installed with 1.2 bootcd, unable to emerge anything ->
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplecoww
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: installed with 1.2 bootcd, unable to emerge anything -> Reply with quote

That's what happened , I had this 1.2 bootcd lying around and i thougt HEY now i will install gentoo and be very happy!
BUt nooo note that i have done this before from this very same cd and it has worked beautifully, but then i wanted to try suse 8.1 so it had to go.
NOw, for my convenience i have printed the installation instructions, a as before, i followed tthem to the letter.
I should tell you taht i decided to save some time and went with the stage three (3) install so i wouldn't be installing when i should be sleeping.
Now everything went just dandy and like peaches and well until came the time for me to do my first emerge , the something that logged something the systemlogger thingie, that's what it said on the instructions, i did :
Code:
 emerge app-admin/metalog
and what the hgelll1!11 11!!!
it gives me a verdammt error message! now i did not take a photograph or write it down or otherwise memorize what it said, but the important thing is that it did not work!
whatever i tried to emerge edit: emerge rsync was the only thing that did not produce a error, but it didn't help either it gave me the same message, i recon it had something to do with .. it seemed like portage did not understand the code as if it was cobolt when it was expecting lisp, if you get the idea.
Thew only thing i did different from the instructions was that i did the optional part of doing an emerge rsync, because i knew it was out of date.

NOw i wish you would tell me was this my fault, so i could try installing again. Because instaling Gentoo is not something you jsut do in your lunchbreak, it takes a lot of time and time, my friends, is not something that we have bla bla bla.[/b]
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: installed with 1.2 bootcd, unable to emerge anything -& Reply with quote

purplecoww wrote:
it gives me a verdammt error message! now i did not take a photograph or write it down or otherwise memorize what it said, but the important thing is that it did not work!

Actually, to someone trying to help diagnose your problem, the important thing is what the error message says. Let me suggest something anyway. Try updating Portage manually using one of the tarballs in /usr/src/sys-apps/portage/files after you have done an "emerge sync".
purplecoww
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: i did it again, here´s the errormessage Reply with quote

I finally got enough time to try this again, and not surpsisingly I eneded up
with the same result. Again, i followed the guide, went with stage3 and when i tried to do
Code:
emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
it gives me this: (before this i did "emerge rsync")
Code:
Calculating dependencies     !!!Name error in : category or package part missing. Traceback (most recent call last)
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1220, in ?
mykey=portage.db[portage.root]["porttree"].dep_bestmatch(mypkg)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 2174, in dep_bestmatch
if not self.hasnode(mypkgdep):

<similiar repeats a few times,in different linenumbers>
Code:

TypeError:unsubscriptable object

I stopped to post this incase it helps someone.
I´m going to try what rac suggested now, updating portage manually.
purplecoww
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: got it! Reply with quote

All right,it´s working now.
Did emerge rsync and emerge sync but that didn´t magically
fix anything.
Then I explored deep into /usr/gentoo and found a portage-rescue thingie
which got my portage up to version 2.0.44.
Everything seems to be beautiful now, so i´ll leave this topic alone .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: