamina
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

$ ls /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout
ChangeLog baselayout-1.9.4-r3.ebuild
Manifest baselayout-1.9.4-r4.ebuild
baselayout-1.10.3.ebuild files
baselayout-1.10.4.ebuild metadata.xml
baselayout-1.11.1.ebuild

It seems to be there, but still doesnt work.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using ~x86 then you need to add the following to /etc/portage/package.keywords
Code:
=sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.1 ~x86

credo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great documentation guys. I have it working on my new card, however, each time it starts up it connects on Channel 7, not Channel 4 like I have asked. I have this code in my /etc/conf.d/wireless:

Code:

essid_wlan0="tsunami"
channel_wlan0="4"

I also have this in my /etc/conf.d/net (I dont like DHCP - its too slow for me):

Code:

ifconfig_wlan0=(
        "192.168.254.30 netmask 255.255.255.0"
)
routes_wlan0=(
        "default gw 192.168.254.1"
)

... and that is it. You see, my wireless router seems to broadcast a strong signal on Channel 4, and an incredibly weak one on Channel 7.

Cheers guys
Maxwell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like nobody noticed my post.

My problems are the following:
I've installed baselayout 1.11 as expected. No problems found. Easy configuration (Great Work!), and also installed ifplugd (which works very fine with my ethernet card).

The problems start when i put my wireless card, an ipw2100, working. Dmesg says
Quote:
eth1: Associated with 'mecatronica' at 11Mbps, channel 9
, but when i do
Code:
ifconfig eth1
it outputs the following:
Quote:
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:4 Base address:0x2000 Memory:fe8fd000-fe8fdfff

When i start the wireless card with ifplugd, dmesg outputs an error related to a wep failure or something.

The problem is that whatever i do my wireless card never runs. Suggestions?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

credo wrote:
Thanks for the great documentation guys. I have it working on my new card, however, each time it starts up it connects on Channel 7, not Channel 4 like I have asked. I have this code in my /etc/conf.d/wireless:

Code:

essid_wlan0="tsunami"
channel_wlan0="4"

In managed mode - which you need to connect to APs, the AP decides the channel, not the client.

So if you need to connect on channel 7, change the AP to channel 7.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ipw2100, baselayout 1.11 and ifplugd Reply with quote

Maxwell wrote:
Hi!

I've followed the instructions on setting "wirelless the gentoo way", but, don't know why, my wireless ipw2100 works just for (and precisely) 40 seconds. It has static ip, no dhcp is working but it just works for that specific time and then it goes down. With ifplugd stopped, it starts ok, but after 40 seconds it stops.

I also noticed that the "Invalid misc" field in iwconfig eth1 is always being incremented.

Drivers are up-to-date. This happens with a wep connection, i don't have an open one! :cry:

What could this be?
Thanks in advance

So, even with ifplugd stopped, you restart eth1 and the connection works (ie you can ping something) and it then stops after 40 seconds?

Thats really odd.

I would say it's a driver problem, or a very bad wireless signal. Could you post any errors relating to eth1, ipw or wireless from /var/log/messages?
Maxwell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, net.eth1 never gets started.Besides that, dmesg says the following when the module is loaded:
Quote:

ipw2100: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver, 0.54
ipw2100: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:04.0[A] -> GSI 4 (level, low) -> IRQ 4
ipw2100: 0000:01:04.0: Detected at mem: 0xFE8FD000-0xFE8FDFFF -> e0734000, irq: 4
eth1: Using hotplug firmware load.
eth1: Bound to 0000:01:04.0
eth1: Associated with 'RAC' at 1Mbps, channel 11
eth1: Association lost.
eth1: Associated with 'RAC' at 1Mbps, channel 11
eth1: Association lost.
eth1: Associated with 'mecatronica' at 11Mbps, channel 9

And i don't usually have metalog working and /var/log/messages isn't there. But from times to times i get the error "&ip_nat_lock writelocked". I don't why it shows up, but the wireless was working alright with it.

NOTE: After all i WAS using ifplugd with the card. I've just noticed that, as i was using
Quote:
INTERFACES="auto"
. Now it doesn't show up for 40 seconds, it just goes down after 1 second.
It's really strange, because i'm having signal strengh info on my gkrellm (always 98-100%).
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following
Code:

/etc/init.d/ifplugd stop
killall ifplugd -9
/etc/init.d/net.eth1 restart

Hopefully, that should get you connected.
Note that ifplugd doesn not work well with wireless
Maxwell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was what i thought... but today i wasn't working with it. It looks like the problem is with the wireless module load. Yesterday, with ifplgud working, i was getting a kind of error that was related to bad firmware loading. It happened with prior versions of mey drivers. Maybe the problem is elsewhere. Maybe the problem is hotplug. :?:

But i'm tired, i'm going home and tomorrow will be a brand new day...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: