nptl glibc and java - error loading shared libraries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: nptl glibc and java - error loading shared libraries Reply with quote

I was able to successfully emerge glibc-2.3.3.20040420 with USE="nptl":

Code:
$ /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
        NPTL 0.61 by Ulrich Drepper

However I am now unable to run our in-house Java application which uses one of those 'ZeroG' cross-platform installers:

Code:
$ p2
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The odd thing is, all of these programs (awk, ls, dirname, etc) run fine when I run them from my shell. Does anyone have any idea why this isn't working?

A basic 'hello world' program runs fine, so Java is working.

Do I have to reboot after emerging glibc with NPTL support?

EDIT: Well, reboot didn't fix it and evolution doesn't start now either - thousands of Gdk-CRITICAL errors about failed assertions and what-not. I think I'll go back to non-NPTL glibc.

Code:
Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog

EDIT2: Evolution is working again - I had to re-emerge pango-1.4.0. However my Java app is still not working.

EDIT3: I tried reinstalling our application using the ZeroG installer:

Code:
$ LAX_DEBUG="file" ./install_p2.bin
Preparing to install...
Checking for POSIX df.
Found POSIX df.
Checking tail options...
Using tail -n 1.
True location of the self extractor: /tmp/install_p2.bin
Creating installer data directory: /tmp/install.dir.21557
Creating installer data directory: /tmp/install.dir.21557/InstallerData
Gathering free-space information...
Space needed to complete the self-extraction: 218869 blocks
Available space: 102560592 blocks
Available blocks: 102560592    Needed blocks: 218869 (block = 512 bytes)
Computed number of blocks to extract: 1007
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Extracting JRE from ./install_p2.bin to /tmp/install.dir.21557/Linux/resource/jre_padded ...
Extracting done, exit code = 0
Extracting JRE from /tmp/install.dir.21557/Linux/resource/jre_padded to /tmp/install.dir.21557/Linux/resource/vm.tar.Z ...
Unpacking the JRE...
Unpacking the JRE...
gzip is /bin/gzip
 GZIP done.
 TAR done.
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Extracting install.zip from ./install_p2.bin to /tmp/install.dir.21557/InstallerData/installer.padded ...
Extracting to padded done, exit code = 0
Extracting from padded to zip done, exit code = 0
Creating disk1 data directory: /tmp/install.dir.21557/InstallerData/Disk1
Creating instdata data directory: /tmp/install.dir.21557/InstallerData/Disk1/InstData
Extracting resources from ./install_p2.bin to /tmp/install.dir.21557/InstallerData/Disk1/InstData/Resource1.zip ...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/install.dir.21557/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

These files definitely exist (they are mostly in /lib) and are readable.
loginx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem on many Java applications using the same type of configuration on 3 different boxes.

I tried with blackdown-jdk and Sun's JDK and JREs and nothing works...

I am also using Xorg-x11, which, from what I read after emerging a JRE, does not provide all of the dependencies that Sun's JRE could use.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not...
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZeroG installer installs it's own JRE that it uses to run the application. It was working fine before I installed the NPTL version of glibc, and now it's not. I'm going to go back to the libpthreads version and make sure it comes back to life. It's not actually Java that's broken - it's something else, but I can't figure out what...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: