WineX & Everquest...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhodes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: WineX & Everquest... Reply with quote

Hey everyone....

I'm sure the answer is out there to my question, but I can't find it :(

I'm trying to get eq working, and I think I'm pretty close... I managed to get the RoK installed, but it uses the old EQ patch program. It won't download the new patch program and run the game. So, now I am trying to install SoL but it uses installshield!

This is the error I am getting....
"Please make sure a copy of stdole32.tlb is installed.
Please make sure a copy of stdole32.tlb is installed.
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger..."

Also, I was wondering, do I have to install DirectX within WineX?
when I installed EQ RoK it asked to install dx7, I declined....

Thanks for any help...
Mike
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here is how I got EQ to install from RoK to Velious to SoL. First thing I did was emerge winex-cvs ebuild. Next I downloaded the winex game installer from Frank's Corner. I installed RoK using the winex game installer. That worked very well. Then I went onto Velious but had problems with the installer program so I copied the contents of the cd into a temp directory and ran winex /path/to/install/setup.exe. It moaned about not having RoK but installed anyway. Then I copied the contents from RoK to Velious and vice versa so that I had 2 exact copies. Then I installed SoL the same way. Mounted each cd and copied the contents into a temp folder and installed it just like velious. Then I moved everything back over to the directory where the game installer put RoK. Then I ran EverQuest from there and it installed everything fine.

Oh one more thing. I think I remember patching up the latest with RoK and then backed it up and installed the rest. After installing SoL things broke and I couldn't patch. I moved over the files that it updated and was able to patch again.

Hope this helps.
mrhodes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Transgaming WineX Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the help.. :)

I decided to take the plunge and support transgaming by giving them $15 US for their WineX... Still not sure if it was worth it, but time will tell....

I did manage to get EQ working, I installed it in Windows, and jusr ran it from there...
it actually worked great, 100% playable for sure... only problem was that I couldn't read anything... the fonts were really messed up... Anyone know how this can be fixed? Or is that still a problem with the Winex code??

Thanks again for your help

Mike
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on taking the plunge. I don't call it a plunge though. I look at it as giving money for a good cause. It is very worth it. Also FYI the money is basically for the non cvs version. cvs is free for all but they don't add the cdrom protection emulator to it. With the binaries it has that built in so you can play games that have securom or something else to protect the cd from being copied. As for the text being not readable check out the winex forums. There is something in there about that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: