Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Distro Watch -- Why Is Gentoo Declining?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20040823#feedback

We are being watched!

I'm also a fan of distrowatch (it was basically the start of my linux experience - when I was interested in trying linux and had no idea which distro to choose (or that there even were different distros), someone sent me there), it's a fairly good source of information for what new releases of packages and distros there are, and it's nice to see how up-to-date different distros are (shame they still have apache2 listed as 2.0.49 for gentoo ~x86, but the tables there are still fairly accurate I think)
gentooitanewbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of post to say: "no, it's just that Distrowatch doesn't really measure how a distro is spread". Ok, that's true.

But next step is to watch what are the current defects of gentoo...
I've try to install 2004.1 before (I gave up after a couple of bugs reported in the forum, i.e. the net card detection), and 2004.0 after... all the evenings for a week spent to do so, without any results, before to go back to debian.
Ok, I'm a newbie and maybe gentoo is not for me, but I install Mandrake, Knoppix, Debian and Fedora on my laptop without any serious problem...

Now I'm waiting that Vidalinux get a little more stable before to try again to approach gentoo...

Bye
Alberto
nekonoko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not heard of Distrowatch before now :) Certainly I'd more inclined to judge Gentoo's popularity based on these forums than a random website that not everyone even visits.

Last edited by nekonoko on Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rotonen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the best way of measuring Gentoo getting more or less popular be the amount of Portage tree syncs per day..? :)
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was used it might encourage people to emerge sync more often, and doesn't take into account those people using gentoo offline, or who don't update their system, though yes, more syncs means more users, but it doesn't tell the whole story (relative popularity compared to other distros, proportion of "offline users", though I suppose than when it comes to distros for people without an internet connection gentoo probably does poorly)

But I don't suppose that any method of determining something's popularity is perfect, different things show different things (duh), distrowatch shows how much interest there is in a distro, rather than how many users it has (but there are people like me who check the gentoo page everyday to see how up to date all the packages are who screw things up)
Sergio1704
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobo_Louie wrote:
Frankly, I love distrowatch. It has lots of daily news on distro releases and lets me know how the other linux guys are doing. Because of DW, I tried Debian even though I was perfectly happy with RedHat. I then became intrigued with Gentoo and portage, so I read a few DW reviews and tried Gentoo. Unfortunately, after I successfully installed Gentoo, I managed to Kerry (read: hose) the installation and didn't want to spend the time fixing/reinstalling it.

Because of DW, I tried Jollix and then Vidalinux as a crutch to get back to a Gentoo installation. I really liked the looks of Jollix, but didn't think the english installation manual was all that good (their German manual has about 3x more pages). Vidalinux does it for me, and it only took about 2 hours. Vida's 1st beta was rough, but the 2nd is *much* better. Things will only get better with beta 3.

You have got a very good point there: Jollix, Vidalinux, Navyn OS could give Gentoo an injection of new popularity.
It is like Debian: had it not been for the hundreds of derivatives, I do not think it would be as popular as it is now.
snowbum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distrowatch.com hit ranking is no indicator of how many pages gentoo.org actualy gets. I used to check distrowatch.com every other day to see what the latest was in my search for the perfect distro. Then I buckled down and tried gentoo. I hardly ever visit distrowatch.com anymore because I have the latest and best distro for my needs. Gentoo has truly been a godsend. I no longer yearn for a new release only to find more bugs. Now I am pleasently surprised evertime I find updates of my favorite packages that actualy work well.
Lobo_Louie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbum wrote:
...Now I am pleasently surprised evertime I find updates of my favorite packages that actualy work well.

Are you sure you meant to write that? I *always* expect my emerges to work without hitches.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotonen wrote:
Wouldn't the best way of measuring Gentoo getting more or less popular be the amount of Portage tree syncs per day..? :)

No, that would be measuring the addiction-coefficient of the Gentoo users :wink:
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobo_Louie wrote:
snowbum wrote:
...Now I am pleasently surprised evertime I find updates of my favorite packages that actualy work well.

Are you sure you meant to write that? I *always* expect my emerges to work without hitches.

I think he meant in contrast to RPM.
snowbum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobo_Louie wrote:
snowbum wrote:

Yes, I meant to write that because I live on the edge with many packages, the unstable edge, and sometimes things are unstable and I must revert to the previous version. Most of the time emerges are fine. However the packages themselves do sometimes contain new bugs in the update. This is way off topic. We are discussing Gentoo popularity and distrowatch.com stats, no?
ChrisWhite
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to be manning the Gentoo booth at the time of LWE, and I'd have to say that hype was definately there. It was sort of a nice pat on the back when people came up to you with "You guys do an awesome job!" and having a fairly well trafficed booth for that matter :).

I do think Gentoo is growing, but the "overall hype" is down I think. But as far as the general userbase is concerned, they're definately there and are bringing others to Gentoo. I can tell this by nice stream of user ebuild submissions, forum posts, bug reports, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
r0nin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

I am in the IT field and at my company I support windows more than I do unix. We have an AIX machine in the data center and the only thing I know how to do with it is switching out backup tapes and logging into it to see if they ran.

So I started installing a few linux distro's and installed fedora core 2, SUSE, and mandrake last week. As you can see they are currently in the top 5 in popularity. Now being new to linux I wanted something easy to install hence the SUSE, mandrake, etc. I thought to myself once I get this installed, I will really get to know linux and understand how it all works.

Wrong!!! I got bored with each distro, it all looks and feels like windows. It was way to easy to install pretty much next, next, next and finish. I remember coming across a post in linuxiso.org trying to figure out how to burn an ISO to cd and I remember seeing someone posting that they love using gentoo. So I thought what the hell I'll give it a shot. So I loaded it. It is intimidating having to manually do everything yourself and reading documentation on doing the install. But that's the best part and I feel like I am actually learning something now.

Bottomline, i'm ecstatic with gentoo and this is the first distro I tried that really has me wanting to learn more about linux and I am switching over to linux at home. Gentoo has great forums, plenty of documentation and a great community.

Well i'm off to install xorg and try to get a graphical desktop environment to run on my box.
Registered linux user #366586

--New California Gentoo Linux User Group site up (CAGLUG)
G.N.A.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on..according to that, Mandrake is first.

I left Mandrake to come to Gentoo. There is NO comparision between the two.
You need help for Mandrake.. Good luck..
You want to try and fix a problem with Mandrake.. Good luck..
You want to get off their updates email list.. Good luck.

GNA
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metal leper wrote:
http://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20040823#feedback

We are being watched!

I'm also a fan of distrowatch (it was basically the start of my linux experience - when I was interested in trying linux and had no idea which distro to choose (or that there even were different distros), someone sent me there), it's a fairly good source of information for what new releases of packages and distros there are, and it's nice to see how up-to-date different distros are (shame they still have apache2 listed as 2.0.49 for gentoo ~x86, but the tables there are still fairly accurate I think)

Wow! I had no idea this thread would get attention there. Like you, I check Distrowatch out every now and then just to see what's new and started this thread simply because I was surprised to see the drop. Many people posted some really good thoughts on possible reasons, particularly those about Distrowatch being a resource primarly for those shopping for their first Linux.
Corhonio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a recent ./ poll http://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=1135&aid=-1 gentoo came a close second behind debian for whatever that means hehe
PseudoKrazy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what most of my friends use, and what I see being used in companies, buisinesses, etc, it seems that Gentoo is barely ever used. Most of the linux users I know outside of the gentoo community would have "heard some buzz about gentoo" and whatnot, but have been disinclined to install it because of the standard factors: no installer, source based, etc.

Also, several linux users I know would like to install gentoo, but simply cannot due to the fact that their systems would take ages to compile things such as Open office and KDE; and would not be able to update their portage tree very often due to slow connections.

The distrowatch statistics is all about what distro is popular, and by the looks of it, LiveCD distros such as Knoppix are currently "the buzz".
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me,

distro good or bad is not counted by popularity

bad stuff can be popular while good stuff could be silent
just as long as good people know good stuff
and bad people know bad stuff

:roll:
PseudoKrazy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeymak wrote:
for me,

distro good or bad is not counted by popularity

bad stuff can be popular while good stuff could be silent
just as long as good people know good stuff
and bad people know bad stuff

:roll:

Congradulations, My brow is now most deeply furrowed... That was very confusing 8O.
Heh, but seriosly, I sort of see what your saying, and totally agree. Look at linux for example: Good shit, but not that popular.
mrness
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we are trying to achieve here? Popularity? bah...
I hope you guys realise that the vast majority of computer users are fitting well to "Joe Six-Pack" description. This is why a toy OS such as Windows has a huge popularity.
As much as I love Gentoo, I cannot imagine a world in which popularity of Gentoo will be greater than popularity of RH/Suse/Mandrake, nor do I want it.

Let's all improve our lives by making our distro of choice even better through contributing in all well-known forms.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.N.A. wrote:
Come on..according to that, Mandrake is first.

I left Mandrake to come to Gentoo. There is NO comparision between the two.
You need help for Mandrake.. Good luck..
You want to try and fix a problem with Mandrake.. Good luck..
You want to get off their updates email list.. Good luck.

GNA

Yup. That is a accurate description.

You mean there is a distrowatch? Let me go see. Darn, there is a distro watch site. I selected Gentoo, just to make you happy. 8O

I'm with the guy that said once you install Gentoo, you stop looking for distros. Once you switch, why are you looking at anything else. You have the best already. :roll:

Later

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distro Watch -- Why Is Gentoo Declining? Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
I have my own theories (binary package integration, portage dictating downgrades and other similar changes), but I'd like to here from others why they think what was the best sourced based hacker friendly Linux distribution has been on a steady decline in popularity?

becuase the install way of gentoo is real crap

with real crap I mean real crap
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if by real crap you mean the best way :twisted:

I'm sure that with the release of 2004.3 more people will start looking at Gentoo on distrowatch again, because releases generate interest (from people wanting the latest and greatest), and it also provides visibility on distrowatch.com (and else where)
Sicario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Gentoo isn't declining Reply with quote

The list doesn't matter, Do you remember when Yopper was in the top of the list?. Can anyone say me that Yopper was more popular that the others? hehehehehe.
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, forget Gentoo declining, look at the distrowatch.com page now, hardly anything is on the up!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: