View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Has anyone updated to Gnome-2.1.1 :D ? Reply with quote

Anyone?

Is it usable?
:D

How can I solve all that mask probs?
spendabuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I just unmask it in the portage tree and did an emerge, I had two errors that I fixed and after that it installed fine. two things I noticed 1) it's fast and 2) the fonts are sharp and there is a slight change to the natilus side panel, and a few other changes. I think they are on the right track with this baby. :wink:
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what were the errors? and how did you fix them?
i wanted to unmask and emerge it, but the warning frightened me.
spendabuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akhkharu99 wrote:
what were the errors? and how did you fix them?
i wanted to unmask and emerge it, but the warning frightened me.

one error was that it couldn't download the file-roller app so I went to this site ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/desktop/2.1/2.1.1/sources and got it and put both the .tar and .bz2 files into /usr/portage/distfiles then I had to do a ebuild foo.ebuild digest and it was fine. the other error was with the eel ebuild I just did a emerge --noreplace gnome and it was fine.
[smeagol]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's xft2 :D

/me has been looking forward to that
johnio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be missing the dev-libs/libxslt-1.0.22 ebuild which is required.

I have done a bunch of emerge rsyncs but I only get up to dev-libs/libxslt-1.0.20.
stalynx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: werd Reply with quote

does the Gnome 2.1 build install over gnome 2.0? or are they seperated? I currently got Xft2 working with gnome 2.0 so is it worth it?
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnio, I also have the same problem. libgnomecanvas-2.1.0 wants the ebuild "dev-libs/libxslt-1.0.2.1" for me, which is not available on my system, even after multiple rsync's. I also went and searched in google for mirrors, which turned up random sites that had the same ebuild scripts that rysnc gives me (1.0.19 and 1.0.20). If someone has gotten past this and has built libgnomecanvas with this depedency resolved, please post the ebuild somewhere.

Heh I spent the last 2 days messing with beta Xfree, trying to compile pango from CVS. Woop, here comes a build! And an evolution 1.1.2 beta ebuild is supposed to be up tommorow, as noted here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=20043&highlight=unmasking+builds
(at the bottom)

Man I love gentoo.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how do we find out about the latest ebuilds like this? I didn't know there was a gnome 2.1beta ebuild until tonight; I don't ever get squat from search results in gentoo's bugzilla. Is there a better place to look?
spendabuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was to download the libgnomecanvas from here https://pageone.pointclark.net//pub/libs/ and untar it cd to the folder where I unziped it and did a manual install, I haven't had any problems yet since I installed 2.1. And yes it over writes 2.0.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for libxslt-1.0.22, go to ftp.gnome.org, download the source, then just copy the old (.20) ebuild to .22, run ebuild libxslt....22.ebuild digest, and compile ;)
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both problems should be fixed by now, if you had notified (bug/irc/email) me it would've been fixed sooner. I do not check the forums much so problems mentioned here usually don't reach me until someone mentions them.

And no there hasn't been an announcement so far, this leaves room for some smaller scale testing first.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: sorry ;) its easier to write in the forum than posting a good bugreport ... but IRC sounds like a really good idea ;)

btw, i got gnome 2.1 running now (after i nuked .gconf*), and the fonts really look faboulus ... the font configurator is SO nice :D

Now... are there xft2 patches for mozilla/phoenix somewhere ?
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.1.1 Reply with quote

Hi guys
I also unmasked gnome-2.1.1, last night.
Then I did a emerge clean to unmerge the old gnome... :D
But I have a several nautilus probs:
1) It's always complaining about /root/0 folder that does not exists. Strange
2) The nautilus themes do not work. That's really bad....
:?
Then file-roller doesn't open any packages...
But for the rest of it It's unbeleavably spectacular:D and pretty ;)

Good testing...
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: One More Thing Reply with quote

The screenshot applet takes transparent shot :?
xjeff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I unmasked and tried to emerge, but I couldn't get past installing pango. Here's the error:
Code:
/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image//usr/share/gtk-doc/html/pango
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image/usr/share
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image/usr/share/gtk-doc
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image/usr/share/gtk-doc/html
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/pango
(installfiles=`echo ./html/*`; \
if test "$installfiles" = './html/*'; \
then echo '-- Nothing to install' ; \
else \
  for i in $installfiles; do \
    echo '-- Installing '$i ; \
    /bin/install -c -m 644 $i /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image//usr/share/gtk-doc/html/pango; \
  done; \
  echo '-- Installing ./html/index.sgml' ; \
  /bin/install -c -m 644 ./html/index.sgml /var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/image//usr/share/gtk-doc/html/pango; \
fi)
-- Installing ./html/layout.gif
-- Installing ./html/index.sgml
/bin/install: cannot stat `./html/index.sgml': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/work/pango-1.1.2/docs'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/pango-1.1.2/work/pango-1.1.2/docs'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function einstall, Line 8, Exitcode 2
!!! einstall failed
xjeff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: ahh Reply with quote

Apparently this is Bug 9564 that requires the installation of sgmltools-lite. The easiest way is just to export USE="-doc". I answered my own question...but maybe this will help others. :oops:
suka
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.1.1 Reply with quote

Yoannez wrote:
Hi guys
I also unmasked gnome-2.1.1, last night.
Then I did a emerge clean to unmerge the old gnome... :D
But I have a several nautilus probs:
1) It's always complaining about /root/0 folder that does not exists. Strange
2) The nautilus themes do not work. That's really bad....
:?

Then file-roller doesn't open any packages...
But for the rest of it It's unbeleavably spectacular:D and pretty ;)

Good testing...

Got exactly the same problems...

Also File Roller still does not emerge right (tries to download the tar.bz2 which just isn't there on the supplied servers, and there is no digest for the tar.bz2)

BTW: Anyone noticed any differences when changing the Font Detail settings? Me not and I remember that there are immediately visible differences in Red Hat 8 (which already uses the new font config)
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fileroller problem as well, but in the ebuild file he has both SRC_URI fields commented out for some reason. He explains that the file-roller build is not on the gnome2 ftp's yet, and provides a mirror, which is fine, but it is commented out.

So, edit /usr/portage/app-arch/file-roller/file-roller.2.1.2.ebuild and uncomment the second SRC_URI="..." line, and you should be fine (worked for me).

Someone should notify the author... lol =) Great build script though. Ton of stuff to build, with no real "finalized" packages; must of been a pain to write.
johnio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: it does not even start Reply with quote

this happen when I try to start gnome:

(gnome_segv:4793): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1307 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gnome_segv:4793): CRITICAL **: file pango-context.c: line 509 (fallback_engine_shape): assertion `font != NULL' failed

** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 74 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...

GLib-ERROR **: Cannot create pipe main loop wake-up: Too many open files

aborting...

(process:4794): Gdk-CRITICAL (recursed) **: file gdkdisplay-x11.c: line 392 (gdk_display_pointer_ungrab): assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
aborting...
Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my X11 buids failed, because it was linking X11's include/liub directory before the /usr/lib and /usr/include directories, which had the new font config/xft stuff in them; not sure why one was included before the other, but I ended up making simlinks in my X11/lib and X11/include directories to the appropriate libraries and headers located in the /usr/include directories. Maybe it's just my system.
zenexsys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how to get file-roller to work

Open up:

/usr/portage/app-arch/file-roller/file-roller-2.1.2.ebuild

Replace this line:
#SRC_URI="http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.1/2.1.0/sources/${P}.tar.bz2"

With this line:
SRC_URI="http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.1/2.1.1/sources/file-roller-2.1.2.tar.bz2"

The author has been notified via email so once he update the ebuild, you won't have to do this.

BTW, anyone else notices the nice speed boost in gnome 2.1.1?
zenexsys

Last edited by zenexsys on Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice speed boosts? Who cares about speed!! It's sooo prett-ae!!!! The fonts are GORGEOUS and gnome's font manager has a plethora of preferences - it's incredible! You can choose 4 different "AA" modes, including non-AA'd, and it has options for cleartype (AA for LCD's) and many other options in "advanced preferences". And behold, a feature I've never had before - every last one of my fonts were detected!!!! I have everything! My desktop looks great because I have 181208321039812098 fonts to choose from instead of 2 of my custom ones and 1/2 of the default installed ones, lol! Gnome2.1=the greatest
Things crash randomly, but they're services I don't even recognize, such as "acme" so I have no problems with it.

Man do I love fontconfig. It rocks. No work at all, it just "works", finally, and it is consistent. Everything should be using fontconfig. Also, the fonts are very sharp and nice (for me, I don't have an LCD BTW), I think due to the xft2 'font rendering correction patch' included in the ebuild of xft2.

I also installed the ebuild of the beta evolution, which is in one of the posts above (the url to it anyway). It's so nice! I'm very happy with it so far, and lo and behold: a filter action that can pipe the current message to a command line command!!! Hello spamAssasin!! Previously (for me), one had to click on each and every spam message, right click on "add to filters", and then click on the action "delete" when the dialog appeared - of course they didn't have any shortcut keys so everything was mouse driven, and adding 20 new messages of spam each email-check took forever. Now one can just pipe it to a filter program, most notably spam-assassin.

I do have one complaint, but it has nothing to do with gnome 2.1 (go figure). It's about nautilus, and it has been present ever since nautilus started supporting smb:// addresses. When something is mounted through samba, a shortcut appears to that drive on the nautilus desktop (pretty cool). Unfortunatley, it appears right over all of my other icons, either my home icon or a drive icon, or something. Anyway, an auto-arrange feature would be nice (unless there's one in gconf, which I didn't notice, or one actually on the menu, in which catch I'm blind).

Yep. Been trying to do all of this stuff by hand on builds that would not work for the past week now, because I just kind of "suddenly" lost all font detection and AA ability, and was trying to use fontconfig for detection. Now all of a sudden it's here. Can you tell I'm satisfied? WOohoo!!
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated to gnome 2.1 and seems to have a slight problem. The version of nautilus it pulls dosn't start. It just sits there after I've type 'nautilus' in an gnome-terminal. Naturally, when trying to start gnome-session it hangs duo to nautilus (I would think anyway). Any clue ?
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a devel version and you can't expect it to work. If it does, you are lucky. If it doesn't : too bad. Oh and as usual : check your optimisations and tune them down.

And Yoanezz, about 2 : the theme support has changed, so your old nautilus themes won't work (well except for the throbber really ;)).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: