Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Strange GRUB behavior
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Strange GRUB behavior Reply with quote

Hi folks!

Currently I have a Gentoo 1.1a system with KDE 3.0 up and running. There ist just one thing that I haven't figured out yet. I already searched the forum, but it seems that nobody else has the same problem.

I use GRUB as boot manager. As long as I wait until the timer runs out, my system will boot properly. When I do press enter to shorten the selection, Grub comes up with the hd info he is booting and then the kernel quits with an CRC error in the very beginning. I can do repeat this behavior with any other selection from the menu. If I do nothing the kernel will boot properly again.

I know there is a way to move around this by setting the timeout to 5 or less, so I won't have to wait that long, but I'm just curious whether this may be a bug or not....

FYI: the boot dir is on /dev/hdb1, root on /dev/hdb3
hda is just a cdrom, so GRUB is configured to boot hd(0,0)

Any ideas?
jay
steveD

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see problems:
If GRUB is installed on the MBR, it should be (hd0), not (hd0,0).
If your boot partion is /dev/hdb1, the grub install should be like:
grub
>root (hd1,0)
>setup (hd0)
>quit
jayy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick reply.

Of course GRUB was installed in the MBR (hd0) - otherwise it had not appeared during my boot-up. Sorry for confusing you in this matter. Using (hd1,0) is not correct because hda is a cdrom and therefore ignored by GRUB.

Anyway my problem seems to be fixed now. I should have run GRUB again after compiling a new kernel and changing some settings in the menu.lst file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: