Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emerge rsync complaint
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Emerge rsync complaint Reply with quote

I noticed today while doing an emerge rsync that it connected to a mirror -I believe it was gatech.edu - and mentioned that "all access to this system is logged". It was my understanding rsyncing with gentoo would be anonymous. Am I wrong?

If it is anonymous, as much as I appreciate someones need to stay secure, I can't say I appreciate such a thing on a server that's supposed to be anonymous (doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of anonymity?).

If it's not, I guess I'll just deal with it, even though I don't like crap logging me for doing something as benign as emerge rsync.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the impression that rsync access was supposed to be anonymous. Did you see this posted somewhere?

However, the only thing that's getting logged is your IP address -- you're not submitting a username and/or password, so there's not much else they *can* log. (ok, maybe they log the number of bytes you download.)

You do realize, don't you, that every single web and FTP site you visit likely logs the exact same information that this place is logging.

Guess I don't really see the Big Deal here.

--kurt
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to draw a line. What if the server gets compromised and there are no logs? How do you know who hacked the box?

All hits on my webserver are logged (if you are reading this message, your request was logged), and phpBB itself logs who posted what message. Now, I rarely ever look at these logs, I might use them to draw some graphs and plot some statistics. It isn't like I'm going to run some huge query and single you out from the other several million hits in the logs. If my server gets attacked, I will start looking... ;)

All the rsync server has on you is that your ip was xx.xx.xx.xx, and you requested this file on this day, this file on this day.

Maybe the page you read meant anonymous login, like anonymous ftp?

Bascially, every server on the internet logs some amount of data on its users, so that in the event of a compromise, attack or even crash (yes, Linux does crash...), the administrators have some point to start their investigation.

I think you should be more worried about the information collected about your system from those advertising companies, whose statistics are gathered in the background while you read an article on some huge portal site.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: