Buy new PC or wait some more?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Buy new PC or wait some more? Reply with quote

Well, my old trusty AMD XP 1600+ based PC is getting tired... Im starting to miss out on some new games and stuff, so time to upgrade. I decided I'd be going for AMD64 I could start buying components today, socket 754 based and all. Or, I could wait a bit more until socket 939 and PCI-express stuff gets a bit more common (cheaper).

I don't have unlimited budget, but I'm not going for cheapest either, so something in the middle.

I kinda lost track of all those abbreviations as well, so if somebody could point me to the site that explains all those "dual-ddr" and so on. Also which chipset should I go for, nforce3 or something else?

What hard drive, SATA WD Raptor? Is that drive quiet as well? Enlighten me please!
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you telling me there is a game that doesn't run in an XP-1600? How much RAM do you have? Lunch-money upgrades can do miracles for some comps.
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar boat (AMD 1800+)

I think I'm going to wait a bit longer though, because the price point of the 64 bit chips are going to drop, and the PCI-Express is going to become widely available..

I know I'd kick myself buying a brand new Geforce 6800 AGP card only to have the PCI Express ones launch and make me look bad!

And yes, I really like the SATA "Raptor" harddrives.. I think I'm going to do two 36.7 GB's in a RAID in my new tower (but I'm not building it yet!)

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 GB RAM and it's not about it, it just lacks power for the likes of DOOM3 and newer stuff. Also it would be cool to be able to run FRAPS for video capture of some triumphical moments in the games I play :lol:
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking. You never know what sort of crap-ass configurations some people run these days.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a xp2000 I want to upgrade but I'm going to wait, which is what I would recommend to you imho
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of specing up my new beast. I am tempted with AMD64 but I need to research the compatibility issues, the existance of the Opteron chips have cast a little doubt in my mind that things will run as expected (if at all) on the AMD64.

Edit -- I think my confusion has been cleared up, AMD64 can run 32 bit software, as can the Opteron which gets advertised as such, but the AMD64 is physically limited to single processor machines, whereas the opteron is not.

No doubt though, the future is 64bit, I am just concerned that the momentum might not be behind it yet.

Personally I buy one off the top, and in todays climate that probably means to buy at the top end of the AMD XP range, the chip is quite cheap and it is a proven tech.

In the past I have generally bought memory that is the cheapest for size and performance and have never had a problem (except to reseat some memory once). I must admit though this time I am looking at the more expensive memory, but still cannot help feel that it is a bit of a ripoff, normally twice the price. Anyone with a view on budget memory versus deluxe memory please post.

There will always be the latest and greatest out there to moisten and thrill your tech libido; when it gets to a point where DDR2 drops in price, there might be DDR3 etc. I think buy when you need to, in 2 years time whatever you have bought will be half price or obsolete (if you buy top end then in 6 months it will be half price).

I am also getting bogged down in case selection (I never use to care as long as it was a full tower), do I want the window, fast release, and a front panel fan control and display?

Cooling is something I will take more seriously this time round though, and whilst I might not water cool, I will probably indulge in the best cpu and case fans and even perhaps a system blower (they plug into PCI slots and expel hot air!).
kevdoig
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

socket 939 isn't too badly priced at he moment. No pci-express for it yet though. Waiting for the VIA-k8t890 chip for this.
If you want a new machine, go buy one. You could wait for PCI-Express, but it'll be expensive at first for AMD i would have thought. Then you'll probably wait a little longer.. (intel 4ghz 64bit start of next year).. but then dual-cores coming... or wait a quad core in 2007.. you could wait on that...
get my point? Theres always gonna be something coming through thats gonna make your computer a relic of the past as you order it.. but just get on with it!
dyqik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom3 runs playably on my housemate's Athlon 1400 with 512 MB of RAM and a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB of DDR at high quality 1024x768.

I've got a Athlon 1400 that is clockable to 1.4 GHz (from 1.2 GHz) that I'm going to ramp up for Doom3 (I don't O/C normally because of the heat, particularly over the last few months in the UK). I might have to buy a better graphics card than my GeForce 4MX though.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in the same boat.

My goal would be to build the new box in q4, 2004.

Right now my system would consist of:

FX-53: But very expensive 8O
Board: A board with 939-socket an nforce 3 chipset
2 Gigs of RAM: Corsair ?, because of good timings
Nvidia 6800 GT The ultra is just too power hungry
Disks: Hitachi or Samsung, IDA or SATA, dont know yet.
Sound: Maybe a soundblaster of onboard sound sucks

I'm not so keen on overclocking, so i prefer a system with good specs and leave it the way it is.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuardin wrote:
Just checking. You never know what sort of crap-ass configurations some people run these days.

Ouch.

I have a 700 MHz P3 laptop.

Having said that, here's the best computer shopping advice that I have:

Go ahead and spend as much as your budget will allow.

Then don't look at any computer related magazines/websites for at least one year.
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wilburpan"]
Cuardin wrote:

Then don't look at any computer related magazines/websites for at least one year.

I think it would be safe to look at magazines and websites, just make sure you have some Pepto-Bismol around :wink:

jcm
1GB Dual-Channel DDR 3200
NVidia Geforce 6800 256MB

Laptop:
IBM R40
Pentium M 1.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
CrashPat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is the best time to build. Or wait. Doesn't matter.

if you wait and get PCI-Express you could wait and get whatever else is coming out next. It just doesn't really make any sense to play the waiting game forever.

My problem with waiting is that if I waited for PCI-express I'd buy that video card and pay extra for it, and never upgrade anyway. I go through a lot more motherboard upgrades than I do video card upgrades. Same with CPU. Sure, 754 may not have the future upgrades, but I've only upgraded just my CPU once in my life. I almost always get a new motherboard at the same time for whatever reason.

Some people are the opposite though. They will upgrade their video cards a lot more than they do everything else. So then it makes sense because AGP cards are not going to be available, or readily anyway, in the top end in 12-18 months.

I guess it is a problem of six in one hand and half a dozen in the other.

I would not build an AthlonXP now though, simply because their is surely NO upgrade path.

My 2 cents.
mijenix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In this business u can't wait. The technology changes so fast that after 2 months ur Hardware is old! So buy not the recent stuff, to expensive, and buy not old things, to slow!

--Mathias
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mathias, just buy one step down from the latest. Then you get the best performance with only a 10% slowdown. You can't beat that.

For example, wait until PCI Express comes out, then get an AGP 8x video card. You'll save a bundle.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be getting Dual Opterons

Tyan Thunder K8W
Opteron 250's
Corsair XMS x4 512mb ram cause the tyan likes 4 sticks to run fast.

And the rest is pretty much up in the air I am hoping WD will oneup IBM with there 450gb monster and GFX I will just use my current card FX5900XT and toss my Geforce4 TI in this box kinda do the suffle till the 6800 comes down in price.

This is all pending that Tyan does not release a new Opteron board /me prays they do. I really want one with PCI-Express x16

And yea I been tossing the idea around for about 3 months guess its time to just get it overwith and buy it lol. I been hoping tyan will come up with the new board I am going to give them one more month mabie 2 at max I am tired of waiting :)

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would save the money and spend it all at one time. it really hurts when i buy components and the next component i buy i run into the one i just bought and its priced lower :(
SilentGreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting till next summer. Sure my Athlon XP 2100+ has been burned in and all three of my hard drives grind from being accessed so much (intense video editing) but I'm waiting for prices to really fall. :)
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to prices falling by next summer I've heard dual-core AMD chips will be arriving then.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll only wait until some decent nforce3 and socket 939 boards are available (perfereably Asus or Albit). In combination with low latency RAM (dual chanel) and a FX-proc this should be a decent system. For graphics the 6800 GT seems to be sufficient.
So that could be an option for you also bos_mindwarp.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: