Grub fails at every turn
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfeasel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Grub fails at every turn Reply with quote

Ok, after *twice* going through the whole installation process of 1.4rc1 (i386), I remain stuck with the most frustrating error. Grub will not boot for me, giving me back "Error 17". Some research reveals this error to mean that grub cannot read my boot partition for some reason. I can't imagine why it couldn't read it, though - I made my boot partition ext2 like it was suggested in the docs. I compiled ext3 and ext2 support in my kernel (my / is ext3). My /boot partition has just a grub folder and bzImage - do I need System.map or something else in there?

I did pretty much everything exactly as the installation procedure recommends. The first time I installed my partitions starting at sector 1 though the last sector. This time I started at 27 to give the boot loader some room on the disk, but I guess that didn't matter. I've also tried lilo, and all I get is some freaky "99 99 99 99" (...) output then a hang. This is my first experience with Gentoo (although not by a long shot with Unix / Linux) and I would really like to try it out. At this point all I am is completely frustrated by it, though.

Thanks for any help,
Jake Feasel
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the make of your hard disk and your IDE controller chipset, and does GRUB complain when you're installing it or trying to boot from it? What software did you use to partition the disk?
jfeasel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard disk is just a normal, single western digital. I'm not sure how to tell what my IDE controller is - looked in the BIOS, and didn't see anything. Grub does not complain at all when I install it - just when I try to boot from it. I used both fdisk and cfdisk, without a difference.

I just noticed something a little strange - there is this message that pops up right before Grub loads:
Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... Disabled

Not sure what that's about. Didn't see anything about it in the BIOS settings.
jfeasel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! I fixed it! :D I went to my BIOS and changed my primary master settings to be all "AUTO" and when I rebooted - Aces! I finally have a login prompt! Hooray!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: