Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.9-rc1-nitro4 "It works better if you plug it in&
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Meqif
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 103
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
seppe@Helios ~/Imaget $ cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a37 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9-rc1-nitro4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.


It works for me, as a matter of fact .. I'm burning a cd right now :)


Updating cdrecord to 2.01 (final) didn't help :(

Code:
meqif@envy ~ $ cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9-rc1-nitro4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nuzzy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Posts: 106
Location: NH, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone been able to figure out the Intel card problem with this release?!?!?! My pc hangs on boot when trying to get an IP address for eth0.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
miseiler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuzzy wrote:
has anyone been able to figure out the Intel card problem with this release?!?!?! My pc hangs on boot when trying to get an IP address for eth0.


Try assigning it manually within your address range. I have the e1000 NIC as well, and have had no problems with this.
_________________
Cthulhu for president.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theonlymcc
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 274
Location: NC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having problems with my eth0 but I have a Broadcom 4401. Anyone else having problems with this card getting assigned an IP?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deepu Sudhakar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theonlymcc wrote:
I too am having problems with my eth0 but I have a Broadcom 4401. Anyone else having problems with this card getting assigned an IP?

Yeah..I am too. I just restart the net.eth0 rc script to get the IP again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rafelbev
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: ACPI not working on a laptop Reply with quote

I previously had 2.6.8-nitro6 installed with ACPI working. Now I can't change from battery to AC or AC to battery without the machine hanging.

Guess someting got broken in between!!

Will have to revert to another kernel coz its quite unusable for me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kleb
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Nov 2002
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, nitro-sources scheduling is much better than love1&2 that I have been using. Firefox's smooth-scrolling is actually smooth in nitro(it wasn't in love, was in mm, though)

Have a problem though. For some reason, games dont use nvidia-glx even though I've run opengl-update nvidia. GLXGears FPS is ~4fps :!: If I switch it to xorg-x11 glx, it'll be faster, though not as fast as it was in love1(well over 30). I originally had a problem with the nvidia module not loading because of a specialized 6111 ebuild for use with the love sources.

I got rid of it, and did an emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx. That caused some error messages in scorched3d. Then I did a emerge unmerge , and then re-emerged them. That got rid of the error messages, but now I have the really slow or no worky(freezes scorched3d at "Loading windows") problem above.

What do I need to do to completely reset opengl, nvidia ebuild, etc?

-Kleb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Posts: 480
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say thanks. I have been trying to get 2.6.9_rc1 working with reiser4 and gensplash for days now.
_________________
Esteem : Essays, Fiction, and News Commentary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jewps
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meqif wrote:
seppe wrote:
seppe@Helios ~/Imaget $ cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a37 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9-rc1-nitro4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.


It works for me, as a matter of fact .. I'm burning a cd right now :)


Updating cdrecord to 2.01 (final) didn't help :(

Code:
meqif@envy ~ $ cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9-rc1-nitro4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.


That's quite weird because i use a older version ofd cdrecord and i don't get those kinds of errors but i'm using nitro3 still.. hrm time to do some investigation.

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a28 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J顤g Schilling
Linux McMug 2.6.9-rc1-nitro3 #1 Thu Sep 9 22:42:04 PDT 2004 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TierMann
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kleb.

I had problems with nvidia-glx 6111 since kernel 2.6.8. It was running around 250fps when I normally would get ~3500fps. I went back to nvidia-glx 6106-r3 but kept the 6111 driver. Seems to work fine now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meqif
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 103
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewps wrote:
That's quite weird because i use a older version ofd cdrecord and i don't get those kinds of errors but i'm using nitro3 still.. hrm time to do some investigation.

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a28 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J顤g Schilling
Linux McMug 2.6.9-rc1-nitro3 #1 Thu Sep 9 22:42:04 PDT 2004 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux


I had no problems with earlier nitros patched with the cddvd-cmdfilter-drop.patch (although this nitro has also this patch). I have no idea why's this happening only with this nitro... Maybe it's because of some change in 2.6.9_rc1, I suppose...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5227
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
-bash-2.05b#uname -a
Linux linbox 2.6.9-rc1-nitro4 #5 Fri Sep 17 10:59:40 CEST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

-bash-2.05b#cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a28 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

-bash-2.05b#a burn
alias burn='cdrecord -v speed=8 -overburn driveropts=burnfree dev=1,0,0 '



Just burnt 3 CDs today using my "burn" alias above . No probs.
All done as root , have not tried user account or K3B.

HTH 8)
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
silentbob
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 159
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 2.6.9-rc1-nitro4 here, it all runs perfectly except CD recording. I am unable to burn a CD using K3B as a normal user, but I can use cdrecord when I su root to burn CDs. The strange thing is I can burn DVDs using K3B as my regular user.
_________________
My Gentoo Linux Stuff | Get FireFox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5227
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kleb wrote:
Mmm, nitro-sources scheduling is much better than love1&2 that I have been using. Firefox's smooth-scrolling is actually smooth in nitro(it wasn't in love, was in mm, though)

Have a problem though. For some reason, games dont use nvidia-glx even though I've run opengl-update nvidia. GLXGears FPS is ~4fps :!: If I switch it to xorg-x11 glx, it'll be faster, though not as fast as it was in love1(well over 30). I originally had a problem with the nvidia module not loading because of a specialized 6111 ebuild for use with the love sources.

I got rid of it, and did an emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx. That caused some error messages in scorched3d. Then I did a emerge unmerge , and then re-emerged them. That got rid of the error messages, but now I have the really slow or no worky(freezes scorched3d at "Loading windows") problem above.

What do I need to do to completely reset opengl, nvidia ebuild, etc?

-Kleb


I'm using 0.6111 on nitro4 and just got 3855 fps . I think you should look elsewhere for the pb.
HTH 8)
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mandos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentbob wrote:
Using 2.6.9-rc1-nitro4 here, it all runs perfectly except CD recording. I am unable to burn a CD using K3B as a normal user, but I can use cdrecord when I su root to burn CDs. The strange thing is I can burn DVDs using K3B as my regular user.

root only burns are a problem introduced in 2.6.8

http://www.fedorazine.com/content/view/270/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rush_ad
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 863
Location: New Jersey, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if having burning problems, use 2.6.7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Illissius
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 395
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request: An option in menuconfig to enable or disable all the post-2.6.7 patches that made CD burning go to hell, so us simple users can continue burning CDs until the whole mess is sorted out. Is this possible?
_________________
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.
last.fm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5227
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in the patches!

It was a top level decision by kernel devs.

Although I find the logic completely arse about face (I dont see the security issue in a user being able to burn files I give him access to. I do see security risks in having to give some root privileges to users just to let them burn CDs.)

Not for us mere mortals to question thier decisions . :evil:
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Illissius
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 395
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
It's not in the patches!

It was a top level decision by kernel devs.

I know (as in, it's in the kernel devs' patches, not seppe's). Wouldn't it be possible, though, to just toggle between using the 2.6.7 versions and the newer versions of all the CD burning related files?
_________________
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.
last.fm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrGreen
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Nov 2003
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

just tried nitro4 build failed at driver/net/e1000/e1000_main.c ???/

pacthed 2.6.8 > 2.6.9-rc1 > 2.6.9-rc1-nitro4


is this correct ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luqas
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Posts: 588
Location: /US/Texas/Beaumont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be 2.6.8 > 2.6.9-rc1-nitro4. When you did it the other way did you notice failed hunks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrGreen
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Nov 2003
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err like yeah :oops: ... I'll get it right one day :lol:

Thanks ......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrGreen
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Nov 2003
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well build fails at

Code:
 CC      kernel/sched.o
kernel/sched.c: In function `schedule':
kernel/sched.c:2031: error: structure has no member named `expired_timestamp'
kernel/sched.c:2037: error: `array' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:2037: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/sched.c:2037: error: for each function it appears in.)
kernel/sched.c:2037: error: structure has no member named `active'
kernel/sched.c:2042: error: structure has no member named `active'
kernel/sched.c:2042: error: structure has no member named `expired'
kernel/sched.c:2043: error: structure has no member named `expired'
kernel/sched.c:2044: error: structure has no member named `active'
kernel/sched.c:2045: error: structure has no member named `expired_timestamp'
kernel/sched.c:2046: error: structure has no member named `best_expired_prio'
kernel/sched.c:2053: error: too many arguments to function `dependent_sleeper'
kernel/sched.c:2058: error: structure has no member named `activated'
kernel/sched.c:2061: error: structure has no member named `activated'
kernel/sched.c:2062: error: `ON_RUNQUEUE_WEIGHT' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:2064: error: structure has no member named `array'
kernel/sched.c:2069: error: structure has no member named `activated'
kernel/sched.c:2075: error: structure has no member named `sleep_avg'
kernel/sched.c:2075: error: `run_time' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:2076: error: structure has no member named `sleep_avg'
kernel/sched.c:2077: error: structure has no member named `sleep_avg'
kernel/sched.c:2078: warning: implicit declaration of function `HIGH_CREDIT'
kernel/sched.c:2078: warning: implicit declaration of function `LOW_CREDIT'
kernel/sched.c:2079: error: structure has no member named `interactive_credit'
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...


Maybe its my config thats out ??????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Posts: 179
Location: Chandler, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stepped up to the latest nitro (rc2-nitro-r1) and I am having problems with the nvidia 6111-r1 driver (from portage). I backed-off to the 6111 and all is fine. I read earlier in this thread that there was a *custom* 6111 that someone had labelled "r1", that would not work with this nitro release. Question is, "is the r1 version of 6111 that portage delivers this *custom* version that I should no longer use"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
renumerator42
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! works well. Only problem is wireless ndiswrapper doesn't work. when emerging ndiswrapper it says

"need to get unknown symbol kernel_locked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum