I broke my gcc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmmacleo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: I broke my gcc Reply with quote

I would consider myself an intermediate user, but there's still a few things I need to learn. For this reason, and to make a long story short, I currently do not have a compiler. If you could imagine a working setup without a compiler, what advice would you give this poor soul to get it reinstalled? Here's what I've tried so far...

1) I tried an rpm, but that doesn't work... too many dependencies needed (do I need to find those?)

2) I installed gentoo within a temporary directory, chrooted it and built gcc. I then copied everything over to my / directory in the respective places, but no go.

I REALLY need some help with this, I feel naked having linux and no compiler. I'd appreciate any feedback.

-Tom
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a portage rescue tarball on the boot CD I believe, or downloadable from here somewhere.... I wish i could give you more details but i've never had to use it... If you search the forums for "unmerge python" I'm sure you'll come across the solution. (assuming that the rescue tarball can restore a compiler. :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the portage rescue tarball won't work. Boot from the install disk. Mount your filesystems somewhere as if you were going to reinstall, but do not chroot yet. Look in /var/db/pkg/sys-devel/gcc-[version] for a CONTENTS file. If the version of gcc on the CD you are booting from is different from the one you used to have, you may have to extract this CONTENTS file from the stage tarball instead, in which case booting from the install disk is not really necessary.
Code:
# cat CONTENTS | perl -ne 'split; print ".$_[1]\n" unless -d $_[1]' > /mnt/gentoo/tmp/gccfiles
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# tar xvjf stage.tbz2 -T /tmp/gccfiles

At this point you should have a working compiler. I would "emerge gcc" at your earliest convenience, to get things nice and clean again. Hope this works for you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: