Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing an old joystick, plz help me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VladP12
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Installing an old joystick, plz help me? Reply with quote

I just found an old joystick that was given to me by an old friend of myns.

Its a 2 peice TOPGUN Thrustmaster (the Stick and the other part that looks like a handle in a aircraft cockpit that is used to accelerate or slow down)

I need step by step instructions on how to install it under kernel 2.6.8 and make it run with Flight gear.

Thank you
Mben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv only had joysticks in linux work if they are usb but if your kernel is set right you should be able to simply plug it in and cat /dev/js0 or /dev/js1 to see if it is working. you should get a bunch of junk and more if you move the controls . otherwise we need more info on what you are plugging it into (sound card?) then you should just be able to tell filght gear to use it though im not sure how.
VladP12
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mben wrote:
iv only had joysticks in linux work if they are usb but if your kernel is set right you should be able to simply plug it in and cat /dev/js0 or /dev/js1 to see if it is working. you should get a bunch of junk and more if you move the controls . otherwise we need more info on what you are plugging it into (sound card?) then you should just be able to tell filght gear to use it though im not sure how.

js0 or js1 doesnt work "no file or dir"
VladP12
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mben wrote:

js0 or js1 doesnt work "no file or dir"
mike4148
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it plugs into a USB port, it will probably work out of the box if you have the right modules compiled into your kernel.

If it plugs in to a gameport or serial port, try the following (all kernel options are in the Input Devices section of the kernel config):

1. Build joystick support into your kernel or as a module.

2. Build the relevant gameport driver into your kernel or as a module. For example, if you have the joystick plugged into an SB Live!'s game port, say 'Y' to "Gameport support" and "SB Live! and Audigy gameport support."

3. Build all non-USB joystick drivers as modules. Note the names of all the modules (they show up in the help screen in the graphical kernel configs).

Build and install the new kernel, and boot into it. Try loading each module with modprobe, one at a time. For each, see if you have /dev/js0 and/or /dev/input/js0. If you do, see if it works (you'll probably need to calibrate it first; search the forum system for info on that). If it does, you're done. If not, rmmod the last driver and modprobe the next on the list.

If none work, then it's likely that there is no driver for your joystick. Search the net to see if anyone has developed one.
morbidi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one similar problem, but I configured it using a 2.6 kernel series, and it not shown, I thought that was akward because I read de Documentation in the kernel and that said that my joystick (Thrustmaster millennium 3d inceptor) was suported, however when I compile all the right modules it still dont shows any /dev/js0 or 1 or /dev/input/js0, can anyone help?
mike4148
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, make sure any drivers built as modules have been loaded (via modprobe).

Second, look at the output of dmesg - each driver should print some brief messages indicating that it has loaded (and possibly recognized the joystick). If you see anything odd in dmesg, post the odd parts.
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmichaelsen wrote:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332

Awww damn I got a sidewinder 3D pro and I'm busting my ass trying to get it to work.
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, connected to the gameport of a Creative Soundblaster Live! and it's working just fine.

I compiled everything in the kernel (no modules), see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-168089-highlight-sidewinder+6000.html.
I had to make a little change in sidewinder.c (I changed SW_TIMEOUT to 6000), see the message from dtor in the same thread.
Then I emerged "libjsw", then you can use "jscal" to calibrate the joystick.
Finally, I needed to reboot after using "jscal" (it seems to mess up the joystick driver or something), and then i could use it in games.

I tested it both with gl117 and with xmame. Though, when I used it through gxmame, it only works when i chose standard joystick instead of SDL joystick.

I guess you should get it to work after having your gameport working.

Btw, this is on gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6.

Edit: Note that the calibration program is called "jscalibrator", and not "jscal".

Last edited by ruben on Thu May 18, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you use an SB Live! it seems the kernel doesn't compile gameport support with the ens1371.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruben wrote:
Then I emerged "libjsw", then you can use "jscal" to calibrate the joystick.
Finally, I needed to reboot after using "jscal" (it seems to mess up the joystick driver or something), and then i could use it in games

please post accurately , this just adds confusion to gentoo-joystick documentation nightmare .

jscalibrator screws up the joystick not jscal.

jscalibrator is in libjsw not jscal.

jscal is in games-util/joystick-20050720

8)
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I never emerged "games-util/joystick", only "libjsw" and that includes "jscalibrator".
Must have misremembered for some reason.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre not alone, I've seen lots of posts with that confusion which was why I posted to clear things up.

if you compile at least the sound card driver as a module you can just rmmod/modprobe it back in instead of rebooting after using jscalibrator.

I cant even emerge libjsw on my funky new kernel so that's not going to be a problem here. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: