View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr98ai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Ati Radeon X300 support Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there is support for the x300 card? I am thinking of purchasing this card, but I would like to know how well supported it is first. The x300 uses the new pci-express instead of agp... not sure if that makes it more difficult or not. When I go to ATI website and try and download linux drivers, it lists most (if not all) of the 9xxx cards, both pci and agp, but I can't find the x300 listed at all.

If you have (not) managed to get this card working, please give me a brief description of what you done.

Thanks in advance.
njs12345
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favour and go with nVidia - their cards are much better supported in general under Linux (and indeed are probably faster)
mr98ai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, but I cannot agree with your advice. For me (this is not meant to be a flame), ATI has almost always been on top. My co-worker and I build computers once in a while, and while he has been an nvidia fan, I think he is slowly switching over to ATI.

It is possible that nvidia has better linux support, i.e. easier to get your card working, on average, then a comparable ati card, but if you can get the ati configured it will perform very well. Empirically, I have found that the nvidia's burn out quicker.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used ATI cards on Linux before? The current Linux drivers will not give you the same level of performance as the Windows drivers do, and can often be difficult to get working. They also don't appear to be improving very quickly at the moment, and I'm pretty sure the X300 isn't supported yet. They were relatively quick to get X800 support added, so it presumably shouldn't be too hard to add X300 support as well. However, you'll probably need to wait a month or two for an updated driver. You shouldn't rule out going for an nvidia card, or maybe waiting a month or so and seeing what happens. It may be worth contacting ATI and see if they can tell you when X300 support will be available.
mr98ai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Have you used ATI cards on Linux before?

I currently own an ATI Radeon 9000 pro. The first time it took me two weeks (off and on) to configure it. The second time (I use the gentoo snapshots, and do complete reinstalls) it took me a day, and last time it took me 10 minutes. Each time the card has worked flawlessly, and plays UT with the same fps as in windows xp.

I should add that mandrake 10.0 and Fedora Core 2 have out of the box support for this card. I didn't even have to configure it; it was all automatically detected and the appropiate 3d (fglrx) drivers were installed.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're sure, then go for the X300, but like I said, it may take some time for support to become available.

Out of interest, when you say "UT", do you mean the original, or 2003/2004?
mr98ai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Well, if you're sure, then go for the X300, but like I said, it may take some time for support to become available.

I am willing to dig around and work for it... in fact, I believe I used a few of your posts to help me with my first fglrx configuration :)

Wedge_ wrote:
Out of interest, when you say "UT", do you mean the original, or 2003/2004?

The original; I have not tried 2003 or 2004 on either windows or linux.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original; I have not tried 2003 or 2004 on either windows or linux.

Ah, OK. UT does run pretty well. You can usually see much more of a difference with the newer games. UT2K4 is very slow with some of the newer drivers for me, and although the older 3.2.8 driver is much better it's not quite up to the Windows level either. It seems to vary from system to system though, a lot of people do get decent performance from the newer drivers.
mr98ai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Unreal switched from an opengl type implementation to a directx implementation. If that is true, could that not be a reason for slower performance in ut 2004? Not that directx is slower than opengl, but just that these particular drivers have poor directx support, or better opengl support?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer UT games were written using DirectX, and since Linux has no DirectX support (excluding what you can do with Wine), the Linux port uses OpenGL. The Windows version runs faster using D3D than it does in OpenGL IIRC, and I think they spent less time on the OpenGL code than the D3D code. It probably doesn't help the Linux performance, but the drivers could definitely be better as well. The fastest drivers I've used were actually the old 2.9.12 and 2.9.13 versions, which I think were the last ones released before ATI moved development to Canada. After that, performance went down a bit, and hasn't really gotten back to where it was, although they have fixed several problems and made some stability improvements along the way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: