Kernel 2.6.8-r1 and CDRW issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chebe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Kernel 2.6.8-r1 and CDRW issue Reply with quote

A very weird thing and very anoying is happening here.
I've upgraded my workstation kernel from 2.6.7-r13 to 2.6.8-r1, using the same .config file, and now my LiteOn LTR-52327S is not seen as a CDRW any more but only a CD Reader. (Of course if I boot on the 2.6.7-r13, it's working like a charm).
I'm using k3b 0.11.14 (I've re-emerged it twice).

If someone could point me the way to find a solution ... please !
chebe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from www.k3b.org ....
Quote:
Do not use Kernel 2.6.8

A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version 2.6.7.

sorry ....
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure what kernel you are using.

You say you are on 2.6.8-r1, what is that? Is that a gentoo-sources kernel or something? The cd-recording bug came in 2.6.8-rc4.

Anyway, make sure you are using 2.6.8.1 as that fixes a major problem in the nfs department (if you don't use nfs then don't worry too much). Unless you meant 2.6.8.1 in your title. (Not being difficult but it is not clear what kernel you are actually on, and as can be seen, with all the different versions and rc's and extra .1's it does make a difference).

As said, your problem came in on kernel 2.6.8-rc4 and above, the code was changed to prevent a security lapse in the cdrecord process but it broke k3b and other recording progs.

K3b are, in fact, adjusting there code to fit the new kernel coding but in the meantime you could apply the fix I posted in the other thread titled '2.6.8 and cdrecord' HERE

HTH :D
Pax-UX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find the following interesting.

Link to KernalTrap wrote:
Kurt Garloff explained a bug in 2.6.8.1 [story] causing a memory leak when writing audio CDs:

"When using bounce buffers for SG_IO commands with unaligned buffers in blk_rq_map_user(), we should free the pages from blk_rq_unmap_user() which calls bio_uncopy_user() for the non-BIO_USER_MAPPED case. That function failed to free the pages for write requests."

Andrew Morton [interview] acknowledged the fix noting, "this really should trigger a 2.6.8.2. We'll see."
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, it seems cd writing is a bit borked on this one, luckily I don't do too much so It won't really affect me but I suspect the next rc (.x) will turn up soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: