Degree of Support for Sparc on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Degree of Support for Sparc on Gentoo Reply with quote

How much support and optimization is there for Sparc on Gentoo? How is Gentoo Linux vs. Suse or RH? I ask because I love and have installed Gentoo on x86 and PPC and I was interested in Gentoo Sparc, but I don't see many posts in this forum. The paucity of posts either says there isn't much support or not many problems.

TIA
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as to a degree of support, it can vary based on the comparison. In your comparison to Redhat and Suse, we cannot provide commercial level support as we are not in that kind of setup. As for the more traditional newsgroup/forum/irc kind of support, there is a decent amount of that. Often times the things here are also talked about in the #gentoo-sparc channel on the irc.openprojects.net IRC server. So if you have a question that isn't getting answered here in the forum, you might consider posting it there.

As for optimization, we are currently working on making a full 64-bit userland distribution (for sparc64). None of the other linux's have this at the current time (that I'm aware of). The suggested GCC flags for program compilation can be found in the installation guide.

Let me know if this answers your question
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Actually, the *support* I was asking about was for the hardware, i.e. how through is the 32-bit and 64-bit userland support, standard Sun periphs etc. I'm not fond of the *official* tech support, not yet at least, for personal use. I just didn't see any Gentoo stats for Sparc.

Excellent to hear about the 64-bit. I've got an U60 sitting here beggin for Gentoo. I'm sure you'll hear more from me. ;)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blademan007 wrote:
Thanks. Actually, the *support* I was asking about was for the hardware, i.e. how through is the 32-bit and 64-bit userland support, standard Sun periphs etc. I'm not fond of the *official* tech support, not yet at least, for personal use. I just didn't see any Gentoo stats for Sparc.

Excellent to hear about the 64-bit. I've got an U60 sitting here beggin for Gentoo. I'm sure you'll hear more from me. ;)

Most of the difference between sparc and other platforms are taken care of in the configuration stage of an application.

To be honest, I work with support on Oracle on all kinds of platforms, the platform specific issues we have are very few comapred to the mor generic issues.

I think the same is true here, most of the support you'll get from the generic forums. The things that are related to machine specific opttions or hardware related issues can be psoted here.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: