[solved]another bind question - increasing transfer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qubax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: [solved]another bind question - increasing transfer Reply with quote

just emerged bind, started the init script -> no errors :)
deleted my nameserver from the /etc/resolve.conf file an tried to get into the internet -> everything works :)
so where does bind get the ips, cause i gave him no other dns ip to get the ip's - or am i misunderstanding something
i'm trying bind, cause i want to increase the possible transferspeed of my dial 56k connection, so i hope transfer does increase -> is this a good way for that? other solutions ?

(the questions are not quite the same, but they stick together somehow)

Last edited by Qubax on Mon May 12, 2003 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't configured it to do otherwise (ie, to use local nameservers) it would be querying the DNS master servers of the internet for each name...

Here is part of my named.conf file. This causes all DNS queries initially to go to my ISP's DNS servers...

Code:
forward first;
forwarders {
     209.244.0.3;
     209.244.0.4;
}

My /etc/resolv.conf file contains nameserver 127.0.0.1, to use the local bind nameserver as opposed to the ISP's nameservers directly. This just lets the nameserver cache DNS entries. It doesn't result in a super speed up, but it should help a bit. Look into installing squid for more speed.

Note: If you haven't changed your resolv.conf to point to your local box then you aren't even using your shiney new nameserver for lookups.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: