Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/usr/portage - does there exist a public NFS share?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: /usr/portage - does there exist a public NFS share? Reply with quote

I've just installed Gentoo. After hearing "gentoo is _so_ cool!" too many times, I actually got a bit disappointed anyway. Well, it _is_ better than all the other alternatives, anyway.

One of the things I find quite annoying is some bloatyness in /usr/portage - I'd like to have a small database of all available software locally, but I really don't appreciate to have ~100 MB with ebuild-scripts and other stuff locally - and I dislike rsync - it's damn slow for one thing. It was pointed out to me that I don't need to have all this stuff locally anyway; it's read-only data, and it can perfectly well exist at a NFS share.

So, the question is: does there exist any public NFS portage servers?
thinair
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's so big ?

It is the same as a cache... for fast rebuild of the system... you don't need to redownload/recompile everythink... it's juste there... I think it's good...

Sorry I don't know the answer of your question...

--
thinair
KiLLaCaT
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: /usr/portage - does there exist a public NFS share? Reply with quote

Tobix wrote:
So, the question is: does there exist any public NFS portage servers?

no, sorry.
but its a good idea, if you have your own network, and you want to install eg the new kde, or something.

i think is silly to download all the sources, or download them manually.

and only the update-process of portage works with rsync.
if your dl rate is to slow, choose another mirror, or try to get broadband internet acess!

jax
Tobix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure it's so big ?

I don't remember what I counted, and I temporary deleted it .. but somewhere between 20 and 100 megabytes.

Quote:

It is the same as a cache... for fast rebuild of the system... you don't need to redownload/recompile everythink... it's juste there... I think it's good...

That's a reason for keeping the distfiles (should be an option on that, for most people it's better to fetch it again from the network) and the ebuild-files for the packages that are already installed, but not for _all_ packages.
Tobix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: /usr/portage - does there exist a public NFS share? Reply with quote

Quote:

no, sorry.
but its a good idea, if you have your own network, and you want to install eg the new kde, or something.

I'll see if I can get such a thing hosted locally.

Quote:

only the update-process of portage works with rsync.
if your dl rate is to slow, choose another mirror, or try to get broadband internet acess!

When I'm online, my connection is usually good - when I'm complaining the syncing is slow, it's because rsync is slow, not my network connection.

I don't like the attitude "get yourself a better connection" or "get yourself better hardware" - something I often meet when I'm complaining about bloatyness. Improving the resources is not always an option. I could be communicating through a satelite connection from Himalaya for all you knew..... ;-) (...and I still do connect through a slow modem and a slow ISP when I'm visiting my parents-in-law...)
Tobix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently investigating the possibilities for putting up a public NFS-share locally at td.org.uit.no.

I have a theory that if not only /usr/portage, but the whole /usr was shared out and all software compiled for i386, it could be possible to boot up gentoo just from a floppy (thus making the installation process simpler for people who have a network connection, but not a CD-ROM), test out software prior to the installation, etc. The programs should probably be installed not directly under /usr/, but rather something like /usr/nfs-share/ such that people could have /usr locally, but still mount up /usr/nfs-share.

It's a pretty nifty idea, isn't it? With gentoo, installation takes a lot of time - if the binaries was available through NFS, it would be possible to take a peek at the compiled package and see if it is worth the effort or not. Of course there would be security issues, though....

Any thoughts about this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: