Hush-PC, via, love-sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinnan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Hush-PC, via, love-sources Reply with quote

I'm a very sad love-sources user, I use "2.6.7-rc3-love2" and can't use the more recent "2.6.8-rc2-love3 "Rabid Orange Flamingo"" or even the pitifully outdated "2.6.8-rc2-love1 "Flashy Green Popsicle"" because they dropped the VIA stuff (glx and drm). I first started using love-sources because it was the only ready-made -sources which included these vital drivers. The base 2.6.8-rc2 does not, neither does -mm-anything.

Now I've got to add them myself, but am new at the magic of hunk-manipulation and patching. I also don't really know how to get the very latest via kernel patches.

The problem, of course, is that I've "fallen in love" with Nick Piggin's patch, for scheduling latency. It just works like magic on this quirky, slow VIA Nehemiah. For the first time, the mouse-pointer doesn't lurch around under load, music plays consistently without skipping, multiple CPU hogging tasks don't take turns doing that funky "scheduler-square-dance" so loved by all the other schedulers. It's a simpler scheduler well suited to this little desktop. It's gone through some updates, reflected in the latest love-sources, just out of reach! I also have a slight, illicit, but unrelenting desire to try some of the other love-ly features as well, such as vesa-tng or vesa-rr, fbsplash, and other fun stuff. I am considering also switching to ext3 because of all the recent latency work gone into it.

So what I'm saying is, I WANT IT ALL! I'M AN AMERICAN DAMMIT!

And I want it now.

HELP!

rinnan
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually looked but have you politely asked on the love-sources thread to have it included in the next release?

If not then why not? It'll probably get you further than this post.

Obviously, and I'm sure you would do this anyway, make sure you give the links to any patches you are politely requesting go into love-sources so they are there ready to be included.

I know it means doing something yourself, and as you say, being an American that may be painful, but you never know it might work 8O

PS In case you didn't know, love-sources also has an irc channel - #love-sources on freenode. You could also ask in there. There may be a reason they are not included. :D
rinnan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, of course I have already tried it myself and gotten several errors. Before I dumped them on the forum I just wanted to know if someone had done it already, or if they could guide me to some instruction. It seems that this kernel patching is very much "by the seat of your pants" kind of stuff which is a bit outside of the gentoo mainstream -- therefore I didn't find it likely that there would just be a thread on how to do it laying around. I'll ask on the channel to see if there's a reason they were removed.

Quote:
I know it means doing something yourself

What, are you trying to kill me? :P

UPDATE:
Talked to the guys in love-sources... It's a bit more complicated -- I have to use the love-sources version of the via-patch since it's apparently fairly heavily modified... I'll help them help me get it in there, if they want to, maybe they can post it as an add-in optional patch like the vesa.rrc patch..

EDIT1: Added corny joke EDIT2: update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: