Steam/Cedega sound problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale_uk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Steam/Cedega sound problems Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have successfully installed Cedega (latest version 4.0.1) and Steam, and Condition Zero, Counter-Strike and Half-Life run perfectly except for the sound.

When i'm clicking on the games' menues (like "Find Servers"), I can hear the "ticking" of the menu options, but they play like a stuck record - tick....tick...tick...tick - about 2 ticks a second. This is just when I'm hovering. As soon as I hover over one menu item, the ticking starts and carries on forever. This happenes in game too. When I get into a game, I hear a bit of game sound repeated like that, over and over.

The strange thing is, when I run the games windowed and have the window INACTIVE, and then hover over the area of the menu options, the sound is perfect! It acts just as normal, and the game sound is perfect too - of course, I can't actually play the game though, because as soon as I activate the window, the sound jams like a stuck record again.

Does anyone know what's going on? This is very disappointing, as I am SO CLOSE to being able to play it :(

I can play the game perfectly apart from the sound, the graphics are smooth and fine, no glitches or anything. But I'm sure you'll understand I need sound to play.

I am using the following:
  • kernel 2.6.8.1-nitro5 - changing my kernel made no difference
  • ALSA drivers, Soundblaster Live - all my other sound apps work fine - I also made sure no sound servers or other soundcard-using apps were running
  • ATi Radeon 9000 on fglrx - 3D is fine
  • Gnome desktop

If you need any other info like configs etc, just ask :)
Please help me, I'd really like to play this game on Linux - it's one of the last things tying me back to Windows.

Many thanks for any advice. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: