View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Kmail wont get already read mail Reply with quote

OK, somehow my Kmail ~/Mail directory got deleted, so Kmail made a new one. Fine so far. However, when I get messages from my POP3 server, Kmail only gets the new messages. How do I force it to get all messages that are on my mail server?
Would this also be a problem for a person who had a single email account, but logged and got mail with Kmail from 2 different computers? Ie, missed messages?
If Kmail can't do this, does anybody have a suggestion for an alternate mailer that is like Kmail (I really like it) and will play nice when I get mail on my desktop and on my PC?

Cheers
Brad
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a little trouble figuring out what you are getting at, but I'll take a crack at it. Normally by default, Kmail (and pretty much every other mail program I have used) removes messages from the server after retrieving them. You have to modify the settings for the mail client if you want them to be left on the POP server. If you accidently delete messages after popping them from the server, you are basicly SOL.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. OK, here goes - again :)
- The messages are still on the server, I have a web interface that I can still read my old mail on.
- Kmail appears to only get new messages from the server, so I can get any new messages that are sent to me.
- I can't get my old messages off the server with Kmail.

Cheers
Brad
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what i suggest you do, is go in through your web interface and use the option "mark as unread" for all the mail in there.

Then go into KMail and go into the Network tab, then to Receiving, then select your pop account and deselect the "delete messages off server option"

That will make kmail recieve all the mail and not delete it off the server, but if you read any mail on your web interface before kmail gets it, you'll have to mark it as unread.

On the whole, those are only workarounds, not solutions. And i think the problem is with the POP3 protocol, and not kmail. I sugest you look into IMAP which keeps the mail on a central server, letting you access it from where you want.

Hope i could help
Pudd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: