Noob wanting to set up (not so simple) MIDI in gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Noob wanting to set up (not so simple) MIDI in gentoo Reply with quote

I'm thinking about putting my old (but still great) SW60XG ISA MIDI output card in my gentoo box. (It would relieve me from running a windows box to do this task). The SW60XG is a Yamaha card I've had since early '97 that I haven't found to be bettered in sounds for the money. With new PC's not having ISA slot's I need to pop it in an ISA board - my gentoo box being a prime candidate, so I don't have to keep my KT133 Athlon running forever.

Currently I have a Creative SB-512-PCI POS in there as well - but I haven't had time to get it working yet. What I want to achieve is to allow any incoming MIDI information on the SB-512 MIDI port to be sent to the XG with minimal latency. This doesn't sound too hard to achieve, but I don't know where to start! So if you can help me with commands & packages to allow MIDI to work I'd be very happy! :lol: :D

(Also if I can get audio out from the SB-512 it could be good - I envisage having a continuous MP3 stream to feed to my hi-fi).
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your best bet is ALSA (checkout gentoo site documentation -> alsa) and hope both boards are supported. I plugged in my midi keyboard just for fun and I could simply cat /dev/sound/??midi to /dev/sound/??midi don't know exactly what name it was I think /dev/sound/[a/ad]mide > /dev/sound/midi . So setup both cards correctly (if they are supported) and just cat the correct ports, latency shouldn't be at a minimum, well use the preempt and latency patch for the kernel to be on the safe side. ps. I have the sblive gameport compiled in my kernel, don't know if that mathers,.....

Well hope you fix it,

Cya lX.
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be able to try that over the weekend - thanks.

Where would I find the low latency/pre-emptive patch?
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aconnect, part of alsa is what you want.
i have used it but i cant quite recollect the details...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: