Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How many people are using gentoo-sources?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jondkent, if you USE="xfs", xfs support is in as of 2.4.19-r10.
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that information :D

Jon
Mat_le_ouf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo-sources on my PII 350 and my Athlon 900, no problem at all...
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used gentoo-sources on various machines, never had any problems with them.

My Aspire 1400LC also works very well with them.
ultraslacker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 workstations (amd/intel) using gentoo-sources, no problems.
ClippyHater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I'm using gentoo-sources without any problems (that I know of, anyway :) ).

One other question: with gentoo-sources, what jiffies setting is everyone using? My kernel is set to 400, but I have no idea what the heck I'm doing :oops: I'll primarily be using my gentoo gnu/linux system within kde (might give gnome a try, but so far kde feels pretty familiar to the soon-to-be-ex windows user :D ). What should jiffies be set to for a linux/GUI user? Default? Higher? Also, I didn't muck with the real-time settings (default is 100 and 0, but I have no idea if I should dink with that...).
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the gentoo-sources on my gentoo-server and on my workstation without any problems. The laptop I'm using right now is running the xfs-sources as xfs was pretty much recommended as filesystem when I did my first install. Didn't have any problems with either one (kernel and filesystem) so far :D and therefore never switched to the gentoo-sources.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using development-sources on my new Dell GX260 here at work. It is the only version of the kernel that includes drivers for my network card, Intel E1000 Pro (1 Gigabit card).

I did use the gentoo-siources, but had to compile the network driver each time I updatedt the kernel. Since it was included in the development branch and it works stable for me, I'm now at 2.5.47.

btw, downloading with the Gigabit card is FAST. Esp internally, when I have to download like 3 tarballs of 700MB each, done in virtually minutes. Now the Internet is a whole different beast.... :twisted:

Erik
pdaoust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used gentoo-sources (1.4rc1) with my computer, without serious problems. I have an ECS K7S6A motherboard, which uses the SiS 740 chipset (north/south bridges in one chip). So far, I've only had problems with 3D speed on my Matrox Millennium G400 dual-head video card, and I'm not sure if it has something to do with the DRI support in the kernel or with XFree. So there ya go :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I'm currently using development-sources on my new Dell GX260 here at work. It is the only version of the kernel that includes drivers for my network card, Intel E1000 Pro (1 Gigabit card).

Drool.

This is about the best reason I've seen to not use the Gentoo sources. They are very stable. I've been using them on several systems and a server since early April and not had any problems that weren't stupid user tricks.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using gentoo -r9 on amd xp and on k6 machine and using -r7 on ibm t22 lappy, with no probs. Room mate using -r9 on same t22 with no probs either.

Only the linux ppc gods know what kernel I am running on my G4 ;) I forget

Although I have found vanilla to be easier to get make bzImage to work on first try.

-Andrew
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
btw, downloading with the Gigabit card is FAST. Esp internally, when I have to download like 3 tarballs of 700MB each, done in virtually minutes. Now the Internet is a whole different beast.... :twisted:

I want a gigabit ISP!
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

I want a gigabit ISP!

Does anyone actually have an INTERNET connection that fast? I mean, you can have a LAN that is gigabit, but an internet connection like that would be insane for bandwidth costs. Not to mention that you wouldn't likely get that speed much beyond your own connection....

I get download throughput of about 1300 KB/s (that bytes, not bits) from ibiblio because I'm on the same academic statewide network. My LAN is only 10baseT, but it is connected by an OC12.

And trust me, most sites get maxed out far before my LAN does.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
Does anyone actually have an INTERNET connection that fast?
I get download throughput of about 1300 KB/s (that bytes, not bits) from ibiblio because I'm on the same academic statewide network. My LAN is only 10baseT, but it is connected by an OC12.

I am sure if you had something big from worldcom or something, or you just decided to hop onto the abilene network... :drool: (abilene going with a 10gigabit backbone in near future, like next year)
I am stuck on lan with 10baseT here at school with dual OC3's that have the worst packetloss in the world.
For info on fast connections check out: http://www.worldcom.com/us/products/access/dedicated/
They provide just about everything up to full OC12 at 655Mbits / sec. ;) now that we are off topic?

ps, 1300KB/sec is not possible I thought with 10baseT because of packet overhead of having headders and whatnot, 1300 would be the theoretical max that 10baseT can go.... just a thought, cause I only can get around 800KB/sec at the max from servers on campus to me with very little packetloss cause they are on the lan
NOR^gasm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo on a large number of machines including a P100 industrial PC, P233MMXs, Dual Celeron with Abit mobo, AthelonXP 2000+ and ASUS A7V333 mobo, as well as my Dell Lattitude CPx laptop with USB, sound and power all working fine just IRDA to do now. All this is done with the Gentoo-sources and I'm very happy with the performance.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ...i'm a BIG fan of open source ...and an advice i can givu is the same as i got when i was a complete newbie: "whenever you install a new linuxbox, always get a source kernel and compile it ...never ever use a precompiled kernel" ...i followed thet advice and i'm happy i did ;)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
squanto wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

I want a gigabit ISP!

Does anyone actually have an INTERNET connection that fast? I mean, you can have a LAN that is gigabit, but an internet connection like that would be insane for bandwidth costs. Not to mention that you wouldn't likely get that speed much beyond your own connection....

And trust me, most sites get maxed out far before my LAN does.

I'm not sure about the external speed on our net, but we have 3 connection points around the world to serve 40000+ users, so I guess the speed is not too bad :twisted:

Erik
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I don't get 1300, but it's very close to that. Packet loss to ibiblio is almost totally nonexistent from where I am.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
Maybe I don't get 1300, but it's very close to that. Packet loss to ibiblio is almost totally nonexistent from where I am.

I hear ya. Just wanted to point out what I did.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ;)
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my home machine: Duron 800, 768mb Ram = 2.4.19-gentoo-r9a

My work machine: AMD XP 1800+ 512mb Ram = 2.4.19-gentoo-r9a

I'm pondering to switch back to mjc sources again... now where the hell is he those days on IRC...

-/Craigo/-
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo-2.4.19-r9 on my athlon xp 1800, 512 megs of ram. The major reason I saw to go with the gentoo sources over the vanilla sources was kernel preemption which has made things run much smoother on my computer while a high cpu-usage process was running (i.e. emerge).
volospin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo-source before when I install 1.2, no problem
I format and reinstall the same machine with 1.4rc1 and r9 have trouble
with the i810 chipset...

so... I will try vanilla, or should I do lolo?
doug-x07
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using gentoo sources on xp1800 with 1g ram with grsecurity, crypto api and evms compiled in. Not had a single problem so far and performance is good. :) Never bothered trying with vanilla.
try { $again } catch { $problem && $resolve };
bless $posters; }
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: two boxen Reply with quote

Here's me:

Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII366 + 128MB (laptop). Running Vanilla sources for 2 months now. No problems with that 'cept me somehow persuading my kernel headers (and god knows what else) to self distruct (thanks to the forum for helping me find that). This was my first Gentoo install and I had to give up on gentoo-sources for it after six or seven compile attempts, as I could not get PCMCIA to play nice. No PCMCIA = No NIC so no Gentoo sources for me. I keep meaning to try it again but I boobed when I built the machine and created too small a /var partition (I run out of space on a kernel compile - :oops: !). I'll get round to fixing it eventually. Performance seems much better than when I had Slackware on it.

AMD K6-2 400 + 256MB (Server - SMB). This one runs gentoo-sources just great. I did cheat with this one and installed using the K6-2 optimised tarball. That said, gentoo-sources compiled just fine and my USB works great:

modules.autoload:
Code:

mousedev
keybdev
hid
usb-ohci

I just made sure that all USB stuff was compiled as modules - a lesson from my PCMCIA fiasco.

The only problem with this box is its abject refusal to compile kde or gnome (not that I really need them). I suspect a dodgy motherboard (PC-Chips - 'nuff said) so am not bothering trying to fix.

I'll soon be rebuilding my XP box (900MHz Duron) so another gentoo-sources will hopefully be joining the fold then.
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[phoenix@gandalf] # uname -a
Linux gandalf 2.4.19-xfs-r2 #11 Fri Nov 15 13:22:07 GMT 2002 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
-- with lpp Patch :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: