Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuchsmi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm a gentoo user and I want to run KDE on my Powerbook. Running real linux makes too many problems (no sleep, no airport etc.).

What about to run KDE as an replacement of the OSX Windowmanager unter MacOSX? Is it possible? Will Portage on MacOSX do this?

Michi
jguidroz09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
fuchsmi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuchsmi wrote:
Is it possible? Will Portage on MacOSX do this?

jguidroz09 wrote:
No.

Not possible or not portage?
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time gentoo user - recently I bought a PowerBook. Currently I don't see a reason to switch to KDE (neither I did before, on non-OSX I preferred Gnome).

• KDE is not a Display Manager
  • KDE needs a running X Window Server
  • Mac OS X's X Window Server runs on top of Quartz, Mac OS X's graphic engine.

So far I just can't figure out what you want to do exactly. If you think about switching the display manager or windowing system (as you would under a GNU system when switching from xfree to xorg or directfb), forget it, it won't work, i guess.
iTux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

fuchsmi wrote:
Hi!
I'm a gentoo user and I want to run KDE on my Powerbook. Running real linux makes too many problems (no sleep, no airport etc.).

What about to run KDE as an replacement of the OSX Windowmanager unter MacOSX? Is it possible? Will Portage on MacOSX do this?

Hi,

I assume you want to run X11/KDE instead of OS X GUI? (there is also the possibility of running both at the same time) and switching between them. Never did it for KDE but I did it for WindowMaker.

Then, yes I think you can. Edit /etc/ttys appropriately to avoid OS X to start its GUI.

You will need to compile and install X11 and KDE for Darwin.

Gentoo MacOS is still early in development. You might want to consider either Fink or DarwinPorts for xfree and kde.

Note: You will note be able to run native OS X GUI apps in that environment.

Have fun!
iTux
fuchsmi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

iTux wrote:

I assume you want to run X11/KDE instead of OS X GUI? (there is also the possibility of running both at the same time)

My Point is to run KMail, KOrganizer (Kontact), XMMS, KDevelop etc. on my Powerbook. I'm a linux user - I like OSX, OSX Mail, iCalendar is nice, KDE-Apps are better (for me).

Running the same time? Is it like pressing Cntl+Alt+Fx?
rognvaldr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

There is a native port of KDE (and koffice) to OS X... no need for X11. I have it installed, but I never use it. Works okay though.

Get it from http://kde.opendarwin.org (which seems to be down right now, but try again later)

Rogn.

fuchsmi wrote:
iTux wrote:

I assume you want to run X11/KDE instead of OS X GUI? (there is also the possibility of running both at the same time)

My Point is to run KMail, KOrganizer (Kontact), XMMS, KDevelop etc. on my Powerbook. I'm a linux user - I like OSX, OSX Mail, iCalendar is nice, KDE-Apps are better (for me).

iTux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

fuchsmi wrote:
iTux wrote:

Conceptually yes. The key combination was different. I could use either WindowMaker full screen then switch back and forth to Aqua. Or I could run X11 apps in Aqua but with WindowMaker window borders. I was doing this before Apple provide an X11 implementation.

iTux
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you can do is install the apps you want, then just run them with apple's X11 server... this is how i run GIMP 2 - the window manager is aqua but what's inside the window frame is all gimp
aside
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

iTux wrote:

Conceptually yes. The key combination was different. I could use either WindowMaker full screen then switch back and forth to Aqua. Or I could run X11 apps in Aqua but with WindowMaker window borders. I was doing this before Apple provide an X11 implementation.

How could I do this with KDE instead of WindowMaker?

I read about the native KDE implementation, but if I could take advantage of Gentoo packages I could have an up-to-date (and updatable) KDE, right?

What I'd love to do is to "emerge [any KDE package]" as much as I want. While I realize I might have to work my way through several compile problems, is it at all possible right now?
iTux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Running KDE on MacOSX instead of Quartz? Reply with quote

aside wrote:

How could I do this with KDE instead of WindowMaker?

I read about the native KDE implementation, but if I could take advantage of Gentoo packages I could have an up-to-date (and updatable) KDE, right?

What I'd love to do is to "emerge [any KDE package]" as much as I want. While I realize I might have to work my way through several compile problems, is it at all possible right now?

I was using Fink at that time. Never tried with Gentoo. You need to build KDE from Gentoo first.

iTux
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: