Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
American awarded gold in men's gymnastics on technical error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be done with the gold medal in all-round gymnastic awarded to Paul Hamm?
reverse results giving gold to the Korean and bronze to Hamm
50%
 50%  [ 32 ]
awarded both Paul Hamm and the Korean a gold medal
19%
 19%  [ 12 ]
keep the results the way they are
30%
 30%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 63

feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: American awarded gold in men's gymnastics on technical error Reply with quote

Looks like the IOC has fucked it up again. Another Olympics has not gone by without a major fuckup and scandal. Read about it
here

The question is should the results be changed in the men's gymnastic competion, awarding the gold to Hamm, or awarding a joint medal? If no to both, should the flawed results stay the same?

I know this can be a contentious issue, because the IOC revered Germany's equestrian gold medal, after France and the US.

In my opinion, the IOC and the Olympics is a piece of shit--a joke. When there is a clear error, they will not rectify it. They are there to make a buck--avoiding any publicity of tarnishing the image of the games. Oh no, we can't ruin the 'American Pie' good country boy image of Paul Hamm. He has been practically idolized by NBC. But what happens if the Americans are screwed by the IOC?

Not to take anything away from Hamm. But, he should offer his gold to the Korean. It is the right thing to do and the most honorable.[/url]

Last edited by feliperal on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Koreans are hard at work. IOC.ORG is under a DDOS attack.

Last edited by feliperal on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirms my preminition, nobody cares about the Olympics. It would be nice to here peoples opinion why they vote that way.
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was an error, it should be corrected and gold be awarded to whoever won it.

Besides, the Olympics is just not important here in the US. The rest of the world shows the olympics live on TV and it is very popular. Don think the rest of the world has the same opionion as you when it comes to the olympics.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feliperal wrote:
Confirms my preminition, nobody cares about the Olympics. It would be nice to here peoples opinion why they vote that way.

The poll went up at 2:13AM US CDT, there probably weren't all that many people awake to answer then. Or maybe nobody is excited by stories of ineptitude and corruption from the IOC anymore. Anyway, I voted to reverse the medal. In the case of a clear judging screw-up, it's the only fair thing to do.

Last edited by wdreinhart on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted reverse the medals.

But the best thing would be that Hamm offered the gold medal to the south korean guy.
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when this happens they just award the gold to both, and not reverse it, and thats what i would like to see happen. i dont think hamm should have won anyway since he almost fell into the judges table. That was to huge of a screw up to be able to somehow come back, but i didnt really watch the rest of the men's events as I think men's gymnastics is ugly anyway.

feliperal wrote:

I love the olympics, I just dont love all the events. Pretty much all I really watch are real football ( soccar ), women's gymnastics ( just the floor and the balance beam ), and then swimming/diving ( because my girlfriend is an ex-swimmer and forces me to :D )

In fact im rooting for iraq in soccar in hopes that at least something good will happen to their country in the last decade.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the subjective nature of judging in gymnastics, diving, etc. is a joke.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Phoenix, AZ USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reverse it. He obviously didn't earn it. The three judges in question fraudulently scored Yang Tae-young. Hamm, at the very least, should give his gold to Tae-young if the IOC doesn't rectify the mistake.
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that both the Korean and Paul Hamm can be both winners. Paul Hamm has a chance to be the biggest story of these games, ahead of Michael Phelps 8 medals (5 gold), by being a great sportsmen and giving his medal to the Korean.

In sports today all we see is the arrogance and crass like atitude. In basketball, the objective is to dunk on someone and trash talking; American football you do an endzone dance or taunt the defensive players as you run for the touchdown. Even in non-American sports like futbol (soccer), we can see signs of poor sportsmanship.

n the USA, in South Korea and around the world, people who couldn't care less about gymnastics would laud his dignity, sportsmanship and honor, especially because it represents such a polar opposite to the in-your-face arrogance and selfishness of so much of what we see in today's sports. Hamm would lose nothing, really, and would gain everything.

For instance, you don't think sponsors would be just a little bit interested in the guy who handed back his gold? In purely monetary terms — which I'm hoping isn't part of the discussion between Hamm, his family and his advisers — it's a no-brainer. And if that doesn't matter to him, if speeches and appearances and fame are not his thing, then his fallback position is something his mother would love: He gave up the gold because it simply was the right thing to do.

I would like to here the views of the seven people who voted to not reverse the standings. If there is any alternate views, please post.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past such mistakes were not reversed due to the subjective nature of the gymnastics. I don't see why we should start reversing them now. Yeah, it sucks and I would rather have had the Korean won. I was actually watching the competition and was very surprised by the decision. At the time I thought that the differing starting values must have made the difference, now I know otherwise.

Despite all of that, I don't think that taking away his medal or re-judging the event would be the right thing to do at all. It has never been done before now, and It would be absurd to start taking away medals and re-judging events that people believe to be unfairly judged. Gymnastics and Diving are subjective events, this is a fact I accept. If you don't like that, I guess you'd be best watching track and field events, swimming, table tennis, bastekball, or one of the other myriad of non subjective events.

If Hamm wants to give away his medal, or if they want to award dual medals then that'd be great, even though it's not clear the koreans would even have won gold.

Some people are attempting to make it seem like the olympic judges are pro american which is kind of absurd considering that the medal reversal in the equastrian event DID NOT favor the US.

That's my opinion at least.

BTW: Slyde, stop trolling.
headache
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Hvatum wrote:

Some people are attempting to make it seem like the olympic judges are pro american which is kind of absurd considering that the medal reversal in the equastrian event DID NOT favor the US.

BTW: Slyde, stop trolling.

Oh puhleeeeaaassseee.....

That is just stupid. This has nothing to do with nationality, but everything to do with correcting the incorrect. It's not like you can enter another olympic contest next week and then get the gold. It's 4 freaking years until next time and the person in question might not even be able to compete. This is very often a one-shot chance, and I think everything should be done in order to get the correct results. Nobody cares what nationality they were.
brjames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is reversing the medals an option? Hamm's score was higher than the current silver place winner. Is it more fair to give Hamm a bronze when he should deserve a silver? In any case, giving two gold medals is probably the better option since thats what olympic precedent is.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headache wrote:
Kai Hvatum wrote:

Oh puhleeeeaaassseee.....

That is just stupid. This has nothing to do with nationality, but everything to do with correcting the incorrect. It's not like you can enter another olympic contest next week and then get the gold. It's 4 freaking years until next time and the person in question might not even be able to compete. This is very often a one-shot chance, and I think everything should be done in order to get the correct results. Nobody cares what nationality they were.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying! I'm sorry if you misunderstood my statement, but I'm saying that it obviousbly isn't an issue of nationality, despite the fact that SOME people are making it out to be an issue of nationality.

I know that it sucks, but just read above about why gymnastics is an event where people don't go back after the fact to redistribute medals.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic discussion on trolling and signatures split off here.
tomthewombat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole ordeal is a bunch of garbage. Sure this time the judges made a mistake in Korea's favor, but I'm sure the situation has been reversed before. That is why they have the rule that the results are final after the rotation moves on.

In no freaking way were the judges corrupt. Sure they may have had an idea what the judges would deduct, but I'm sure it wasn't on purpose. Besides I believe the event was a few from the end where paul was far behind.

Lastly, if you really want to goto the video then the korean should have been given a 0.2 because his routine was against the rules.

So now this poor innocent man should give up his medal to make the internation gymnastics program look better and improve our international relations (cause they all think we cheat anyway). Its a bunch of bull!!
tomthewombat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feliperal wrote:
I believe that both the Korean and Paul Hamm can be both winners. Paul Hamm has a chance to be the biggest story of these games, ahead of Michael Phelps 8 medals (5 gold), by being a great sportsmen and giving his medal to the Korean.

Yeah, right. The point is the entire gymnastics program sucks. The Korean probably shouldn't even have a medal and they want to give him Paul's very hard earned gold to get themselves out of trouble.

I say keep the darn things. Besides the fact that the rules state after the rotation scores are final.

Something needs to be done about the gymnastics program. Not about this one medal.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthewombat wrote:
feliperal wrote:

Yeah, right. The point is the entire gymnastics program sucks. The Korean probably shouldn't even have a medal and they want to give him Paul's very hard earned gold to get themselves out of trouble.

I say keep the darn things. Besides the fact that the rules state after the rotation scores are final.

Something needs to be done about the gymnastics program. Not about this one medal.

I completely agree. I find the letter that was written by the head of the Federation Internationale de Gymnastique to Paul Hamm saying that it would "be the best thing to do" if he gave up his medal is absurd. It's not Paul Hamm's job to make up for the idiocy of the judges! Besides, if the whole thing were re-judged they'd find a bunch of other mistakes and Paul Hamm could win anyway...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: