Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Distro Watch -- Why Is Gentoo Declining?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Well, whatever the technicalities, when it comes to distrowatch the answer is a simple:

Who cares?

Gentoo users don't distro-hop, because once you've experienced Gentoo properly, nothing else will do.

So true. I used to help people on other Linux forums, but most of their questions I cannot answer any more, my Debian days ended in 2004 when I installed Gentoo. I know how things work underneath, but have little to no knowledge how it is done using Debian or RH tools.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Well, whatever the technicalities, when it comes to distrowatch the answer is a simple:

Who cares?

Gentoo users don't distro-hop, because once you've experienced Gentoo properly, nothing else will do.

It depends if it significantly affects the chance of someone not currently using Gentoo finding Gentoo ... distrowatch may not help you much if you already use Gentoo, but it is one of a number of places to find Gentoo if you are not currently a Gentoo user.

I found out about Gentoo when using linuxforums, I can't remember if I visited distrowatch before or after trying Gentoo ... if I visited distro watch before and Gentoo was not listed on the top 100 distro list I may have more likely to continued looking for something else.

World domination is not the aim ... but it would be nice to think that someone like existing users would find Gentoo and try it ;)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
distrowatch may not help you much if you already use Gentoo, but it is one of a number of places to find Gentoo if you are not currently a Gentoo user.

I learned about Gentoo from some joke on Echelon.
It was something like "Let's install Gentoo everywhere. Make it popular to make it obvious it's the best. At some point it would be the natural pick for Echelon, and it will waste all it's CPU power compiling itself". Too bad I didn't get the joke at that time.

Well, actually I like the one about central heating powered by Gentoo more.
Anyway, the point is basically every Linux user stumbles about the name here and there. And since it's unique, (like really unique, not just the same stuff with different logo), it makes some people curious.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
So, in short, Gentoo does not have users, it has junkies?
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
steveL wrote:

More like addicts. ROFL

:D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I try out a different distro it doesn't take too long until I find too many oddities that feel ... disgusting... to remind me why I keep gentoo on all relevant machines.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/615/966/07f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qgLh1fT.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/302/542/281.jpg
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

desultory wrote:

Lol, no; more what Yamakuzure said: ;)
Yamakuzure wrote:
Whenever I try out a different distro it doesn't take too long until I find too many oddities that feel ... disgusting... to remind me why I keep gentoo on all relevant machines.

As for "debian and redhat tools", debian used to be quite sane, but in any event it's the upstream software that is of interest, and there Gentoo shines, since it's usually as close-to-vanilla as possible.

This means your knowledge is applicable cross-distro, and further that upstreams tend to like you more, precisely because you're using their configs, slightly-edited as any direct user might; as well as the fact that you're happy to recompile from their newer version, rather than expecting them to support some version from 5 years ago, just because your crappy bindist cba to get a move on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: