View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I ditched my XFS months ago because of these and similar Reply with quote

Here's how I got out... wrote:
Issues, issues. XFS sucks...

Anyhow, to get off of it, this is what I did.
I had a second hard drive, so I went:

login: root
password: *********

/root# cd /
# mke2fs -j /dev/hdc1 # make new ext3 partition on second hard drive
# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt # mount it
# find / -mount -print | cpio -pdm / # fine all files on your current partition and cpio them over.

The cpio part is important because you want to keep your permissions intact.. If you do a regular copy, be sure to use -Rfp flags to keep permissions intact.

Good luck!

I wouldn't say XFS sucks, but I did change my filesystem to ext3 and all is well now. But you could just as easily use ReiserFS or JFS for that matter, I will say while using XFS my emerge rsync went much faster as it must read small files faster than ext3.
smckown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Using XFS Reply with quote

If you want to use XFS with the latest gentoo kernel, just turn off preempt in the kernel and recompile. This is what I did. On my Transmeta crusoe sub-notebook I'm not sure the UI is any slower as a result.

For me ext3 is not a good choice. Ext3 looks at its on-disk transaction journal every 5 seconds. This read activity prevents the hard drive from ever spinning down and consuming unnecessary battery power. XFS will allow the drive to spin down if there isn't local I/O.
smckown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: CVS XFS will fix preempt_count problem Reply with quote

Just noticed on linux-xfs mailling list that XFS in their CVS repository works properly with the preemptible kernel patch and the lockbreak patch. It appears that interactive performance is much better. Check out the messages in this thread by going to http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&w=2&r=1&s=preempt_count&q=b

I expect a future release of gentoo-sources may include these fixes.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I ditched my XFS months ago because of these and similar Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
I wouldn't say XFS sucks, but I did change my filesystem to ext3 and all is well now. But you could just as easily use ReiserFS or JFS for that matter, I will say while using XFS my emerge rsync went much faster as it must read small files faster than ext3.

Try using Reiser, and look at your small file performance then. I like my ReiserFS. :D
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I ditched my XFS months ago because of these and similar Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
AutoBot wrote:

Try using Reiser, and look at your small file performance then. I like my ReiserFS. :D

Your correct, my next install I will give ReiserFS the full run-through and make my final decision on a filesystem for my gentoo workstation.

As it stands for me currently:

ext2: no journaling, no chance
ext3: nope, too slow
XFS: preempt is a must, needs work
ReiserFS: inconclusive
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: