View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: mine new ramdisk doesnt work Reply with quote

ive tried everything written above, but i still get errors when trying to run my new ramdisk, there's a kernel panic because no init was found and i should "try passing init= option to kernel" but thats already in there...

and while im at it, does anyone know how i could get a script to start automatically after the cd is done loading??
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out isolinux resources for those answers...

make sure that your /sbin/init file is executable, and you can add whatever you want in there... note that if you're hacking a live cd its a whoooollleee different procedure as it uses a custom init to kick things over

for reference, the iso building scripts are available thru the web-cvs link on gentoo's website , look around in the gentoo-src cvs module and you may find some things that make this whole procedure a _lot_ less painful ;)
synic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the CD, and it boots, but if I just press enter to boot the gentoo kernel with the default options, it says that initrd.1024 cannot be found. The only way I can get it to boot is to type "nofb" for no frame buffer (it seems to find that initrd ok).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

synic

P.S. I looked in the isolinux directory on the cd and all the initrd files, including initrd.1024, are there.
revil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing things have changed a bit since livecd version 1.2.

rescue.gz no longer resides on the cd. any clue how to do it now?
hackertype
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get a message saying initrd.1024 cannot be found. Using nofb allows me to boot though.

I want to make my CD this way because livecd-ng makes you download and build everything. I also didn't see any facility for adding custom files to the livecd using livecd-ng.
gatiba
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded gentoo-3stages-x86-1.4_rc4.iso (214 mb) but when i mount it on loop0 i can't find rescue.gz !
It's not in isolinux ...
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatiba wrote:
I have downloaded gentoo-3stages-x86-1.4_rc4.iso (214 mb) but when i mount it on loop0 i can't find rescue.gz !
It's not in isolinux ...

Yeah, this howto is only good for the 1.2 livecds. This thread will help you build a recent one; basically, what you need is in the cloop file. Good luck!
nngs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very useful

one minor correction: last command needs a '-l' option
[ToXiC]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Kernel Requirements Reply with quote

When compiling a new kernel for the LiveCD what needs to be included to make it fully functional? Filesystems, etc?
[ToXiC]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: mkisofs error when making iso Reply with quote

When I do a " mkisofs -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -
b /opt/working/iso/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c /opt/working/iso/isolinux/boot.cat -o /opt/newgentoo.iso" I get the error "mkisofs: Missing pathspec."

ANy ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I am making a new 1.4 cd.
-[ToXiC]
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squinky86 wrote:
Yeah, this howto is only good for the 1.2 livecds. This thread will help you build a recent one; basically, what you need is in the cloop file. Good luck!

maybe you should look there? not sure this works properly with 1.4 :(
7biohazard7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synic wrote:
I made the CD, and it boots, but if I just press enter to boot the gentoo kernel with the default options, it says that initrd.1024 cannot be found. The only way I can get it to boot is to type "nofb" for no frame buffer (it seems to find that initrd ok).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

synic

P.S. I looked in the isolinux directory on the cd and all the initrd files, including initrd.1024, are there.

I also get a message saying initrd.1024 cannot be found. Using nofb allows me to boot though.

Help,please.
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way ive been able to get around it is to just name initrd.1024 to initrd and change isolinux.cfg so that it looks for initrd my default

this has worked for my own personal use because i dont really need any of the others...

ps: in some instances renaming to initrd.800 has worked too
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The partthat's confusing me here is where you say, 'make sure you include the needed libraries.' Once I have found out what libraries are needed, exactly how do I include them? Also this guide is quite old and there is no longer a ram disk image called 'rescue.tgz' There is however one called initrd. (No .tgz extension) How I wonder should I xtractthis? Any input anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Q
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and here is the output I got from the last two stages of this process. Apparently a few things have changed since Gentoo 1.4.

bash-2.05b# cd /mnt/iso
bash-2.05b#
bash-2.05b# rm /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.catalog
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.catalog': No such file or directory
bash-2.05b# rm /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.catalog
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.catalog': No such file or directory

bash-2.05b# mkisofs -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.catalog -o /mnt/newgentoo.iso
mkisofs: Missing pathspec.
Usage: mkisofs [options] file...

Use mkisofs -help
to get a list of valid options.
bash-2.05b#[/code]

Q
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order to extract the initrd you would type
gunzip -c initrd > somefile

and then you mount -o loop somefile /to/some/dir

but that really wont do you any good as the initrd is only 4megs (me thinks) and is only used for the purpose of setting up the system. if you want to add anything nowadays you need to use the .cloop file in the cdrom

you cant add anything though, because if you mount with the cloop module, it will be read only, you could try extract_compressed_fs, but i still dont know if there's room. therefore, you'd have to do like the tutorial on the first page says in order to create the loopback filesystem....

then you'll need to run create_compressed_fs in order to create a .cloop file.
copy that onto the cd, call it livecd.cloop, and you should be golden

*note: cloop, create_compressed_fs, and extract_compressed_fs can be obtained by emerging cloop
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you posted while i was typing.... grrr no i have to write some more

bash-2.05b# mkisofs -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.catalog -o /mnt/newgentoo.iso

after that you neet to tell it what directory to use for the iso

so it should look like

Code:
bash-2.05b# mkisofs -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.catalog -o /mnt/newgentoo.iso my-gentoo-dir
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm I'm not sure I understood rodrigr there, not quite. It would be nice if someone could make an updated 1.4 guide - but oh well... ;)

To be honest I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just add a 2.6 kernel to the ISO so that the whole system will be built with a 2.6 kernel in place. I don't know, but at a hunch it might help with some consistency issues I've been having.

I tried your instructions to burn the iso, i.e. I navagated to the directory containing all the files that would be on he iso are located (that is the two directories called 'isolinux' and gentoo') which in my case is simply /mnt/iso and ran the command '# mkisofs -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -r -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.catalog -o /mnt/newgentoo.iso /mnt/gentoo (mnt/gentoo being a directory I have made and where i would like the iso to be placed).' However the only response got was 'mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'isolinux'

This directory is in factlocated at /mnt/iso/isolinux....

So if all I want to do is run the cd with a new 2.6x kerne included, how I wonder would achieve this? I don't care about aditional software,(so long as lynx and nano are still there) although it would be nice to figure out how to do a a later date.

Also noticed that the files that this process made contained an initrd taken from the iso. I wonder therefore, is it ok just to use the initrd that genkernel made for my 2.6 kernel, and replace the one that came off the cd? It just seems that would then have a matching initrd and kernel and kernel headers, which I assume would make a lot of sense.

Please tell me how to o this. I would be very interested n your response.

Q
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry, what i meant was that the last argument is the folder where the files you want to be on the iso are ... in your case /mnt/iso - thats where the files you want to put on the cds are, right?

also, ive tried, and it is currently impossible to put a 2.6 kernel on the cd because the cloop module does not have support for that kernel, yet....

if you really had your heart set on using a 2.6 kernel, then you'd have to copy everything in the cloop device file (usually called livecd.cloop) into a ramdisk file....
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new official (beta) 2.6 live CD anyway. What would still be cool though would be if there was a Gentoo ISO generator, like there is for Geexbox. It is then up to you whatever programs you include on the live CD.

Q
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try livecdng
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a link? There's a lot of chat about it on the forums, but no links...

Q
rodrigrj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge livecd-ng
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks.

Q
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, but what i would like, was a guide like the one to hack knoppix cd, i would like to place my own kernel on the livecd, and change the startup services, add some applications and stuff, it would own! can someone help me?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: