Extra Computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
val
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Extra Computer Reply with quote

So, I recently got a laptop but I'm not getting rid of my desktop. It probably won't sell for anything, so I'd rather keep it. Many of you have more than one computer in your home, what do you do with them?

Mine is still running Fedora 1 and Windows ME. I'm thinking of wiping it all out and installing gentoo. I could network the two computers and print from the laptop over the network. The old computer also has way better speakers of it's own, as well as being connected to my stereo receiver in the living room, so I'd like to use it for music. I'm still looking for other ideas though. These are the specs:

PIII 550MHz
384 M ram
20 GB harddrive
CDRW (new, I added this only a few months ago)
15" LCD monitor.

Thanks for reading!
gpmartinson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Hey! Hook it to your stereo! Reply with quote

Can you say icecast server! Printer server...firewall. I have a P1 with 40MB of RAM and a 10 gb hdd. Used it as a print server and a music server with wireless. Take a look at Linux Toys http://www.linuxtoys.net/news.php
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a HTPC. It probably won't be powerfull enough to be able to use a TV card to record anything, but you'll be able to run some console emulators (if you are into gaming) and a video/music player.

I don't think a firewall is a good deal, because you'd have to create a network to protect with the firewall, and a firewall for a single computer is very light on the CPU.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernandotcl wrote:
You can make a HTPC. It probably won't be powerfull enough to be able to use a TV card to record anything, but you'll be able to run some console emulators (if you are into gaming) and a video/music player.

I don't think a firewall is a good deal, because you'd have to create a network to protect with the firewall, and a firewall for a single computer is very light on the CPU.

some tv tuners do the encoding and decoding in hardware, so the CPU load is very light
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Presidente_Pufferfish wrote:
some tv tuners do the encoding and decoding in hardware, so the CPU load is very light

The last time I read an article about it, it was said that the NVIDIA cards could do encoding via hardware, but only MPEG-2, that requires 19GB/hour. MPEG-4 requires much less, 3GB/hour if I recall correctly.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernandotcl wrote:
El_Presidente_Pufferfish wrote:

The last time I read an article about it, it was said that the NVIDIA cards could do encoding via hardware, but only MPEG-2, that requires 19GB/hour. MPEG-4 requires much less, 3GB/hour if I recall correctly.

*shrugs* depends on the bitrate i suppose
hauppauge pvr-250 cards encode hardware mpeg2, and the bitrate is variable
right now i have it set to about 2GB / hour
Watchoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Extra Computer Reply with quote

val wrote:
PIII 550MHz
384 M ram
20 GB harddrive
CDRW (new, I added this only a few months ago)
15" LCD monitor.

This looks like a real nice workstation ... For text editing, web browsing, music, and maybe some video (depends on the graphics card ... ).

Put a nice gentoo on it and just use it at home ... there is no need to use a notebook at home (it is much more comfortable to use a desktop at home IMHO) ... at least the batteries will "live" longer ... 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: