View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Gimp 1.2.3 rc2 Stuffs My Desktop Install After Stage 3 Reply with quote

How many more times is an ebuild going to stuff a gentoo install. After 24 hrs constant downloading, compiling and very little sleep emerging KDE/base and Gnome my install gets stuffed by the Gimp 1.2.3rc2 ebuild, sometime in the early hours of this morning. Where do you go from here? Do I clear my cache and try emerging again? Look for yet another work around until the ebuild gets fixed?

After probably 3 months without a operational PC trying to get a Gentoo install working, I'm close to going back to a binary distro like Redhat and RedCarpet at least I can get something done.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to suggest anything without an error message.
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Its A Gimp Ebuild Problem. Stuff it Where's my Redhat CD Reply with quote

It's a Gimp Issue, it's going on elsewhere in the forum. What's the point in building from source if Gentoo's going to fall on it's arse every time someone f--cks an ebuild up.

The way I see it, the perceived benefits of building from source (I doubt I'd notice the difference in performance or greater config choice) just doesn't justify the immence amount of time wasted getting there.

Where's my RedHat CD, 7.2 that'll do. 1 hour to go and I've got a working desktop.

:evil:
olal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chech this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=114886#114886

.o
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gimp 1.2.3 rc2 Stuffs My Desktop Install After Stage 3 Reply with quote

chrisR wrote:
How many more times is an ebuild going to stuff a gentoo install.
How is an ebuild destroying an entire install? This seems like a post-install problem.
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider a working desktop ie KDE or Gnome, Fluxbox, an integral part of a basic workstation type gentoo Install, not post install, that'd be something like emerging some apps to use in a KDE or Gnome environment wouldn't it? But it's acedemic. The crux is that after getting so far into a KDE/base compile, like 24hrs in, it just unceromoniously kicks you out and stops. It's just an inconvienience, either trying to find a work around, searching the forum or other sites for a solution, because dependencies weren't sorted out or enough checking done before doing the ebuild. But then thats the nature of the beast. I'm out of my depth, so I'm out of here.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably whistling into the wind, because it doesn't sound like chrisR is coming back, but...

chrisR wrote:
I consider a working desktop ie KDE or Gnome, Fluxbox, an integral part of a basic workstation type gentoo Install, not post install

As it says in the description of the Installing Gentoo forum, this is for questions within the scope of the install guide. After you've finished the install guide, and are running from your custom kernel, and other emerges, such as Gimp and KDE, are causing you problems, those questions belong in Portage and Programming. We're trying to distribute the load.

Quote:
It's just an inconvienience, either trying to find a work around, searching the forum or other sites for a solution, because dependencies weren't sorted out or enough checking done before doing the ebuild.

I understand you're frustrated, but remember that people reading this thread don't have all the information you do. You say "It's a Gimp issue, it's going on elsewhere in the forums". Post a link, or post in a thread that describes your problem, or post your error messages here, or anything. There are lots of people here who are willing and able to help, but it really improves the process if you can try to meet us halfway.
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Cool, I take your points, it's not the place. No more.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still around, chrisR, the folks over in Emerging kdebase fails... may have solved your gimp problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: