View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush will be elected president. There will be a successful attempt on his life, but Cheney's failing health will preclude him from taking office. Colin Powell will be upset at not becoming the president, because Dennis Hastert (unless unelected between now and then) will ascend to the throne. Bush becomes a martyr, considering that he was murdered by a youth of middle-eastern descent (and no, I'm English). Hastert, being a low-profile politician, will be summarily replaced by Colin Powell.
Due to the major media companies being owned (by definition) by major financial powers, the coverage will grow increasingly slanted toward the interests that would save the owners and senior officials the most tax money and open their paths to further accquisitions; namely, the Republican party. Either the Democratic party will follow suit and become DINO or it will perish of obscurity.
The United States situations of foreign affairs will continue their ethical decline. Look forward to Azerbaijan being annexed by hook or by crook, as it's a tiny impoverished anonymous country with an ex-KGB "president" that sits atop a massive store of oil. This will happen in approximately 2008.
2008 will be a crucial election, but the Democrats will lose unless they propose a candidate supporting corporate interests. It is likely that the left will lose a significant portion of their representation in Congress over the next few years, suffering defeat after defeat. Disheartened defectors might create a third party, but it will likely be discredited.
In the next few years, the oil crisis will become increasingly severe, but noone will buy alternatively-fueled vehicles because there are no pumps, and noone will install pumps because there are no alternatively-fueled vehicles. GM's efforts in producing vehicles capable of running alternative fuels (a project a few years old as of 2004) will become a side-project; when it is revived, it will be too late. Foreign vehicles will dominate the automobile market, having taken ample advantage of their snoozing American counterparts.
American education will continue to become increasingly corporatized. In exchange for much-needed funding, schools will serve Taco Bell and Coke instead of barf-a-roni and milk (this happened at my high school, to a certain extent). Linux might make great leaps in the impoverished public schools, but I tend to think that the school boards will receive nice Tablet PCs in the mail and forget about Open Source entirely. History books, instead of becoming increasingly sensitive in respect to cultural sensitivity and other hard-won qualities, will become baldly honest about the US's past indiscretions in foreign and internal policy.
Marijuana will stay illegal, while tobacco is lightly beaten back and alcohol's popularity continues to be nearly universal. Prescription drug abuse will increase. Psychiatry will become a very popular major as it can net unscrupulous script-writers hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Corporatization of science in general might take hold. The pharmaceutical industries will create newer and better drugs to occupy your mind, based on illusory or vaguely-defined symptoms. We have drugs for sex, drugs for food... so now we'll have drugs for aggression. The populace will become largely complacent.

In the 2000-teens, the dollar will become obsolete. Availability of high-quality vector scanners and laser printers in every home will make counterfeiting too dangerous to the economy. Black market operations will be another reason. All financial operations will be switched to a card much like a smart card that holds not only your economic information but your health and educational information as well. There will be no need to undergo credit checks, as algorithms will decide how much money you can borrow at any given time. Workers will be paid instantly instead of every two weeks -- as a result of the human lack of self-control (also instant spending), poverty will increase. Companies will consider reversing their decision, but as they profit from the impulse buying they will offer financial counseling classes instead.

Computers? In an amazing last-minute save, Moore's Law will continue to hold true due to the massive increase of people entering computer-related fields. We'll have effective optical computers in a few years (the math says 16 -- I say 12) that will make all currently existing computers together look like an abacus. Hard drives will be replaced entirely by solid state mechanisms, and the new optical device will be either a cube or a ball (most likely an egg shape) whose basic design depends upon holograms. These can be amazingly small, as a 1" holographic square could theoretically hold approximately 2 000 000 petabytes of storage and be accessed far faster than any hard drive.
Once we're rid of silicon and the size/cooling requirements of hard drives, computers will get smaller and smaller and require less materials to build. A computer will finally be in every home, a computer that we cannot even comprehend now (and will likely be unable to comprehend then). Computers will practically be handed out, since they will become (like phone lines and post office boxes) essential to doing any sort of business.

I see two ways the human race can go from there -- either the US has a short period of continued exploitation of the majority of the rest of the world, or we somehow manage to grow wise and stop fucking around. I personally think we're going to see a lot of modular apartments (everything else is dispensable, why not homes?) while the homeless continue to sleep in newspapers. I'm sure our generation won't see the end of brutality, despite magnificent progress in technology.

Hmm... sorry so long.
Albert_Alligator
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shurik wrote:
PASKIJONES wrote:
No way ! Chrstianism lacks blind believers ready to offer their lives in religious quarrels.

What about all the martyrs? I mean, you have to be pretty fanatical if you feel that getting yourself eaten by a lion is a good way to make a point,

You hit the nail on the head......

Let's start feeding Christians to the lions again....we could charge money! Oooo, and lets do away with elected presidents and bring back Caesar! Oooooooo gladiators would be kick butt, all we need to do for that is take off all rules from King of the Ring, or the UFC and let them fight any way or with any think they like (cept guns, where would the fun be in watching that)....and award style points to those who wack their opponents while juggling chainsaws. :roll:

Al

And I'm still waiting for flying cars....we were promised flying cars....oh, and big space ships and transporters, I want to see flying cars!
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsahoo wrote:
Athas wrote:
I predict that every currently living human will die within a few centuries.

you mean die for good ? i doubt

Do you really believe that anyone currently alive will live for much more than a century? Check my post again, I said every currently living human. :wink:
PASKIJONES
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
PASKIJONES wrote:
No way ! Chrstianism lacks blind believers ready to offer their lives in religious quarrels.

Bullshit. The Christian Bible doesn't warn against false prophets for nothing.

So what, buddy ? Probably my english lacks ( doesn't have ) fluency when wording about complicated ideas but i can't see any reference to christian bible, false prophets or anything like that in my post, so sorry ...
PASKIJONES
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shurik wrote:
PASKIJONES wrote:

What about all the martyrs? I mean, you have to be pretty fanatical if you feel that getting yourself eaten by a lion is a good way to make a point,

Probably i forgot to include the word " NOWADAYS " when drafting my sentense. Western religion skips death but in funerals since middle age, when those considered witches or infidels were sacrified in the name of some good-natured, merciful crature know as God, he ...
PASKIJONES
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head......

Let's start feeding Christians to the lions again....we could charge money! Oooo, and lets do away with elected presidents and bring back Caesar! Oooooooo gladiators would be kick butt, all we need to do for that is take off all rules from King of the Ring, or the UFC and let them fight any way or with any think they like (cept guns, where would the fun be in watching that)....and award style points to those who wack their opponents while juggling chainsaws. :roll:

Al

And I'm still waiting for flying cars....we were promised flying cars....oh, and big space ships and transporters, I want to see flying cars![/quote]

Hi, hu, ha, buddy ...
mtcx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: The Singularity Reply with quote

The Singularity will happen. 8)
yxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the future: i. will. defecate.
Wi1d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*The future*

Technology - more integration