View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Fluxbox task bar Reply with quote

I haev STFW and RTFM but to no avail so hopefully someone here can help me.

In Fluxbox is there a way to get the 'taskbar' to have show all the apps you have open at one particular time with each one taking up a equal amount of space ala windows task bar? At the moment whatever has focus on the desktop takes up the whole task bar and you have to switch by alt+tab, the arrows or by the middle click menu.

DMK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: fluxbox taskbar? Reply with quote

im new to fluxbox too, but i dont think there is something like a taskbar...
(perhaps you could start the kde-taskbar)
but you can drag the tabs into groups with your middlemousebutton.. (click with center-mousebutton on the tab and drag it onto another tab)

then you have there a tab-group which is very useful...

DMK
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am relitively new to fluxbox as well, but I'm pretty sure that functionality is not built into fluxbox. I'm thinking about messing with the code and adding a few things like that. When/If I get around to it I'll post a patch.

Did you know that if you minimize the windows they appear in the taskbar as you describe? I just wish they were all automatically done that way. It just makes it easier to get the overlapped windows.

timmfin
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the entire *box wm collection behaves as you describe (i.e. NOT ala windows). Now, it's only a personal opinion, but I was always annoyed by the non-functionality of the windows taskbar (I tend to load tons of windows so that the respective fields end up so small you can't read the name).
As a matter of fact, I think the *boxes provide a much better method to "jump to" a desired app: Click the middle-button in a free desktop area; the "workspaces" menu pops-up and there you can view all apps for every workspace plus the iconified ones. Along with the bbkeys sequencies to move around in my desktop, I rarely even notice the toolbar at all (mostly just when I have to take a look at the time...).
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought, I'll try using the middle mouse menu for a while and see if I like that better.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a configurable toolbar in planning for fluxbox. You can get more details on their website. I don't particularly like most toolbars, but if it could be properly configured it might be able to serve the purpose you are talking about. Although, this is just speculation. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: