sgi octane kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj604
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: sgi octane kernel Reply with quote

Ok- i noticed Kumba has an experimental ip30 kernel out somewhere, but then there's also the kernel here: http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/

which looks pretty advanced- which one is the better one to try out on my r10k octane? any pointers before i start?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on Stan's site (the URL you refer to in your starting post) is the latest. I'm getting my own Octane soon, and assuming UPS hasn't beat the smeg out of it, I plan on experimenting with mergining Octane support into mips-sources, possibly via a local USE flag due to the size of the patches.

At the rate Stan's adding support for Octane, it could be one of the best-supported platforms in due time, but we'll have to see. Alot of his code is unique for Octane support, and may take some time before getting merged into linux-mips CVS.

--Kumba
dj604
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok- once I get a bootable system on my octane, what can I do to help get gentoo ported to it?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basics is really to just test apps on it, see what works and doesn't. The hardest part of supporting a new SGI machine is the kernel. After that, userland is generally easier, although the vast differences between each machine (each literally classifies as it's own arch in some cases) can sometimes introduce interesting bugs.

I'll have to see what I can do with my system when it arrives and I can set it up w/ a disk and all. That'll determine how easy/difficult these machines will be.

If you really would like to get involved though, you might wanna join the #gentoo-mips IRC channel on irc.freenode.net. That's where the bulk of any discussion on support of these machines (and Origin) occurs, and where we'll hash out any issues that arise.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: