Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] System won't boot -- tmpfs, ramfs, needed!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siege_72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: [solved] System won't boot -- tmpfs, ramfs, needed! Reply with quote

I haven't made any changes to my system recently. When I booted it yesterday , I got the following message during/after udev running:
Code:

mounting devpts at /dev/pts

Gentoo linux requires tmpfs, ramfs, or 2 ramdisks + ext2 compiled into the kernel

The system gives me the option to hit Ctrl-D to continue (which reboots the system) or enter my root password to go into maintenance mode. I've tried booting in Single User mode, and the problem still pops up.

In maintenance mode, I can't find anything that would be helpful. /proc/filesystems shows that tmpfs and ramfs are usable. Both were compiled into the kernel -- not as modules. Ext2 is compiled in as well. tmpfs is being assigned... here's how it's set in my fstab:

Code:
none                   /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

I've checked everything in the runlevels, and can't find anything that's a tip off. Nothing in udev seems "off". I can't start any services, because the system isn't even at the "boot" runlevel. I recompiled the kernel to build ramdisks in, and that didn't help either. Booting from an earlier kernel produced the same issue, so I don't think that's the problem (I'm running Gentoo sources 2.6.17-r8 )

Any help or suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated!!

Update: I've tried some other things as well:
* Rolling back to earlier versions of udev. 09 and 094. No luck
* Running memtest86. No bad RAM detected
* Re-running mkswap on my swap partition

SOLUTION I had upgraded to bash 3.2. Downgrading to 3.1 via "emerge =app-shells/bash-3.1_p17" fixed it!

Last edited by Siege_72 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way out on a limb here, but: download Memtest86+ and test your RAM. Maybe you have a dead/dying chip that prevents ramfs/tmpfs from initializing properly...? I admit this is highly unlikely but it's easy to check and I got nothin' else. <shrugs>
Siege_72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Way out on a limb here, but: download Memtest86+ and test your RAM. Maybe you have a dead/dying chip that prevents ramfs/tmpfs from initializing properly...? I admit this is highly unlikely but it's easy to check and I got nothin' else. <shrugs>

I let Memtest run for over 3 hours, and it didn't find anything. :(
PboY
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here. haven't made changes yesterday.. and today the system doesn't boot giving the same error message.
Siege_72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PboY wrote:
same problem here. haven't made changes yesterday.. and today the system doesn't boot giving the same error message.

That's a really odd coincidence... Makes me think it's something more than just my system being unstable. I just ran chkrootkit from the knoppix 5 DVD on my root directory, and but it didn't find anything.
Siege_72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

PboY made the suggestion of downgrading bash to 3.1_p17. That did the trick for me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: