Locking up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blind0wl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Locking up Reply with quote

Recently if I leave my PC for a number of hours...at which point the monitor has gone into energy mode...or Ive turned it off...I get no response and no display from my machine. I dont know where to start looking at whats causin this issue, but is becoming rather annoying, that I have to do a full cold reboot just to get it to work again. I dont see any boot errors, it happens if something is running (seti) and when Im not doing anything.

Any help?

Blindy
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a virtual terminal by hitting ctl-alt-f1 ?

Is your machine overclocked? If so, is it possible that seti is overheating it ?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have X running c.q. xscreensaver, must be something that kicks in after a while, if seti is overheating will compiling not have the same results (Well compiling openoffice should ;-) ), running the processor at 100% will increase temperature in minutes. A graphics card / room temperature can add some more degrees. But doing nothing has the same results.

A likely candidate is something to do with screensaver (maybe certain one (openGL)) / powersaving. But you've got to find out the cause. Does it always happen (if you leave your computer running for x period of time) or just sometimes, does it happen when your using the computer (while compiling) / does it happen if you kill xscreensaver etc etc?

Are you sure you can't get any response CTRL+ALT+F1 -> CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Hope you'll fix it or can find the cause,

Cya lX.

PS: As said in previous post overclocking can cause strange behaviour.
Blind0wl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not able to get another terminal....numlock wont even light up on the keyboard. I havent overclocked the CPU's. And I've just woken up after leaving my PC on all night (running seti) and it hasnt locked up....woohoo...hehe. I'll look into the xscreensaver option, is there anywhere that I can look in a log file or something? Surely Linux has some form of event management...maybe there is something Ive overlooked.

Thanks for all your replys...
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux sure does have logging. Check out /var/log/

Depending on how you set up your system, you should have a system logger. I've used metalog, but others include sysklogd, myslog and syslog-ng. Instructions on setting up the logging are in the Gentoo install guide.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if you're using metalog you're probably using it for the performance benefit of buffering the log, so it probably doesn't contain the latest messages, can turn of buffering sending signal USR1 I think to metalog process. Besides if your machine is crashing, it probably has some hardware cause and changes are the fault won't get logged, but it might give some sort of clue,

Hope you fix it,

Cya lX.
william_devries
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: may be power management Reply with quote

have you tryed disabling all the power management in the bios. I have a dell i8000, and if the kernel is configured with a curtain option all apm call will couse it to freeze.
MisterX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: me too, but off the liveCD Reply with quote

For the record, the liveCD I'm using (stage1, 1.4rc4) also has this problem. If I leave the emerge-s running, I get an unrecoverable freeze. My config: OC'd Athlon @ 1.33Ghz, iWill KK266-R Mobo, PC 166 SDRAMs.

Is there something (in /proc perhaps) that can disable all the APM stuff in the LiveCD kernel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: