Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: @boroshan Reply with quote

Thank you mate, I'm still having fun with it here! You're right about the default. I didn't even get a mesh, absolutely nothing. The thing that really caught me was the cursor - just the wristwatch. I thought it was spinning its wheels, or had just hung-up. I kept trying stuff and then ctrl-backspacing. dumb!:oops:

The really great thing is that its feature rich and still quite responsive on my puny laptop! (I'm pretty sure taviso's thumbnail function could be optimised though)
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, starting to get the hang of things...

Is there a way to make a program launcher similar to the one in WMI?
Spirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you have 18 pages? How do you switch desktops...oh Embarassed 3D is too much for my puny brain.

:-) Well, I actually have nine pages now. I used to have 27, nine pages per desk and 3 desks. But I've seen other people with with a two-row bar at the bottom, each bar having 12 desks and each desk 4 pages. 8O

I switched desktops with the keys. I bound Meta-F1 to F3 to a desk. Swallowed FvwmPager into a sidebar which showed the actual desktop.

Quote:
You don't have to host it, you can put it on one of the screenshot sites, lynucks and the like or am I missing the problem?

Not really.. I'm usually at work when I write here.. :-)

I've not yet uploaded to any of these services. But if you'd like to see my screen at the time of writing this, go to:
http://spirit.servebeer.com/screen.png This is my box, it's usually up from 09:00 am to 02:00 pm CET.
lamaistres
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a little problem with my pager. When I open a couple of windows in a desktop my pager gets a distorted windows affect like in this picture . Does anyone know what might be causing this? Configs
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
Ok, starting to get the hang of things...

Is there a way to make a program launcher similar to the one in WMI?
well, this isn't really fvwm related but gmrun (in portage) does about the same thing as wmi's app launcher if you set the TabTimeout to something other than zero. just fyi incase anyone else is looking for a launcher like this. :)
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: more config-from-scratch Reply with quote

I just posted another config-from-scratch installment to the FVWM forum. This one looks at decors in more detail, multipixmaps included.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit wrote:

http://spirit.servebeer.com/screen.png This is my box, it's usually up from 09:00 am to 02:00 pm CET.

Interesting. Kind of HR Giger Industria?

@Boroshan - I couldn't see any ss?
Spirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Spirit wrote:

Interesting. Kind of HR Giger Industria?

What, the backgound image? I don't know really, it's "mushroom" from 3dfiction.com :-)
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:

There were a few broken links with the first upload. They should be ok now.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: No links Reply with quote

Boroshan, sorry if the patently obviously has eluded me once again but I can't see a damn thing where you've left the appropriate gaps in that post on fvwm.lair. (Fancy you choosing a northeast aspect) ;-D

I just noticed DefaultFont (and DefaultIcon) in the man page for fvwm (which I'm still poring over) too!

Something or someone has started me wondering whether its possible to set a back per page?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No links Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Boroshan, sorry if the patently obviously has eluded me once again but I can't see a damn thing where you've left the appropriate gaps in that post on fvwm.lair. (Fancy you choosing a northeast aspect) ;-D

It's weird. I loaded from one box today and I can see it from a completely different one.

You don't have load images "from the originating site only" ticked in mozilla or firefox? that'd do it, since I'm hosting the images myself. Something I'll have to stop doing soon as well...

hollerith wrote:
I just noticed DefaultFont (and DefaultIcon) in the man page for fvwm (which I'm still poring over) too!

Something or someone has started me wondering whether its possible to set a back per page?

A back per page should be possible with FvwmBacker:
Code:
*FvwmBacker: Command (Desk d, Page x y) command

If the command is colorset, that'd set the background every time you changed page as well as desk. Or you could exec fvwm-root or similar.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Duh Reply with quote

You're spot on yet again - originating site only. (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you) :D The blatantly obvious escapes again!

Cheers

EDIT: I had a look, and wow that background really changes it - its like 'Lt LaForge - to the dancing girls maximum warp!' :)
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone gimme a good guide for making a nice taskbar with FvwmButtons? Taviso has a guide, but it doesn't say anything about taskbarz.

Or maybe someone can make one for me? It can't be that hard.

Here's my current taskbar, which is xfce4-taskbar. http://members.lycos.nl/ultrasupreme/taskbar.png

Here is what the fvwm version should look like, with a menu that pops out the XFCE4 menu: http://members.lycos.nl/ultrasupreme/taskbar-fvwm.png (looks much better, no?)

If I finally have that taskbar, I can have nautilus take over my desktop, so I can have a really fast XFCE4 environment + plus nautilus with desktop icons. :) It's gonna be sweet.

Thanks.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
I always assumed that FVWM created desks when they were accessed.

Errm? No. That presupposes that there's a means of *switching* to a desk in the first place -- hence some kind of declaration of the desk's existence. You can have as many desks as you like. See here

boroshan wrote:
Interesting idea for a test: use FvwmPager to popup an xmessage or something with the desk number in it when you change desks, then see what happens when you go to, say Desk 204

You could use osd_cat -- and emulate it how WindowMaker does....

-- Thomas Adam
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Modules From Scratch on the FVWM Forum Reply with quote

I just posted a companion to my config-from-scratch post on the FVWM forum. Modules From Scratch covers writing a fully functional FVWM module from the ground up. Useful if you've ever wanted to write a module, or even if you just want a better understanding of how they work.

I've got a couple more CFG posts in the pipeline as well - I just got sidetracked by this module thing :D

[edit]
Third and final part now posted. includes the source to FvwmSchedule, the module I wrote to schedule FVWM commands to execute at a later time, or at regular intervals.
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a daft question but I can't find the solution anywhere. Iconifying just looks ugly to me, and the thumbnail function that most people use is just too slow for my liking. How can I have it so Iconified apps simply disappear (like Openbox without a panel)?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Style "*" NoIcon :D
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but that also gets rid of my program's icons for things like the window list, I have dozens of styles set up like this:

Code:
Style "Firefox-bin" Icon firefox.png, MiniIcon firefox.png, EWMHMiniIconOverride

So is it one or the other? Iconbox or no icons at all:?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use both FvwmIconMan, and Icons if you so desire. Try it... :)

-- Thomas Adam
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind I've found the solution:

Code:
Style "Firefox-bin" Icon firefox.png, MiniIcon firefox.png, EWMHMiniIconOverride, NoIcon

For a minute there I thought I'd stumbled on something FVWM couldn't do :)
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Redesigning the default FVWM interface Reply with quote

Hey Gang! A moment of your time!

Over on the FVWM forum a few of us are working to design a modern default interface for FVWM. Anyone who remembers starting FVWM for the first time and thinking nothing had happened will understand why ;)

We think we've got a decent default config, and we're working on updating the module files installed by the FVWM setup script. We could use feedback on what we've got so far; we could use testers; we could use ideas; and we could use workers. Anyone who wants to chip in is welcome.

When we get something approaching consensus, we'll take the results of our labour to the fvwm-workers list.

See you over there!

[edit]

Whoops forgot the link
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Redesigning the default FVWM interface Reply with quote

Sorry I,ve been quiet for a bit as I've just switched to dvorak and now can't type using either layout. Also , given my own shameful contribution to this project I was waiting to have something really constructive to add other than oooh its really cool (which it is of course). Bizarrely, I've been having a problems activating that forum's account and as I didn't receive a mail and I'm rather fond of my handle I'm hoping the admin will just send me another or delete the account so I can try again. (I have this 'way' with machines).

I do like the look of it so far though. I can't say how important the, albeit blatantly obvious, 'CLICK ME' is. This alone will boost n00b numbers I'm sure. To anyone who doubts that fvwm needs this project then check ironphoenix's story and then check her most excellent configs to see what might have been lost.

The fvwm man pages remind me of when BlackAdder duells the Duke Of Wellington and he reads aloud 'Congratulations on purchasing your acme cannon mark blah blah blah' as the Duke lights the fuse of his. Its a terrible piece of documentation but yes its all in there somewhere if you have the patience.

This module stuff - isn't there a 'FvwmSchedule' already in existence? Does Fvwm just spawn these as seperate processes sendmessage being like asynchronous interrupts? Practically anything could be considered a module therefore?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Redesigning the default FVWM interface Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
Sorry I,ve been quiet for a bit as I've just switched to dvorak and now can't type using either layout. Also , given my own shameful contribution to this project I was waiting to have something really constructive to add other than oooh its really cool (which it is of course). Bizarrely, I've been having a problems activating that forum's account and as I didn't receive a mail and I'm rather fond of my handle I'm hoping the admin will just send me another or delete the account so I can try again. (I have this 'way' with machines).

Well, just telling us "it looks really cool" or words to that effect are encouraging enough, and clearly demonstate (to me, at least) that the efforts Nick and I have gone through are not in vain.

hollerith wrote:
I do like the look of it so far though. I can't say how important the, albeit blatantly obvious, 'CLICK ME' is. This alone will boost n00b numbers I'm sure. To anyone who doubts that fvwm needs this project then check ironphoenix's story and then check her most excellent configs to see what might have been lost.

Quite -- remember though that this is a default theme only -- it's not meant to, neither is it going to encroach on fvwm-themes. Our goals from the outset were always making the get-go more user-friendly. Of course, there's always a danger of feature-creep, and it has been very tempting to take things a lot further, but |I don't think we have, to be honest.

hollerith wrote:
The fvwm man pages remind me of when BlackAdder duells the Duke Of Wellington and he reads aloud 'Congratulations on purchasing your acme cannon mark blah blah blah' as the Duke lights the fuse of his. Its a terrible piece of documentation but yes its all in there somewhere if you have the patience.

Hmm, I have to disagree slightly there -- it's not a terrible piece of documentation. It's damn good. But where it fails is that it's a little too comprehensive. And neither are there any other mediums available. At the moment, it's really a case of man fvwm or nothing, although I am thankful to say that that situation is gradually changing.

hollerith wrote:
This module stuff - isn't there a 'FvwmSchedule' already in existence? Does Fvwm just spawn these as seperate processes sendmessage being like asynchronous interrupts? Practically anything could be considered a module therefore?

Ther's the Schedule command which does do what the education FvwmSchedule module does. But from a learning point of view, it's good to start off with.

On that note, I feel I should pay hommage to Nick Fortune for all of the effort he's put in to Fvwm lately. I couldn't have done half of the work I have been doing without him.

Thanks Nick.

-- Thomas Adam
VoiDeR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried swallowing torsmo in FvwmButtons. Ive been trying to get it to work. All the i can get it to do is flash in the box then it disapears. Top says its still running. Or is there a way to get a nice semi trans background to it without adding a spot to your wallpaper. Also does anyone know of a good tutorial on creating window decor?

Thanks
VoiDeR
Hippi@Bacarni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
In some screenshots I saw a script, which shows packages to update from portage. It is kind of the process script but for portage :) I already search for it, but i can't find it. Can somebody tell me where I can find it?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: