Is KDE3 ready?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jounihat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Is KDE3 ready? Reply with quote

What do you think about this? Should KDEvelopers stop worrying about KDE 3.x series after they've finished with 3.3.x, or is there still going to be one more big release, KDE 3.4?

In my opinion they should soon start to concentrate on KDE4. As far as I know, the X.org project has started its work with OpenGL desktop, and the KDE team should certainly cooperate with them. I'm waiting to see a decent, accelerated Linux desktop environment before year 2006, and there's still a lot of work to do (I know about LG, but it's really not a decent Linux DE). Besides, the new KDE 3.3 seems rock solid, and very capable of being the last in the 3.x series. Of course, few 3.3.x releases will still be needed.

Any facts about this?

-There's really only one reasonable OS, and that's Open Source!
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the KDE thing but I would love to see KDE4 as i was reading kdeinit might be done away with thats my biggest complaint lol.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've made little secret about the fact that 3.3 is the last in the 3.x series. After this, it's all a wait for QT4.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFIK it is still not clear if the next release will be kde4 or kde3.4.

Anyway, it looks like there are some good things to come.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39164634,00.htm
markfl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the KDE guys want KDE4 to use QT 4, they're probably going to scrap arts as well :)
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're waiting for Qt4, then some work on 3.x wouldn't go amiss. Otherwise I think 3's really getting near as good as it's going to be without major changes which would warrant v4.

I'm certainly excited to see what 4 could bring - if they do it right, of course.
ketjow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definatelly like the idea of an OpenGL-accelareted desktop in near future. Does anyone know, when we can be expecting some test-releases?
jounihat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm quite happy with the newest KDE release. The only thing I'd like to see is few more Kprograms to the release version (like KRecipes and Kcdspeed). Do any of you guys have anything huge to complain? You know, something that should still be done in the 3.x series.

-There's really only one reasonable OS, and that's Open Source!
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:
Not sure about the KDE thing but I would love to see KDE4 as i was reading kdeinit might be done away with thats my biggest complaint lol.

Code:

me@mymachine ~ $ cat /etc/env.d/99kde-env
(...)
KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1   

Setting that option might work (it does for me). Changelog for kde-env:
Code:

*kde-env-3-r3 (25 Aug 2004)

25 Aug 2004; Caleb Tennis <caleb@gentoo.org> kde-env-3-r3.ebuild:
  New version, supports KDE_MALLOC and KDE_IS_PRELINKED (see bug #60771)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:

You don't HAVE to use kdeinit since KDE 3.2.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From where it stands right now, it looks like there will be a quick KDE 3.4 release at the end of the year. Perhaps a 4 or 5 month cycle like KDE 2.0 -> KDE 2.1. There was a meeting about it @ the annual KDE contributor's conference this week.

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+3.4+or+4.0+Discussion

That timeline sounds right, because there won't be a beta of Qt 4.0 out until November.

Some people are already starting to hack on KDE 4-related technologies however, such as the new kdemm framework that will replace arts. It's a pluggable framework that can use for example, gstreamer (probably going to be default), or NMM (which, judging from the buzz at akdemy, is uber-cool)
fridgemagnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: gstreamer vs nmm Reply with quote

Hello

Does anyone know if the KDE guys are planning to use NMM or GStreamer?

I think its a real pity that GStreamer is based on C and has dependencies on glib. AFAIK NMM doesn't have any such dependencies, and NMM is C++, thus object oriented, maybe more suited for multimedia.

It makes no sense making a multimedia framework that depends on a GUI toolset. I read that GStreamer used to depend on gtk+ but switched to just glib. I mean.....why oh why..... multimedia framework has nowt to do with a gui.

Anyone know what the KDE guys are gonna use? I'm secretly gunning for nmm.

Andy
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here: http://cvs-digest.org/index.php?issue=aug272004

Here are the relevant parts:
Quote:

There is a general consensus among KDE developers that aRts sucks. It is unmaintained and possibly unmaintainable. So what multimedia backend should KDE support? GStreamer? NMM? MAS? All three were discussed last weekend at aKademy (video and audio archives here). Each has advantages and disadvantages. Which framework should KDE use? In the best tradition of, well, everything, the best choice iswhen one can avoid a decision. So developers started building a backend called kdemm which is described by Matthias Kretz as "A common interface to multimedia functions that are implemented in exchangeable backends".

Quote:

Matthias Kretz committed a change to kdelibs/kdemm in make_it_cool on August 24, 2004 at 01:58:32 PM

The outcome of many discussions here at aKademy: A common interface to multimedia functions that are implemented in exchangeable backends.

Backends will be put into kdemultimedia until we decide to move one to kdelibs to be the default backend.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default backend /at this point/ (very early in development), looks like it will be gstreamer. You'll be able to use NMM if you prefer it.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And glib has nothing to do with GUI stuff. Yes, it is used by GTK+ but it's not a GUI library in itself, and is not a "gnome-specific" thing either, neither is gstreamer.
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakub wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:

Code:

me@mymachine ~ $ cat /etc/env.d/99kde-env
(...)
KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1   

Setting that option might work (it does for me). Changelog for kde-env:
Code:

*kde-env-3-r3 (25 Aug 2004)

25 Aug 2004; Caleb Tennis <caleb@gentoo.org> kde-env-3-r3.ebuild:
  New version, supports KDE_MALLOC and KDE_IS_PRELINKED (see bug #60771)

Awesome tip. :D
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernovus wrote:
And glib has nothing to do with GUI stuff. Yes, it is used by GTK+ but it's not a GUI library in itself, and is not a "gnome-specific" thing either, neither is gstreamer.

That's hardly the point is it? glib isn't ideal for C++ coders. In fact, most C++ coders try to avoid programming with glib and other such C-based "utility" libraries like a plague. That's why arts remained utterly unmaintained for years.
fridgemagnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Jakub

supernovus wrote:

Yeah, sorry for not being clearer. I know that glib isn't a GUI library. What I meant was that gtk+ is, and used to be a GStreamer dependency. As for glib, its still a dependency. One which I see no need for, in a multimedia framework.

shm wrote:
That's hardly the point is it? glib isn't ideal for C++ coders. In fact, most C++ coders try to avoid programming with glib and other such C-based "utility" libraries like a plague. That's why arts remained utterly unmaintained for years.

This is exactly what I am trying to say. The KDE developers say they have a real problem with the fact that GStreamer isnt C++, and I can understand why.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: