write permission on a fat32 drive?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commonrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: write permission on a fat32 drive? Reply with quote

I have a disk i use for storage with a fat32 partition, mounted in /mnt/storage.
How do i change the permission on that disk for a single user so the user can write to the disk??
paulsh21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll need something like:

/dev/hda1 /win vfat noatime,defaults,umask=0 0 0

i think the umask=0 part is what enables write access.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having a similar problem. my windows partitions have all my school work and other important files, and i have two choices. either find a way to mount vfat, or move the files to my debian server, and use samba (which i finally figured out) to use them. the only problem, i believe gentoo killed windows on my computer (or it may have been grub, i'm not sure). so, to do the second option, i'd need to reinstall windows today, and i don't feel like that (yeah, it's a whole hour of work, but i'm lazy). so that leaves me to mounting a vfat partition.

i have windows on a 40 gig drive, in three partitions (dev/hdb1-3). i believe the 'D:' and 'E:' (or dev/hdb2 & dev/hdb3) are logical partitions, although i'm not quite sure, because my dad set that up a while ago (before i knew what i was doing), and since it worked, i never touched it. when i try to mount /dev/hdb2 i get this...

Code:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb2 /mnt/d
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,
       or too many mounted file systems

and when i try to mount /dev/hdb3 this...

Code:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb3 /mnt/e
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb3,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)

i just remembered that my 'C:' (dev/hdb1) is NTFS, so i can't mount that, but i don't need to mount it in any case, as i never put important stuff with the windows stuff (bad things happen, I'll leave it at that).

So that leaves me with a few questions. Do i need to have only primary partitions for linux to read, and what must be compiled in the kernel. i'm pretty sure i got everything that said vfat, but i'd just like to know for sure what must be compiled. hopefully this will be easier than my samba problems (since figured out)...
Lion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: write permission on a fat32 drive? Reply with quote

commonrider wrote:
I have a disk i use for storage with a fat32 partition, mounted in /mnt/storage.
How do i change the permission on that disk for a single user so the user can write to the disk??

The point here is that vfat does not have the concept of owner of a file. Therefore, when mounting a vfat partition, the owner and group for all files on the partition are the same, and, when nothing else is specified, set to root. This prevents other users from writing to the partition.

When setting the umask, as a previous post suggested, you are giving the privileges to everyone, even nobody! Usually, this is not what you want.

Instead, use the uid=tom,gid=users in the options.
This will set ownership of all files to user tom in group users.
commonrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Lion for the answer,
uid and gid looks like it will help my problem
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you reinstall windows you can check if it's necsasiry, if your using win 9x put in your boot disk and run c:/windows/win.com, and see if windows boots, if you have windows 2000 or xp go into the recovery console and type "fixmbr" that will put your boot record to how it was before you installed grub. you will need to install grub again after this.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were to remove the linux drive (they're on two seperate drives) and then tried to fix windows, would i get around having to reinstall grub? also, if i'm going to continue to use windows, it's about the time where i would reinstall it anyways (you know what happens after about 6 months). it used to be quite snappy, but over time it's grown slower and slower, and a windows installation will make me happy, because i know all the answers (unlike installing gentoo :D).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: