Can't boot iso image on Ultra 5.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Can't boot iso image on Ultra 5. Reply with quote

Hi all, new to the forum, so would appreciate your help.

I have downloaded Gentoo and burned it to CD using K3B on an AMD linux box. I have an Ultra 5 and would love to try Gentoo on it. Unfortunately when I type "boot cdrom", the machine power-cycles and then say's it cannot boot from the CD (can't remember the exact message). I did the same with Debian, and it went straight on. I suspected that I had a bad CD/ image, so I repeated the download process. Still no joy.

Having done some Googling, it looks like the CD may have to have a special Sun Label (?) or something. Another site said that it was the sector size of the CD (this is different on Sun hardware, and doesn't conform to ISO standards?).

I saw a previous post which suggested lots of reboots (I've done this), it also gave a link to another download version (the target server is empty).

I've installed Gentoo on an Intel box and love it. Could somebody please help me succeed on the Sparc box, as I really like the hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris.
labrador
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: make sure it is a cd-r not rw Reply with quote

I found that my CDROM would not boot from any
live CD I put on the CD-RW. Switching to CD-R media
worked fine.
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This could be a valid point. I am using a CD R/W. I'll grab a CDR and see whether that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Chris.
Tyler_Durden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found that my CDROM would not boot from any
live CD I put on the CD-RW. Switching to CD-R media
worked fine.

And when this point not solve your problem, you can look at the "SILO Fast Data Access MMU Miss" topic.

Bye,
Peter.
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Where would I find that document?

Cheers,

Chris.
Tyler_Durden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_andrew wrote:
Peter,

Where would I find that document?

Cheers,

Chris.

uhm, right here, in the "Gentoo on Sparc" forum, where you wrote your question, actually on the top half of the first side, approx. 8cm down from your topic... :)

Bye,
Peter.
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: CD Boot problem. Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I looked at the other post. 8cm...depends on your resolution!

I will stick with Debian for now, as I know the problem isn't the hardware. I work shifts as a GNU/ Linux Sys Admin and also have a partner. Unfortunately I just do not have time to mess around like this. Debian is stable, and works just fine. Why should I waste time trying to get this to work?

I know this is contreversial, but it's not as if I'm advocating Fedora (which reallly limits configuration), it's just that I want Free software, that takes less than a few days to install, and that is stable. Is that too much to ask? You could say that the performance is enhanced, which I would agree with. But, it would be cheaper to buy a new box/ server, than to spend the man hours trying to get it to work. I have to say that the iX86 2004.2 version worked without any problems.

Thanks again for your time, guys.

Chris.
tizzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve got the same problem. The solution was to finalize the cdrom, not just the session.

T.
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tizzy,

Now that sounds like a good solution. Will let you know.

Cheers,

Chris.
airyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: CD Boot problem. Reply with quote

When I burned the ISO (using cdrecord) I enabled the "-raw" option, and it worked right the first time. I really don't know if that has anything to do with it working, but just thought I would let you know. I'd also suggest checking the MD5 sum to make sure the ISO isn't corrupted.

chris_andrew wrote:
it's just that I want Free software, that takes less than a few days to install, and that is stable. Is that too much to ask?

woah, chill out...did someone force you to install gentoo?
go with a stage 3 install w/ the GRP cd...you will be up and running in less than a day. I doubt the performance increase from a stage 1 or 2 install would even be noticable on an ultra 5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: