View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

TreeHugger wrote:
Earlier this month, General Motors hinted at a partnership with a major tech company to fully overhaul their telematics system OnStar. While OnStar CEO Chris Preuss was tight-lipped about who that partner was, Motor Trend has just reported it's Google. If the rumor's true, GM will make the Chevy Volt the first Android-based vehicle to hit the road.

GM first made wind of its plans for a Volt and smart-phone pair-up when it unveiled the Chevy Volt OnStar app for Android, iPhone and Blackberry devices in January. Not only can you start the car from the app, it tells you if the Volt is plugged in or not and whether it's charging at 120V or 240V. Charging can also be scheduled via the app to benefit from off-peak rates.

cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is a start for android to be in everything?
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Google does not help them with this. It would harm Google's reputation if they worked with General Motors unless General Motors does something to improve its quality, and by improving its quality, I mean that it needs to become better than its competitors, otherwise no one will notice and they will keep their old reputation for making junk, which could affect Google's reputation as well.
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Not only can you start the car from the app, it tells you if the Volt is plugged in or not and whether it's charging at 120V or 240V.

Um, why? This is exactly the sort of useless gee-whiz net-enabled nonsense that ultimately leads to problems. Is there ever a reason to start the car without you being in it? And if you're in it, are perfectly able to press a button on the dash? How long before someone's kid decides to play with a smartphone that was left on the counter, and the next thing you know the car comes crashing through the garage wall and into the kitchen?

And what's wrong with plain old wi-fi? If the car's in the garage, why can't it connect to one's normal in-home wi-fi network and allow access through whatever computers might be on that network. Heck it can run a stripped-down webserver like any of the routers do and be instantly browseable from any computer in the house. And at full wi-fi bandwidth, not the gimpy phone rates. Which, btw, would help remove a source of bandwidth-cap-pushing usage from the phone onto a network that's already there, that's yours, and that's essentially free.

But I suppose they can't extract those lucrative monthly charges doing it that way, which is why the sane thing seems to never get done. :?
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
Not only can you start the car from the app, it tells you if the Volt is plugged in or not and whether it's charging at 120V or 240V.

Um, why? This is exactly the sort of useless gee-whiz net-enabled nonsense that ultimately leads to problems. Is there ever a reason to start the car without you being in it? And if you're in it, are perfectly able to press a button on the dash? How long before someone's kid decides to play with a smartphone that was left on the counter, and the next thing you know the car comes crashing through the garage wall and into the kitchen?

And what's wrong with plain old wi-fi? If the car's in the garage, why can't it connect to one's normal in-home wi-fi network and allow access through whatever computers might be on that network. Heck it can run a stripped-down webserver like any of the routers do and be instantly browseable from any computer in the house. And at full wi-fi bandwidth, not the gimpy phone rates. Which, btw, would help remove a source of bandwidth-cap-pushing usage from the phone onto a network that's already there, that's yours, and that's essentially free.

But I suppose they can't extract those lucrative monthly charges doing it that way, which is why the sane thing seems to never get done. :?

I can think of a few reasons to start the car without being in it. Whether they're valid is personal preference. For example some people feel the need to let their car warm up when it's cold (engine, not just the interior). If there is frost it would be nice to be able to start it up perhaps and let the window defroster run.

Also the car ramming through the wall is unlikely. I can't imagine the car would be allowed to start while in gear. I haven't driven a newer stick shift in a while, but letting the starter turn while the clutch is not depressed seems silly. I know that my parents' old Subaru would allow the starter to engage and I did it once and the car lurched forward. I learned my lesson.

I do agree that this just adds some over-engineering that isn't really necessary and will likely cause more expense when it's time for repair.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
Is there ever a reason to start the car without you being in it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Remote+Engine+Starter

Last edited by Shining Arcanine on Tue May 18, 2010 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Goldeneye
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame they are screwing android by putting a GM product around it.

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
It's a shame they are screwing android by putting a GM product around it.

++

Also, ++
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:

w1n73rmu7e let me guess, you live in a warm climate. I live in New England and I would love a remote starter in the Winter so that the car is already warm when I get to it.
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
w1n73rmu7e let me guess, you live in a warm climate. I live in New England and I would love a remote starter in the Winter so that the car is already warm when I get to it.
When it gets to around the teens Fahrenheit here, I usually just bundle up and put on appropriate gloves instead of heating the car up. It works a whole lot better.

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Volt To Run Android Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:

Shining Arcanine misquoted. That was akkara, not me. It's still cold as fuck here :(
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, why on earth do you have to "start" an electric car in the first place.....
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
wait, why on earth do you have to "start" an electric car in the first place.....
I think they meant "boot the car."

shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenji Miyamoto wrote:
shickapooka800 wrote:
I think they meant "boot the car."

oh lawd, i just got a mental image of getting ready to go to work in the morning, only to find "kernel panic VFS unable to mount root fs" on my car dashboard or some shit.

or even better, i'm in a hurry for work in the morning and suddenly: "/dev/hda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced" and that progress bar..... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand wanting your car warm, that's just asking for it to be stolen.
And don't tell me it doesn't happen, because I know it does.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
While I understand wanting your car warm, that's just asking for it to be stolen.
And don't tell me it doesn't happen, because I know it does.

Remote Starters are not new, the only thing new here is using a cell phone radio to do it instead of the RF automotive remotes used today. Cars with remote start systems won't actually let you drive off unless you insert the key.

I do however understand the question about "starting" a hybrid. It would still be useful to get the heater and defroster going before you get into the car. In the winter when I leave work I have to walk across a cold parking lot to my cold car, it would be a lot nicer if my car was already warm. Anyone know how the heater in the Volt will work? I assume it will be electric. Normal cars just have a secondary radiator that uses engine heat to heat the cabin.
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
I do however understand the question about "starting" a hybrid. It would still be useful to get the heater and defroster going before you get into the car. In the winter when I leave work I have to walk across a cold parking lot to my cold car, it would be a lot nicer if my car was already warm. Anyone know how the heater in the Volt will work? I assume it will be electric. Normal cars just have a secondary radiator that uses engine heat to heat the cabin.
My car (Prius) has to kick the engine on if I ask for more heat than is already present in the system.

speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I can think of is like other people said, to warm up the interior in cold weather. Which begs the question, how is the car heated? If it uses a traditional car heater, you would have to run the engine to warm up the coolant; in which case what's the point of it being a "hybrid" if it only does so in warm weather? If it uses an electric heating element, I wouldn't think you'd get near as much range as they are saying in cold weather (same with AC pump in hot weather Id imagine). I searched, but apparently GM hasn't answered the question.

for another thing
http://gm-volt.com/2009/03/27/gm-chevy-volt-price-depends-on-cost-of-gas-and-will-be-set-in-may-2010/
Quote:
The Volt is profoundly important to GM’s future viability. Speaking to how critical fuel cost is in the Volt equation, GM’s CEO Rick Wagoner recently went on record stating that a mandatory federal gas tax to keep gasoline at $4.00 per gallon minimum is “worthy of consideration.”

GM VP John Lauckner recently announced when we we finally know what the Chevy Volt’s MSRP will be. He said “we won’t set the price of the Volt until 6 months prior to start of production.”

Best estimates place it in the mid to upper 30s range before a $7500 tax credit.

I wish GM would hurry up and die.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speeddemon wrote:
shickapooka800 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I can think of is like other people said, to warm up the interior in cold weather. Which begs the question, how is the car heated? If it uses a traditional car heater, you would have to run the engine to warm up the coolant; in which case what's the point of it being a "hybrid" if it only does so in warm weather? If it uses an electric heating element, I wouldn't think you'd get near as much range as they are saying in cold weather (same with AC pump in hot weather Id imagine). I searched, but apparently GM hasn't answered the question.

for another thing
http://gm-volt.com/2009/03/27/gm-chevy-volt-price-depends-on-cost-of-gas-and-will-be-set-in-may-2010/
Quote:
The Volt is profoundly important to GM’s future viability. Speaking to how critical fuel cost is in the Volt equation, GM’s CEO Rick Wagoner recently went on record stating that a mandatory federal gas tax to keep gasoline at $4.00 per gallon minimum is “worthy of consideration.”

GM VP John Lauckner recently announced when we we finally know what the Chevy Volt’s MSRP will be. He said “we won’t set the price of the Volt until 6 months prior to start of production.”

Best estimates place it in the mid to upper 30s range before a $7500 tax credit.

I wish GM would hurry up and die.

This is the problem with having the Government own a car company. Isn't price fixing supposed to be illegal? It's not really fair for the Governement to set a high gas price just so GM can sell more cars. Did they solve the problem with the battery catching on fire yet?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche... I was aware of people warming their cars up by starting them up then walking away for a bit then wonder why they got stolen.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Touche... I was aware of people warming their cars up by starting them up then walking away for a bit then wonder why they got stolen.

I do that sometimes at home. But it's in my driveway, not too far from the house. Another good reason for a remote starter, lets the car run without being drivable.
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's nice about buses is that they're usually warm by the time they get to your stop. By "warm," I mean not as cold as outside.

Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenji Miyamoto wrote:
What's nice about buses is that they're usually warm by the time they get to your stop. By "warm," I mean not as cold as outside.

Subways and trains in Japan were like that as well. Heated in the Winter... which actually sucks because you'd be dressed for the cold weather and be sweating your balls off in the "mobile oven simulator" that is the train system in Winter. However, a short ride in a heated bus would be nice after one was standing in the cold.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
This is the problem with having the Government own a car company.

I thought I read GM paid back the loan.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: