Backing up DVD: Problem with audio sync [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Backing up DVD: Problem with audio sync [solved] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've a few dvd's I wanted to backup, and am looking around for the best way to do this. I've found many helpfull threads so far, but each had it's own problems. I describe a few below. Any help will be MOST welcome!

First method and problem
I tried to use streamdvd and dvdauthor as follows:
Code:

streamdvd -i /dev/dvd -t 1 -s 0xe0,0x80 -f 1.3 > movie.vob
dvdauthor -t -o /movies/movie1 -f movie.vob

(Actually I muxed in subtitles using submux-dvd before running dvdauthor). The problem I had was that my audio was messed up. When I played it on my standalone DVD player, all the sound only came from the center chanel. The movie was still watchable though. But a nice 5.1 surround sound would be prefferable.

Second method and problem
I tried using transcode and friends.
Code:

mkfifo aud.fifo vid.fifo
tcextract -i vid.fifo -t vob -x mpeg2 -a 0xe0 | tcrequant -f 1.3 -o video.m2v &
tcextract -i aud.fifo -t vob -x ac3 -a 0 > audio.ac3 &
tccat -i /dev/dvd -T 1,-1 | tee aud.fifo vid.fifo > /tmp/title1.vob
tcmplex -i video.m2v -p audio.ac3 -m d -o movie.vob

(Again, I mplexed in subtitles in here). However this time I found that the audio sync was way off (more than 30 seconds). I have no idea why / how. Any ideas?

This transcode methode is kind of nice (especially since I can extract audio / video, subtitles) all at one go without copying the DVD to my hard disk or reading the same track of the DVD three times over. However I can't figure the audio sync out ... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

GI

Last edited by gi1242 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CybeRDukE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend lxdvdrip

that's what i use and it's great! damn fast and very simple when once set up. maybe you could just try this first. but i don't know how well subtitles work. there were some problems when i tried last time, but don't know if it's been already fixed.

good luck
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired lxdvdrip, but couldn't get the subtitles to work. Maybe it was because I used the streamdvd method instead of transcode parallel. Will try again ...
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CybeRDukE wrote:
i recommend lxdvdrip

I retried it. The subtitles worked if I used transcode parallel (instead of stream dvd) as my ripping method. :)

gi1242 wrote:
First method and problem
I tried to use streamdvd and dvdauthor as follows:
Code:
streamdvd -i /dev/dvd -t 1 -s 0xe0,0x80 -f 1.3 > movie.vob
dvdauthor -t -o /movies/movie1 -f movie.vob

(Actually I muxed in subtitles using submux-dvd before running dvdauthor). The problem I had was that my audio was messed up. When I played it on my standalone DVD player, all the sound only came from the center chanel.

Well, I don't know what the error was, but know a workaround. Instead of running dvdauthor from commandline, I made an xml file (as described in the dvdauthor man page). This let me put in chapers wherever I wanted too. Worked fine after this, but I decied that it was too 'unautomated' for my taste, and decide to use a different method to backup my dvd's.

gi1242 wrote:
Second method and problem
I tried using transcode and friends.
Code:
mkfifo aud.fifo vid.fifo
tcextract -i vid.fifo -t vob -x mpeg2 -a 0xe0 | tcrequant -f 1.3 -o video.m2v &
tcextract -i aud.fifo -t vob -x ac3 -a 0 > audio.ac3 &
tccat -i /dev/dvd -T 1,-1 | tee aud.fifo vid.fifo > /tmp/title1.vob
tcmplex -i video.m2v -p audio.ac3 -m d -o movie.vob

(Again, I mplexed in subtitles in here). However this time I found that the audio sync was way off (more than 30 seconds). I have no idea why / how. Any ideas?

Again, I don't know why the above does not work. However I think I *might* know a workaround. When running lxdvdrip with the "transcode parallel" method, I saw it executing almost the same commands as above, with a few differences:

1. The fifo's were buffered (using the 'buffer' program). I don't know if this makes much / any difference.
  2. It used mplex instead of tcmplex to mplex the stream!

If anyone knows what these small differences do to make it work, please enlighten me. If not, I'm content anyway cause I now have a satisfactory method of backing up my precious DVD's :)

GI
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to do the same thing...
However, I was trying to shrink most of the dvd's, so that they would fit on a regular DVD-R (4.7 GB)

During my research I stumbled on a LOT of ppl that used dvdshrink through wine to backup their dvd's, but for some weird reason that wouldn't work for me...

However, I DID find a solution that was definitely good enough for me...

http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/OSAlternatifs/sujet-36304-1.htm

few disadvantages about this:
1. the page and the script are entirely in french (which wasn't really a problem for me)
2. you can not keep the menu structure.
3. you have to patch DVDAuthor with a customized patch

advantages:
1. you get to choose how many and which audio-stream you want to keep
2. you get to choose how many and which subtitle-strem you wish to keep
3. size is definitely under 4.7GB, and the shrinking happens automagically

the result is great! as a test I backed up a collector's edition of Gladiator with 5 different audio-languages, and 4 subtitles. the resulting dvd was 4.4GB, and quality was still good imho...

if need be, I'm willing to translate the entire thing to english, but I'm gonna ask the original author first.
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyne wrote:
I have been trying to do the same thing...
However, I was trying to shrink most of the dvd's, so that they would fit on a regular DVD-R (4.7 GB)

I guess I neglected to mention, both the above methods shrink the dvd (the -f 1.3 switch to streamdvd, or the tcrequant command do it).
Zyne wrote:
However, I DID find a solution that was definitely good enough for me...

http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/OSAlternatifs/sujet-36304-1.htm

I checked your link out. Unfortunately I don't know french (argh). But lxdvdrip seems to do the same, with similar advantages / disadvantages.

1. Some of the documentation is in German (I don't know German, but still managed to use it.)
  2. I don't think you can keep the menu structure / extras. The chapters are preserved though
  3. You can choose the title, which audoi stream / subtitle / etc, and reshrink if required (manually / automagically).

GI
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another program that does about the same, but has a graphical UI, and is not in french :)

http://www.gff-clan.net/cgi-bin/hdr.pl?page=ldvd9to5&lang=en&lang=en

only downside atm: it's mostly german and a very poor translation to english imho (although I haven't tested it yet)

I also heard good things about vamps (DVDshrink for linux). I believe I found the link in the documentation forum, and I'm pretty sure the program itself is in portage, although it's ~x86
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh. This is so frustrating. All the good programs are primarily French / german. I don't know either. Grr. I spent HOURS trying to read the source of lxdvdrip, but didn't get anywhere cause all the comments are in German.

Zyne wrote:
I also heard good things about vamps (DVDshrink for linux). I believe I found the link in the documentation forum, and I'm pretty sure the program itself is in portage, although it's ~x86

Yep. I tried it. But for some reason it doesn't run on my system. The german source / docs didn't help much either, and I decided to go back to transcode.

If I ever get anywhere, I'll post it. And if you find anything (even french / german / zulu), I'd love to know. Sometimes it might still be usable :)

Thanks,

GI
CybeRDukE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm german but reading the lxdvdrip.c is frustrating! imho the program is an good example of bad software engeneering. purely impreative programming with a function containing hundreds of lines of code and all that for doing things that scripting languages were made for. that feels so wrong. so i guess your problems are not caused by the german language but by the source code itself ;-)

nonetheless, the programm is cool and it works and as long as i don't have to extend it, it's ok i guess.

about the vamps program, i think you can't say it the linux version of dvd shrink as it just doies the requantization and not the fancy stuff dvd shrink does like previewing, stripping titles etc. but i never used it, just read about it and i reeaaally hope i'm wrong, as i'm using dvd-shrink with wine right now. btw, works quite well, except previewing.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try http://trans.voila.fr/ or some of the other links on http://bablefish.org to translate the doc or the french thread you noted.

I just had a look passing the url of your thread and its a bit pidgeon-english on small fragments of text like the posts but it is probably enough for you to make sence of it.

HTH 8)
gi1242
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *finally* figured out the original problem with audio sync. It looks like the sync offsets are lost when the stream is remplexed. A wise person suggested that the offsets can be obtained by using mpeg2desc (comes with dvdauthor):
Code:
$ mpeg2desc < stream.vob | grep pts | head

The audio offset is the difference between the first video pts, and audio pts. Pass this to mplex with -O and it works :)

As for lxdvdrip, I've decided I hate it. Newer version (1.4) seem to have the transcode parallel method broken. Further, it sometimes screws up and backs up only half my title. Hacking the source with german comments and variables is not an option for me. A little sh script of the above will probably be better.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: