Grub wont boot?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Grub wont boot? Reply with quote

Well Im almost there. I completed the installation but when my machine boots up gentoo wont load. It just flashes "GRUB loading stage1.5" on the screen real quick then causes the machine to reboot.Ive gone into my menu.lst file a bunch of times now and tried naming the drive a bunch of combinations but no luck. How do i find out what grub is looking for?

This is on a abit vp6 and the HD is attached to one of the HPT370 ports.
Could this be the problem? Ive got it attached to the port but its not in a raid configuration with another drive. Do I still need to go through hardware raid procedure decribed in the instructions? I just followed the regular procedure and the grub install part had no problem finding it and didnt give me any errors.But if this is the wrong way could someone let me know?
evert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Manual boot Reply with quote

I am assuming that grub gives you a command line where you can still enter stuff. Try putting in the same commands that you put into the menu.lst file. ( By the way, grub seems to have moved over to the grub.conf file for configs) Hunt around a bit untill you find where your kernel is hiding. you will *know* when you found it, as the reply from grub will be slightly different. the just type boot... after your system boots, just go modify your grub.conf file to the correct parameters that you discovered while poking around on the disks...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Why is my computer rebooting immediately on startup? relevant?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: