Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gospleOfLinux wrote:
Rythmbox - no question. Works good. It's lean. Sure, not really very skinable, but heck, just minimize and move on...
Plus you can opt to keey it in the system tray or show it in "small view mode"...does wonders for taking back your screen real-estate...
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Multimedia.

Made Sticky.
tSp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one that I used to use way back when I used 'that other distro v5.2' was freeamp - it looked very much like winamp. Development either came to a crawl or it got too buggy and I switched to xmms like most others.......but then someone started working on freeamp again, except now it is called zinf due to some legal issues with the old name or something or another....either way, its very stable and does most of what everyone has been describing, plus its theme-able.

http://www.zinf.org/
http://www.maysville-linux-users-group.org
http://www.edwiget.name

Registered Linux User #162711
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used xmms since the day I started using linux. But today I switched to rhythmbox...and I love it. It's very gnome-like...simple and nice looking. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not support id3 tag editing which is a big downer...but hopefully that will come in a future release. :)

Also, I have always had problems with BMP. I tried it about a month ago and the CVS version would keep crashing. Oh well, I think I like rhythmbox better now anyway. :)
andrewski
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EasyTag is very great for ID3 tag editing; look no further.
Yes, I've had problems with beep-media-player too and am looking forward to resolving my GTK problems with rhythmbox; it seems great!
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewski wrote:
EasyTag is very great for ID3 tag editing; look no further.
Yes, I've had problems with beep-media-player too and am looking forward to resolving my GTK problems with rhythmbox; it seems great!

Easytag is nice, but it keeps crashing on me. Having an ID3 tag editor in rhythmbox will be really nice.
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georwell wrote:

In juk if I type outkast, it will select every song with outkast in title, filename, album, artist, etc.. and only play those songs. very nice when you want to listen to only outkast, then get tired of it and want to listen to only jazz, and so you just type jazz and boom only jazz is selected. :)

JuK is definately my 2nd choice as a media player, for the reason stated above: its search feature is abso-effing-lutely brilliant.

However, my first choice is definately mpd, along with phpmp. phpMp is actually a pretty damn good inerface, considering its web-based. The advantage of this is that you can use it in a console as well as under X. (Try using links -g http://localhost/phpmp/). Of course, it uses absolutely no resources, which is an important issue for me. Also, if you tell mpd to save its settings on shutdown, it will resume playback when you switch your computer on.

Tip: By default, phpmp shows song in the format "(artist) title", which I find annoying. If you want to change this, edit the config file (/var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpmp/config.php) and modify the $song_display_conf variable:
Code:
$song_display_conf = "artist - title";

I'm also trying gmpc, emerging now :)
Registered Linux User #363420

Last edited by bennettp on Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrewski
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaksaga wrote:
Easytag is nice, but it keeps crashing on me. Having an ID3 tag editor in rhythmbox will be really nice.

Well, I don't know about the status of editing in rhythmbox, but I would suggest that if the developers hold at all to the traditional Unix philosophy--"why code something that already exists"--you'd do well to find something else, as there are already very good alternatives.
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewski wrote:
blaksaga wrote:

Well, I don't know about the status of editing in rhythmbox, but I would suggest that if the developers hold at all to the traditional Unix philosophy--"why code something that already exists"--you'd do well to find something else, as there are already very good alternatives.

One of the beauties of open source is that anybody can add that functionality and submit it to the original branch. It has crossed my mind to start my own branch and add id3 tag editing...there is enough libraries around for such a thing that it shouldn't be too difficult. And anyway, according to what I've heard id3 tag editing is supposed to be coming in a future release anyway.
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently not aware of an mp3/ogg player that uses gstreamer for playback that is small interface-wise like maybe xmms. On my laptop, xmms sounds like crap (very staticy). Gstreamer apps like RB and Muine sound great, but I just want something like XMMS for playing one song at a time or something. I use Muine and RB when I listen to many songs for a long period of time, or for entire albums etc, but sometimes I want to choose a song from Nautilus and play only it.

GTK (read non-Qt/KDE) is a must as well. If one doesn't exist, this may sound like an interesting way for me to play with gtk#! If one does exist, I don't want to waste effort.

Cheers,
~djc

My other computer is your Windows box.
andrewski
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always figure out why XMMS (which output are you using?) sounds bad.
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewski wrote:
You could always figure out why XMMS (which output are you using?) sounds bad.

heh.. I suppose that is an option. Admittedly I know little about XMMS, so that may be a good place to start.

Alternatively, just a minute ago, I found a little project called gamp that is sort of what I was looking for. It could use a little love though, so I think I may start playing with it. No point in focusing solely on the work I'm supposed to be doing.

Cheers,
~djc

My other computer is your Windows box.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an xmms2 in the works...no idea on the release date, atm my vote goes to rhythmbox its got nice orginization going for it...muine seems to be heading in the right direction I like the album fetching cover feature but it still has a way to go before I use it as my only standalone player gstreamer support would be nice, better orginization like rhythmbox etc...
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the bmp musepack plugin working? I can build and install libmusepack fine, but I cannot get the plugin to build.

I also cannot find a place to download the BMP-plugins-extra tarball from.
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to the person who posted the link to BeepMP. I've switched from XMMS and love it.

I've managed to get the XMMS AAC/MP4 plugin from faad2 to compile for BMP but it doesn't seem to work. After tinkering a bit now I'm just getting segfaults. Hopefully it'll be ported by someone more skilled than I soon.
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched to Rhythmbox and love it. I have been using beep-media-player-cvs for a while, but the Winamp2 look has been around for ages. Rhythmbox is cleaner and a lot nicer looking. As long as all your music is ID3 tagged (I use EasyTag also) you'll be all set.

The reason I stood clear of this program until now was because people in forums said it was unstable and crashed a lot. Well it hasn't crashed on me yet :D.
andrewski
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
I just switched to Rhythmbox and love it. I have been using beep-media-player-cvs for a while, but the Winamp2 look has been around for ages. Rhythmbox is cleaner and a lot nicer looking. As long as all your music is ID3 tagged (I use EasyTag also) you'll be all set.

Yes, I recently switched to rhythmbox too (it's what I originally asked for, eh?) and it's nice to have something integrated with the rest of my GTK; now the only thing left to fall is Opera. :twisted:

I was surprised how easy it was to give up multiple plugins and... I don't even remember what else XMMS had to offer. ;) At the end of the day folks, I just want to play some music.

But, now that you mention it, I'm a bit disappointed with its ID3 handling. Don't get me wrong; it's nice to have my meticulous tagging efforts appreciated in a clean library, but I make heavy use of the comment field (telling apart multiple recordings of the same work) and there's no way of supporting that in rhythmbox. Rather disappointing, so I'm going to do some searching/requesting on their mailing list.
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewski wrote:

But, now that you mention it, I'm a bit disappointed with its ID3 handling. Don't get me wrong; it's nice to have my meticulous tagging efforts appreciated in a clean library, but I make heavy use of the comment field (telling apart multiple recordings of the same work) and there's no way of supporting that in rhythmbox. Rather disappointing, so I'm going to do some searching/requesting on their mailing list.

I haven't been able to get rhythmbox to work well. My music library is large (about 45GB) with lots of different formats, tagging styles, etc and rhythmbox just isn't capable of organizing it in a functional way. For instance, I have a few albums that have multiple versions in different formats (MP3 and AAC, for instance) in my library and rhythmbox is unable to distinguish them. Somehow the app has to use the filesystem to help organize the music and not just the tags.

Ultimately I think the iTunes UI model just can't scale to where I need it.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link's new lindele app is very nice.

http://vortex.floppyhat.net/Screenshots/lindele.png
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
Link's new lindele app is very nice.

http://vortex.floppyhat.net/Screenshots/lindele.png

Got an ebuild?
And where are the C bindings for TagLib? Should they be in the main tarball of it?
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ebuild. just prefix it to /opt for easy removal..

And just emerge taglib to satisfy that dependency.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'' put my hands up for wxMusik... it's like rhythmbox, but nicer somehow. Bit buggy sometimes... the only way I was able to get it installed was by using breakmygentoo.

http://musik.berlios.de/

Other than that, it's great! I have a bugproblem with it now, so I switched to mpd+ncmpc/gmpc/mpc for the moment. Waiting for the newest version to come to bmg-main. (supports covers)
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahbuist wrote:
I'' put my hands up for wxMusik... it's like rhythmbox, but nicer somehow. Bit buggy sometimes... the only way I was able to get it installed was by using breakmygentoo.

http://musik.berlios.de/

Other than that, it's great! I have a bugproblem with it now, so I switched to mpd+ncmpc/gmpc/mpc for the moment. Waiting for the newest version to come to bmg-main. (supports covers)

It looks like rhythmbox.. just without all the stuff I like about Rhythmbox.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then what do you miss in it? I used both, but I found musik doing everything rhythmbox does, but slicker.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh Rhythm box behaves strangely... I start it and feed it /ftp2/mp3/ so it can fill its database up... then it just disappears reporting a "Killed" on the xterm where I started it. Funny. So I think, let's get rid of all the images and .nfos an stuff that's laying around, maybe it'll behave then. No luck, now there are only .mp3 and .mpc and rhythmbox still crashes. So I think (yeah I'm the thinkative type) what the hell, let's emerge muine. After compiling some other dependency the s.o.a.b. fails compiling muine. Tells me some uncool gtk-sharp / gnome-sharp / glade-sharp (seems like it's confused on the name of the damn package) is missing; I check and the bloody gtk-sharp is there. There are no gnome-sharp or glade-sharp in portage. So I think, hell let's emerge the whole gnome and try again. And that's what I do, only muine still says I'm missing that thing and I don't bloody know what nor why. So I think hey let's find out which directory freaks up rhythmbox and I find out its /ftp2/mp3/Strapping\ Young\ Lad/. Whaaaaat??? It doesn't like my favourite band?? That's how I find out that a single .wma in that directory actually made rhythmbox crash. Removed it and now it works fine. What a crazy world...
Any idea what's the matter with muine?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: