View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldiablo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that they are going to make 64bit drivers :)

I would be a bit boring to have a Athlon 64 3400+ and a X800XT card without managing to use it ;)
blaster999
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldiablo wrote:
I would be a bit boring to have a Athlon 64 3400+ and a X800XT card without managing to use it

I'd rather not buy X800XT - AFAIK ati now is not too concerned about making 64 bit drivers :evil:
Well, I hope to upgrade before christmas. If ATi drivers are not good by that time, I'll buy NVidia.
Some multimedia keys refuse to work? See my mini-howto:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1896734#1896734
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Almost 15,000 signatures. I'm impressed. : 8O
Registered Linux User #263260
Cheesepie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ content removed, DMCA ]

Last edited by Cheesepie on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bohemian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed!
Cheesepie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Cheesepie on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work cheesepie
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written ATI an support request via a webform a few weeks ago. I didn't think that they will write back but they did. The request was about 64bit drivers and some things which stood also in the petition. And yesterday i got a mailback from them. Look here:

Quote:
Dear Georg Schild,

Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your email has been assigned:
TicketGUID:{4C4AE009-AD42-4DAE-88B7-450062A1210D}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence
relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear
in the message body, not in the subject line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding your recent issue:

We apologize for the unusual delay in processing your email request. ATI released CATALYST 4.9 including new display drivers on September 9, 2004 for all RADEON series based graphics boards in Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Before continuing with advanced troubleshooting with your current installed configuration, we ask that you try this new driver in the hopes that it will correct the issues you experience. To obtain this driver, please follow the link below:

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

We advise that you print the installation tips for procedures to set up the new driver.

It is required that you have DirectX 9.0 installed BEFORE installing the updated ATI drivers. DirectX 9.0 is available from Microsoft at the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Should your issue persist with the latest CATALYST 4.9 driver and DirectX 9.0 installed, or if this driver update does not apply to your issue, please provide a newly revised ATI problem report, following the directions listed below:

- Click Start, Run, type atiixxpr and click OK or hit enter
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the report

Please include the complete text from this email with your reply. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Regards,

Customer Care
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

Can it be that the ATI Customer Care people are so silly that they are not able to read a request and then to answer it right? I don't know the exactly words i have used but i am 100% sure that i have never asked for better windows drivers! And 3.12 don't work on 64bit still!

dangertools
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like a generic response from there email system.
blaster999
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bet the answer was generated and sent by a script.
Dare I provide a small translation of the letter ATi has sent?
===================
ATi wrote:
Dear sender_name,

Another stupid customer!
ATi wrote:
Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Care.

Go to hell with your problems! We don't care.
ATi wrote:
We apologize for the unusual delay in processing your email request

We were too lazy to read your fscking email and our server went down cause someone from our personnel wanted to view some necrozoopedophilic pr0n and got a virus.
ATi wrote:
Before continuing with advanced troubleshooting with your current installed configuration, we ask that you try this new driver in the hopes that it will correct the issues you experience blah blah blah

We do not care what problems do you have or what system are you running, and our script isn't smart enough to grep your email text for keywords like "linux". These are generic instructions, and, yes, we really think you are stupid and can't read the readme.txt which comes with our brilliant drivers.
ATi wrote:
We appreciate your cooperation
Thanks for not killing us for our poor tech support.
===================
If ATi doesn't care, why should we sponsor it? Let's buy NVidia! And, just to mention, ATi drivers suck with xorg 6.8.0 :( I had 4 or 5 hangups today :(
Some multimedia keys refuse to work? See my mini-howto:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1896734#1896734
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangertools:

Send them an email back referencing that number they gave just like this email says.

Say something like :: For some reason I couldn't get the WINDOWS drivers to load on my LINUX machine. The .exe just wouldn't execute. And then go into the spill on how DirectX9 isn't combiatable with the X11 standard :P
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most effective thing to do is sit down and write a letter every week and send it to them. Dont stop flooding their offices with letters.

Take a bit of time and rewrite it every week, dont use the same generic letter. Be polite and dont threaten them with leaving dumping ATI in favour of Nvidia but point out that Nvidia supports this feature, has this driver and this utility. If you are going to use english, make sure you use proper english, no typos and concise wording.

Flooding their offices repeatedly with mail every week will make them perk up their ears faster then some online petition. Hard mail is always better then digital and leaving a paper trail is a must when dealing with communication in this manner.

Any of you seen The Shawshank Redemption? Same deal...and it does work, just keep flooding but dont attack them like in the online petition, just keep asking them nicely but firmly...

It only costs me $4 a month to send them all and I think thats worth it...dont think with your heart, think with your head :)
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time they were a bit faster but it is null saying.
Here my mail i returned this noon:

Quote:
I don't know what ATI thinks i should do with Windows Catalyst Drivers on my 64bit Linux but the question was regarding an amd64 based system with a 64bit LINUX system on it. How get support requests sorted at ATI? grep driver on it and it has to be a windows question? This is wrong though there are more Windows than Linux users out there but the market is growing. So please support me if i have a question and do it good. I have two computers. One which has a Nvidia GF4200Ti and one which has a radeon 9600 mobile. Both run Linux, I don't use Windows since a few years now. So what do you think which card runs better? I think i said that already in my original support request but i will tell it again. The Nvidia runs on a 32bit gentoo and gets with glxgears about 5500 fps, the radeon 9600 mobile ran on a 32bit gentoo and got after a lot of work just about 2000fps, now it runs on a native 64bit system with the built in radeon driver from X.org and it runs at 200fps. I think that your drivers have to get much better that I will buy something from ATI ever again. I know that there is a new release out (No, not the catalyst 4.9! it's for windows), but version 3.12 still doesn't run on 64bit and hardlocks some X.org 6.8 systems. And not even your drivers have to get much better, I think your support lags a bit too. This is not only my opinion, there are about 16000 other people which say the same. Look here: http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html . Though i think you already mentioned that the petition is there because the release cycle of the driver got shorter but did they already get better, faster, easier to install or do they run on 64bit? No!

It could had happen that i have attacked them, perhaps ;)

And here the returned mail:

Quote:
Dear Georg Schild,

Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Care Canada.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your email has been assigned:
TicketGUID:{4C4AE009-AD42-4DAE-88B7-450062A1210D}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence
relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear
in the message body, not in the subject line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the issue of I own an amd64 powered laptop from acer with a built in ati radeon 9600 mobile graphics chip. i only use linux and for the amd64 only linux 64bit. but i am still waiting for drivers for this platform from ATI.

Unfortunately, Customer Service has no timeframe as to when updates will become available. You may check our web periodically for any update(d) information. Thank you for your time.

Any updates will appear on the ATI website when they become available.

Regards,

Shabu Nanji
Customer Care
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

Generated too?

dangertools
gentonix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try running the Catalyst installer with Wine... and send another support question about that not working. :roll:
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:). But this wouldn't work. I would need WineX because they say i need DX9 and normal wine doesn't have it. Would be funny though

dangertools
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal attacks, arrogant remarks and constant nagging arent going to get us drivers. These people who reply to these countless emails daily are probably sick of reading them.

You need to appeal to them as human beings and not condescending assholes. They are just people like you and me and if you want to get drivers sooner, be polite and be relentless. Get them on your side and if enough of them agree, then maybe they can use their power within the company to make changes...that is a better chance then you, an outsider, trying to change matters.

Licensing with Macrovision is probably one of the biggest things standing in the way so I am sure its not just because the company is being lazy or pompous...

The best thing is to send letters to higher officials and dont stop, not even if they reply with "We are looking into it". Show a constant effort and I am sure we will be rewarded...you reap what you sew.
Acoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first response today from ATI. The e-mail was the generic response. Everyone should listen to Lokheed's advice and send letters since these businesses know that a letter is worth a thousand e-mails, so send them to further the cause. If we annoy them with e-mails they might just ignore us.

I don't think that Lokheed's remarks were directly about the petition, but for all the people who believed the remarks were too forceful, please realize that they were only said to support the reasons why we are boycotting them. I never planned to insult them because they do make quality products, but to inform them if they don't release the tools we need to run their products in the operating system that we use, then we won't be buying from them.

And congrats it hit 16,000.

John

Last edited by Acoc on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheesepie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Cheesepie on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acoc wrote:
I don't think that Lokheed's remarks were directly about the petition, but for all the people who believed the remarks were too forceful, please realize that they were only said to support the reasons why we are boycotting them. I never planned to insult them because they do make quality products, but to inform them if they don't release the tools we need to run their products in the operating system that we use, then we won't be buying from them.

John

They do make good products. I am very happy with my card and for the price its features are top notch. On Windows, the TV was truely flawless and I have seen TV out on Nvidia which was negligible. If they just had the support for Linux. Its a hard pill to swallow that in this day and age, you cannot get features of your hardware to function considering that these cards do not come cheap.

It is a frustrating matter and easy to get mad about but getting mad never solved any problems, it just makes things worse. The biggest thing we need is to keep communicative lines open. Once communication breaks down, you are SOL.

The online petition is not entirely worded the best way it can be and is overly forcefull and somewhat antagonising but if it makes things happen then I am all for it.

Just pease think how much good you are going to do firing off that sarcastic response or that slanderous email...Acoc is right, a concise letter will have the effect of a thousand emails...emails are often overlooked, they do not have the same impact. Send two letters, one to the tech and one to his boss...always send two as they often get passed down...
dangertools
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like something happens on the driver page. There are lots more cards now when choosing Linux, IGP support, X800 AGP xupport, Lots of firegl products etc. Looks like they have partially heard the rumors in the community :) though all the drivers are 32bit yet. But this is a good sign from ATI that the release cycles get shorter and a lot more products work now. In the release notes i found somewhere it is also mentionend that modile chips work now even the Link on the driver page for Linux --> mobile says still that it is not supported.

Looks like they care about us (partially)

Georg Schild
poormanscomputer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really working!
They've update their drivers again!

Anyone with an ATI card, check this out. They even support mobile gpu's now.

From the rage3d forums:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33780469

Quote:

Windows: 30,618 fps
Linux (3.9.0): 16,353 fps
Linux (3.11.1): 19,481 fps
Linux (3.12.0): 18,016 fps

At least they are trying...

Course, I bought my 6800 already. :P

poorman

[edit]
link removed. I'm just lazy to do a proper link. :lol:

Last edited by poormanscomputer on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, how could I have missed this? Been running Windows for almost a year now on my primary desktop because of the poor ATi support. 8O
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sucks that Radeon is spelled as Raedon in the petition!!!!!!!!
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poormanscomputer: Could you please shorten your link to ati.com? It borks up the whole page at 1024x768...

http://tinyurl.com/62mmx points to that link of yours
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBCode is good too: ATi Driver Page. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: