my system just keeps rebooting itself.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: my system just keeps rebooting itself. Reply with quote

What is going on? I just finish going through the install instructions for the umteenth time and after I reboot I select Gentoo from the menu and the system just keeps rebooting itself. I am lost here. I have a pentium 200Mhz cpu with 48MB of ram and I used the i586 stage3 tarball to save time. I'm also using gentoo sources. Are gentoo sources even working?
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I couldn't wait for anyone to respond so I started digging a little deeper and I found a thread that addresses my problem.

Do a search on: GRUB Can't install bzImage system reboots.

In that thread rac revealed a very interesting part of menuconfig that is very misleading IMHO. When you select the Processor type & features section the very first selection at the top of the list is: (Pentium-Pro/Celeron/Pentium-II) Processor family. This does not match my processor so you have to hit enter here to reveal the secret processor selection room. You'll be presented with 24 different options for type of processor. Select the one you have and your in buisness. :lol:

That menu is very confusing the way it is presented. It looks more like a heading than a selectable option to me so I skipped right over it many times. I suspect a few others are doing the same thing. They should update this in the kernel to look more like a menu option with an arrow pointing to the right (ya know what I mean).

Anyway my wife is nagging me to cut the lawn so I'll have to stop for now.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you were able to solve your problem. You're right - lots of people do make that mistake. So many, in fact, that this question is addressed as https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#15.
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're right - lots of people do make that mistake. So many, in fact, that this question is addressed as https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#15.

Yea it does point you in the right area but if your blind dumb and happy like me you'll still skip right over those options because it looks like a heading than more than something your supposed to select.

All I know is it's yet another learning expierience along the way to my final prize of a gentoo linux box. All I really wanted was a trimmed down kernel that has only fluxbox and a few needed utilities to use at work since I am limitted on ram (48MB). I'm tempted just to go out and buy some more ram since it's so cheap.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: